Bill

Championship games Weds night

Would love to see Brentford go up (particularly at the expense of Leeds - unlikely with so few games left, I know).  The Prem hate teams like Brentford whilst so-called bigger clubs - Sunderland, WBA, Forest etc lurk elsewhere.

I don't have any issue with WBA. Never had any problems on visits to and from the Hawthorns and their fans seem a pretty realistic bunch.  Happy with Brentford going up. The Pundits in the PL do little homework about promoted sides (cue 'he gives it to him who gives it to him and the number 9 scores') and have their favourites. Take Lawrenson for example in his preview of Brighton v Southampton, there is no mention of the Saints at all.  5 live last night from about 1945 was discussing our season and approach had 'pundits' in the form of Steven Warnock, Andy Reid and Karen Carney (who was 'infuriated' with Norwich - claiming that we were all about the business side). I get the point she was trying to make but do your research to understand the narrative to provide an informed opinion. The same when we sacked Hughton and Shearer's 'I don't know what they want down there' . Again, do your research, when you've seen his negative tactics week in week out.

The championship shake up next year could be looking thin on the ground derby wise except for Villa Brum, Swansea Cardiff - all dependent on league placings. Yes there are local derbies e.g. QPR v Millwall and Preston v Blackburn but Sky's slots rely generally on having a marketable game depending on what PL games are being shown.

We know this division well enough to know it is unforgiving and Wycombe and Rotherham aren't just there to make up the numbers. We need a change of some players who will ultimately be suffering mentally from the losing habit.

This isn't done and dusted yet by any means, if Brentford win tonight (already 1-0 up) then both WBA and Leeds will feel the pressure.

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

This isn't done and dusted yet by any means, if Brentford win tonight (already 1-0 up) then both WBA and Leeds will feel the pressure.

Brentford win.

Win their final two games and hope Leeds lose at Derby and Brentford are up on goal difference

The same if WBA draw one of the final two games

Surely Leeds can't far kit up again.... can they 🙄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship

I can see Brentford picking up the six points available

I can't see WBA dropping points against H'Field or QPR

But I can see Leeds dropping points at Derby, not v Barnsley or Charlton

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can see Brentford picking up the six points available

I can't see WBA dropping points against H'Field or QPR

But I can see Leeds dropping points at Derby, not v Barnsley or Charlton

So with that scenario Leeds still go up. 

• Thanks 1

I still think Leeds but WBA have not played that well since the restart. Brentford could well still do it.

Stoke are nearly safe so Brentford should win but Huddersfield aren't safe so WBA could drop a couple of points there.

Like lots of posters, I want Brentford to go up but I expect Leeds to all but confirm promotion tomorrow with a win over Barnsley. They then only need a point from their last two and maybe not even that. West Brom look the most vulnerable of the 3 teams.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So with that scenario Leeds still go up. 

oh dear 😳

humble apologies MY

teach me to be a bit too over excited about Leeds failing

you are correct

Edited by Bill

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear 😳

humble apologies MY

teach me to be a bit too over excited about Leeds failing

you are correct

Who’s going down though? Points deductions may come into it and so many in the mix. 

The bottom three as it stands look the most likely

Wigan need to maintain their 12 point gap from the bottom three and should go some way to that against Charlton, though I doubt that will be added to in their final game v Fulham

Barnsley with games v Leeds, Brentford and Forest look unlikely to pick up enough to avoid the drop

Hull v Luton will end the hopes of one or both as only a max 3 points avoids relegation

Charlton v Leeds and Wigan, may well have to hope those below don't make up the 2 points as being their best hope

otherwise great to watch from a 'safe' distance 🙂

• Like 1

With it looking likely that the three league one promoted clubs are instantly relegated doesn't give much future hope for the also-rans in mid-table..

In reality Derby can't get into the play-offs now so who knows how they'll play on Sunday and Charlton may still need something from the last game so that could be tricky which means a win is a must tonight. WBA seem to have lost their way though and will have to win both of their games I feel.

19 hours ago, Canary73 said:

I don't have any issue with WBA. Never had any problems on visits to and from the Hawthorns and their fans seem a pretty realistic bunch.  Happy with Brentford going up. The Pundits in the PL do little homework about promoted sides (cue 'he gives it to him who gives it to him and the number 9 scores') and have their favourites. Take Lawrenson for example in his preview of Brighton v Southampton, there is no mention of the Saints at all.  5 live last night from about 1945 was discussing our season and approach had 'pundits' in the form of Steven Warnock, Andy Reid and Karen Carney (who was 'infuriated' with Norwich - claiming that we were all about the business side). I get the point she was trying to make but do your research to understand the narrative to provide an informed opinion. The same when we sacked Hughton and Shearer's 'I don't know what they want down there' . Again, do your research, when you've seen his negative tactics week in week out.

The championship shake up next year could be looking thin on the ground derby wise except for Villa Brum, Swansea Cardiff - all dependent on league placings. Yes there are local derbies e.g. QPR v Millwall and Preston v Blackburn but Sky's slots rely generally on having a marketable game depending on what PL games are being shown.

We know this division well enough to know it is unforgiving and Wycombe and Rotherham aren't just there to make up the numbers. We need a change of some players who will ultimately be suffering mentally from the losing habit.

When west Brom were in the Prem they were exactly what I wished we were-

A well supported, max attendance midtable top division club. Sure, they might have played boring at times but at least they were stable in the Prem for quite a few years.

Leeds tonight against Barnsley. In their own hands. Reckon a win then that final needed point against Derby.

6 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Leeds tonight against Barnsley. In their own hands. Reckon a win then that final needed point against Derby.

I can't see them losing to Barnsley, but any dropped points will make the trip to Derby that more ';edgy' and would be great to see it all go down to the last day

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/scores-fixtures/2020-07?filter=fixtures

11 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

A win would seem the obvious outcome but as we all know the Championship is unpredictable and Barnsley aren't a bad side.

Also I guess this qualifies as a derby so they will definitely be up for it, especially if it impacts Leeds promotion.

We also know that over the last few years Leeds crumble under pressure and they will ne feeling it tonight, plus I saw that Phillips is now injured and won't play any further part.

Squeaky bum time in Leeds later.

Haven't Barnsley have got one of those stinking rich Chinese/American owners? They will surely survive. Leeds better be careful....

They look doomed now. Looking more and more like a second relegation to league one for the stinking rich Chinese/American..

The fact that Barnsley will be relagted on 43 plus points doesn't bode well for our season next.

Pretty mad really, anyone remember when West Ham were relagated from the prem with similar points and everyone went crazy about it and how 'unfair' it was to go down with so many points?

4 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

A win would seem the obvious outcome but as we all know the Championship is unpredictable and Barnsley aren't a bad side.

Also I guess this qualifies as a derby so they will definitely be up for it, especially if it impacts Leeds promotion.

We also know that over the last few years Leeds crumble under pressure and they will ne feeling it tonight, plus I saw that Phillips is now injured and won't play any further part.

Squeaky bum time in Leeds later.

Only one winner tonight 😉

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The fact that Barnsley will be relagted on 43 plus points doesn't bode well for our season next.

Pretty mad really, anyone remember when West Ham were relagated from the prem with similar points and everyone went crazy about it and how 'unfair' it was to go down with so many points?

I thought the bar was always set at 50 points to be safe?

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

They look doomed now. Looking more and more like a second relegation to league one for the stinking rich Chinese/American.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but

"since taking over Barnsley FC, the club use data model originally practiced in baseball in the U.S, focus on signing talented young players and achieved great success with the data-based player analysis and player identification"

Come back Doris Stokes 😂

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I thought the bar was always set at 50 points to be safe?

you are getting confused with the PL

when any club finishing with less than 40 points is automatically relegated

(see posts on here)

On 14/07/2020 at 20:09, Indy said:

I’d rather Derby go up, I think they might be the team to beat next year if they stay down. I’m not sure how Covid will effect the EFL FFP situation for next year.

Maybe Derby can sell their turnstiles back to their owner for a few £million.

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Got the points but not without a fight for them, especially as Barnsley are bottom, but well done 😉

Yup, fair play to Barnsley, they gave us a game and no mistake.