Sideshow Tim

What will you miss about the Premier League?

No, nothing either. Only in it for the money. VAR, MOTD, Talk****e, Mourinho, Liverpool, 5live bulletins etc, etc. All can sod off as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 2

Interesting we have consensus. I will add similar feelings. I enjoy the battle to get there and once the season starts I'm more bored than the Championship. It's like a book you've read many times and know the ending. Perhaps if we had an amazing year then it would be great (Sheff Utd fans have probably loved it). Yet, the cards are stacked aren't they?

Did anyone see the stats that the average time spent in the PL (save for the 8 teams that have never been relegated) is 3.8 years. We must have brought that average right down 😐. There is an 86% chance of relegation ever since the PL began. Not great odds!

Watford, Brighton, Palace, are examples of teams that often struggle every year then survive. On top of that promoted teams often have one if not two going back down. Us and Villa perhaps this year. Bournemouth may join us later. Would anyone have bet they would stay there for another 5 years? I doubt it. It may be hard for Sheff Utd and other less rich teams as well as the promoted teams next year. 

This isn't sour grapes on my part but I do enjoy the lower leagues. And no VAR!!

• Like 1

It must be hellish to be a fan of a team that spends four years struggling to avoid relegation each season to then drop out on the fifth year.

All the real fun is in trying to get to the EPL. 

• Like 4

I’ll miss the coverage, I’ll miss seeing my club up there next to the Manchester City’s, Liverpool’s and Manchester United’s of the world. I’ll miss going to see my team play at huge, amazing stadiums full of fans. I’ll miss hearing my team talked about on the radio, on the national podcasts etc. I’ll miss watching my team go up against the best players in the world, week in, week out, and seeing magical moments on the pitch like us beating Man City at home against all odds.

I certainly won’t miss some Norwich fans endlessly whining about the Premier League and being happy about relegation and saying they prefer the Champs, which is just indicative of a total lack of ambition and a willingness not to strive for better, when the club could be so much more than it is at the moment.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’ll miss the coverage, I’ll miss seeing my club up there next to the Manchester City’s, Liverpool’s and Manchester United’s of the world. I’ll miss going to see my team play at huge, amazing stadiums full of fans. I’ll miss hearing my team talked about on the radio, on the national podcasts etc. I’ll miss watching my team go up against the best players in the world, week in, week out, and seeing magical moments on the pitch like us beating Man City at home against all odds.

I certainly won’t miss some Norwich fans endlessly whining about the Premier League and being happy about relegation and saying they prefer the Champs, which is just indicative of a total lack of ambition and a willingness not to strive for better, when the club could be so much more than it is at the moment.

Fair enough, CW, you're more for the prestige than the game itself...

I'd rather the Manchester’s, Liverpool’s and major London sides f--offed into some form of European Super League that we could still qualify for via promotion from the English First Division.

Take a look at the top & bottom halves of the Premier League and tell me it's not time for change?

It's farcical, mate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But the coverage is a double edged sword. As someone that needs to arrange his weekends so I'm not working to get to the games, to go to massive lengths to do this only to have the game moved because Sky want to cover the game is - to put it politely - rather inconvenient!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

If you think we were ' up there ' with those huge teams you mentioned ,then you are more deluded than I thought. Coverage is either patronising or  dismissive. The odds for us to beat man city were around 20/1 , which is about right, not against all odds. Get a grip of your immature emotions. No point being in tbe Prem until we can make a decent fist of it( except to collect the dosh ). The reality of this season was explained clearly, those who chose not to listen are now upset. Cue whining about investment etc. Its only your club because you chose to support it, unless you are holding a position on the board you have no say in how its run. You dont seem unintelligent. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

I’ll kick things off......absolutely nothing!!

Soon as I read the title of the thread my instant reaction was also..........absolutely nothing.

Slightly surprised but pleased to see plenty of others saying the same 😁

18 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

The streams.

There will be streams for most games next season, plus ,less than a fiver a month will get you iplayer or whatever its called now.  

I will miss the constant whining on here about money, or moreover our lack of it.

More of a level playing field next season, in fact tilted in our favour. Let's see how good we are.

There is plenty of good coverage if you know where to look. I will miss seeing analysis from non-Norwich City fans - which is hard when the club is in the Championship. 

It is also the challenge I will miss. While of course the Championship is a huge challenge and I do not underestimate how hard it will be to get top 6 - in the last 10 years Norwich have managed it a few times, what they haven’t managed is surviving in the Prem for more than a couple of seasons. Establishing themselves in the Prem is the something Norwich have never done. 

Also, being in the Prem means be able to get and keep hold of better players. Slipping to the Championship may see the club lose some of the best players ever brought through the academy - when was the last time a Norfolk born and bred player made such a contribution to the first team and got into the England set-up? Relegation means it is unlikely the best player from Norfolk remains at the club. 

Will also miss the money from the Prem. While in the Championship the money earned from TV and ticket sales isn’t enough to sustain Norwich with a team that can challenge for the top 6 - so it means player sales are required and too long a stay will start to threaten the long term future of the club.

So, in my view, there is plenty to miss from leaving the Prem and while going down inevitably means Norwich will win more games it also means each win means a little less. For me, the potential highs of the Premier League are far higher than the Championship and the lows aren’t as low as they can be in the Championship. 

• Like 6

Hello Corky,

39 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

If you think we were ' up there ' with those huge teams you mentioned ,then you are more deluded than I thought. 

Come on now - that's a tad unnecessary. That's the kind of opening sentence I'd expect from Bill. I don't think Wundaboy is for one minute stating we are as good as the best of the league (I'd settle for being as good as West Ham... 🤮) but rather that he takes pride in us being in the same league as the them and trying our best to compete, however badly we might have done it.

56 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No point being in tbe Prem until we can make a decent fist of it( except to collect the dosh ). 

When would that be then? Shall we tell Farke not to bother next year? Aim for 10th maybe? If we as a club aren't always striving to do better, to improve, to learn from what we did wrong, we certainly won't have to worry about the Premier League again. However, I'm sure after a few turgid seasons in the Championship (or worse) you opinion might have changed...

Anyway, off to work for me. Have a good day! 👍

OTBC

• Like 2

There are times when you have to admire the quality of football you’re watching in front of you, the skill and pace of some players is so much better than in the championship 

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello Corky,

Come on now - that's a tad unnecessary. That's the kind of opening sentence I'd expect from Bill. I don't think Wundaboy is for one minute stating we are as good as the best of the league (I'd settle for being as good as West Ham... 🤮) but rather that he takes pride in us being in the same league as the them and trying our best to compete, however badly we might have done it.

When would that be then? Shall we tell Farke not to bother next year? Aim for 10th maybe? If we as a club aren't always striving to do better, to improve, to learn from what we did wrong, we certainly won't have to worry about the Premier League again. However, I'm sure after a few turgid seasons in the Championship (or worse) you opinion might have changed...

Anyway, off to work for me. Have a good day! 👍

OTBC

Granted, a little sharp there, apologies  to cwb. 👍 

I just think that until  some real investment comes, we should concentrate  on building slowly  . Strong things need strong foundations..  unfortunatly starting work now too.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

If you think we were ' up there ' with those huge teams you mentioned ,then you are more deluded than I thought. Coverage is either patronising or  dismissive. The odds for us to beat man city were around 20/1 , which is about right, not against all odds. Get a grip of your immature emotions. No point being in tbe Prem until we can make a decent fist of it( except to collect the dosh ). The reality of this season was explained clearly, those who chose not to listen are now upset. Cue whining about investment etc. Its only your club because you chose to support it, unless you are holding a position on the board you have no say in how its run. You dont seem unintelligent. 

Hello Mr Patronising. When we’re competing in the same league as them then yes, we are “up there” with them, as far as “up there” is in the same division. Our clubs appear in the same league table etc. We’re competing alongside and against the best. That’s far more exciting to me than being in the same division as Rotherham, Preston, Luton etc. My emotions aren’t immature, they’re born of ambition and a belief that we as a club deserve to be competing at that level. There’s no reason other than finance that we can’t, we have the fan base, no competing clubs nearby, a history of competing in that league (founding members) and we’re based in a great city. So the only reason we can’t compete and establish ourselves at that level is money, and that comes down to the ownership. In my personal life I always strive to do better, that’s how I earned my law degree, that’s why I have a job in the city, how I own my own home at 32 and take considered risks in order to move myself up in life. I want my club to show the same level of ambition. It’s the people like you who are the problem in my eyes, that blindly accept the club when they accept relegation before a ball has been kicked and constantly talk down our chances and say it’s impossible for us to compete at the EPL level, when the questions should be “why can’t we compete” and “so what has to change”, and then making that change happen. And no I don’t hold a position on the board so I don’t have a say about how it’s run, but I can damn sure voice my opinion on a message board like everyone else including yourself.

I’m a passionate fan who wants to see the club they love competing at the top of the game and being successful. I make zero apologies for that, even if my conclusion as to how we get there is different to anyone else’s.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’m a passionate fan who wants to see the. Pub they love competing at the top of the game and being successful. 

Fruedian slip😁🍾

Just now, ricardo said:

Fruedian slip😁🍾

Holding a 6 month old in one arm and typing on a phone with the other isn’t the easiest thing in the world!

• Haha 1

As above really - not much. There are bragging rights when you’re in the prem and wider access to coverage, comment and TV. But you can get all of that (albeit in smaller harder to find doses) anyway. 

But there is also a bit of kidding ourselves here. If we’d finished top half, having been in and around European places all season, with the potential to build and push for European places next season (like Sheff Utd for instance), then there’s no way we’d be saying we’d rather be in the championship.

Sonyc mentioned an average of 3.8 years in the prem... that’s a good amount imo. 4 seasons to try and sneak into Euro league positions and have a European run... But if you haven’t done it by then, you may as well get relegated and enjoy the ups and downs rather than finish 12th for a decade with your only excitement being a cup quarter final defeat to Man City...

Edited by Aggy

All this pleasure at NCFC leaving the Premier League contrasts so very sharply with the unabound celebrations in the City when we got promoted last year, and indeed the great pleasure and excitement experienced some three years before when Alex Neil's side were victorious at Wembley. Remember? That great Wembley outing that many still fondly recall.

Open top bus parades, crowds filling the streets and that momentous occasion on the balcony of the City Hall.Great memories for sure.

Something doesn't ring true in a lot of the above postings and it all resembles a thread on that losers forum, TWTD, whose members always seem to resent everything about the game which is beyond them.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

All this pleasure at NCFC leaving the Premier League contrasts so very sharply with the unabound celebrations in the City when we got promoted last year, and indeed the great pleasure and excitement experienced some three years before when Alex Neil's side were victorious at Wembley. Remember? That great Wembley outing that many still fondly recall.

Open top bus parades, crowds filling the streets and that momentous occasion on the balcony of the City Hall.Great memories for sure.

Something doesn't ring true in a lot of the above postings and it all resembles a thread on that losers forum, TWTD, whose members always seem to resent everything about the game which is beyond them.

They don’t like it because we’re not very good in it these days. Funny thing is everyone’s favourite players remembered are from past top flight Norwich City teams. 

Well, being a bit of an old git, I tend to enjoy whatever league we're in unless we are absolute pants - which accounts for a couple of Prem relegation seasons (notably the Hughton era) and some dire Championship seasons culminating in the drop to League 1.  I have enjoyed going to a few new grounds this year - including the very windy trip to Brighton (mainly because of some cracking beers in Lewes!).  With regard to the football this year, it's been pretty dire post-lockdown but I thought the writing was on the wall even back as far as the Burnley away game.  Having said that, prior to lockdown I've enjoyed most of our home games as  they have all been entertaining - whatever the outcome - Man City obviously stands out but Newcastle,  Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man  United and Leicester were all entertaining in contrast to that Hughton season when the only game I  can remember as being entertaining was the Liverpool home game and we lost  that!!!  Have enjoyed seeing some great players this year but next season will be looking forward to:-

No VAR, more games at reasonable times, the New York Tavern (Rotherham) , meeting up with one of my best mates from uni (Coventry fan) and going to Wycombe (for the first time since our FA Cup trip the day after Mike Walker pi**ed off).

Obviously, the big spanner in the works is if some, all or any of us are allowed to attend in the forthcoming season -  seeing  what's happening elsewhere and with dire predictions about the impact of a second wave I wouldn't at all be surprised we you don't see any  sort  of crowd at Carrow Road this side of Christmas if not until the 2021-22 season.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

The joy of winning the league you are in is something wonderful. And we have been promoted enough times to want it on a regular basis. 

But the knowledge that you are going to lose at least twice as many times as you get a result is not appealing.

But what can you do? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Funny thing is everyone’s favourite players remembered are from past top flight Norwich City teams. 

Not from the past 5 years they're not. Funnily enough many of my recent happy memories were from being in League 1 and the Championship....along with the players that played!! 

• Like 1