Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

We had no luck

Looking back we can all see we had no luck during this season. You need luck with var ,injuries, empty carrow road,we had none,.They say it evens itself out over the season, it did not.

We had no plan B, no tactical nous, no fighting spirt, no defensive organisation, luck has nothing to do with it. I’m sick of hearing about injuries to defenders. We waited all season for Klose to come back and he been awful. A fit back four couldn’t defend in the championship the same players were never going to be better in the Premiership. Not defending the way we set up.

Forget luck.  As a club we Fu@ked up royally. And the manager has to take his share of the blame!

We used up our luck last year with all those late goals and few injuries. 

We've had a disappointing season. There are numerous reasons for this. Some things we could've done better. Hopefully we learn from those,  move on and plan for the next one. 

• Like 1

You make your own luck to a certain extent, but like Godfrey's super strike against the bar and Idah's header against the inside of the post, sometimes luck is not on your side. 

Var has been an insidious blight on everyone this season, but when you are at the bottom and var goes against you, it feels worse.

Despite what the dinosaurs say, injuries have been our Achilles heel. If Zimmermann had been fit, I believe our defensive play would have been stronger. He is just the kind of inspiring figure at the back that we needed this season. Him and Hanley would have been a strong combo - and Godfrey has been at his best at the back when he had Zombo as a partner. So yes injuries have been key. 

The lockdown was the final straw. Everything against us, bottom of the table, no fans to inspire the team on, any benefit from the Leicester win and better performances around then gone. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You make your own luck to a certain extent, but like Godfrey's super strike against the bar and Idah's header against the inside of the post, sometimes luck is not on your side. 

Var has been an insidious blight on everyone this season, but when you are at the bottom and var goes against you, it feels worse.

Despite what the dinosaurs say, injuries have been our Achilles heel. If Zimmermann had been fit, I believe our defensive play would have been stronger. He is just the kind of inspiring figure at the back that we needed this season. Him and Hanley would have been a strong combo - and Godfrey has been at his best at the back when he had Zombo as a partner. So yes injuries have been key. 

The lockdown was the final straw. Everything against us, bottom of the table, no fans to inspire the team on, any benefit from the Leicester win and better performances around then gone. 

Most would agree ,we were unlucky.But hopefully our luck will change next season and we will have fewer injuries to contend with.

2 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Most would agree ,we were unlucky.But hopefully our luck will change next season and we will have fewer injuries to contend with.

Fail to prepare means you prepare to fail.

Last season we conceded a shed load of goals and needed to address this to survive in the Premier League. 

We didn't deal with it so we conceded a shed load of goals and we're relegated. 

That's not bad luck, that's just stupidity. 

• Like 2

An interesting stat:

43% of our points this season have come from games against Man City, Spurs, Leicester and Arsenal apparently. Tweet.

Yet didn't we lose at home to Arsenal?

The general point being we got points against higher placed teams.

Edited by sonyc

Fintan Ndinya on Twitter: "The harder I practice, the luckier I ...

We have not worked hard enough to deserve any luck and we got what luck we deserved, none.

We have simply strolled through the last 6 games - no plan, no effort, no urgency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Because you say so!

does your arrogance know any bounds.

Just now, Hardhouse44 said:

Because you say so!

does your arrogance know any bounds.

I speak what I find and if it sounds arrogant, so be it, i don't mean to be.....and tbh, If people are really so ignorant about the point that injuries were a key factor this season, then really, that is up to them, but it makes them look a bit daft.  It may or may not have kept us up to have a settled defence, but it certainly would have helped! 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

We were in exactly the same situation as everybody else during lockdown and we faced exactly the same problems as all the other Clubs.

Bottom line is we failed to deal with it

Everybody knew that Project Restart was going to happen sooner or later but we were obviously banking on null & void.

Other Clubs prepared for restart but in the 6 games we've played since it has been obvious that our preparations, in every department, have been inadequate.

We only have ourselves to blame and it's got nothing to due with external influences because all our problems are within the Club.

Edited by Making Plans

I saw that we were 2nd in the league for hitting the woodwork at the start of the month. Don’t know if we are still. 

13 times, imagine if 4-5 had gone in.

Edited by Decemberists

1 minute ago, Decemberists said:

I saw that we were 2nd in the league for hitting the woodwork at the start of the month. Don’t know if we are still. 

13 times, imagine if 4-5 had gone in.

If, if, if, if, if, if, if, and what if.

Luck is a random event of good fortune. It is not something that can be manufactured and if you could it wouldn't qualify as luck.

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

We were in exactly the same situation as everybody else during lockdown and we faced exactly the same situation as everybody else

What?  So everyone has been affected by the pandemic exactly the same? Are you sure about that?  Do you know the personal experiences of everyone at the club during that time?  Those that travelled home abroad to be with family, those that may have had family members or friends affected? 

Just another example of someone treating players and staff at the club as if they are just robots, not human beings. The lockdown destroyed the season as a meaningful enterprise once they decided to cram all those games together, allow so many extra subs - all of which favoured the clubs with more resources. 

Hi Dinosaur here,

So are you saying that we got affected more than anybody else in the premier league? The evidence for this being? We were bottom already you know....

Love Barney

We were indeed very unlucky with defensive injuries. However, the failure to secure one or two more decent CBs BEFORE the season commenced is not luck in any sense and that particular area has been our undoing, full stop!

the restart was never going to suit us. The team relies on the home crowd and momentum during matches. Without the crowd its 11 v 11 and our 11 need a good home support to get results. 

Hey ho, we're relegated for the umpteenth time in my supporting city life. However, I certainly do not follow the feeling that we will simply bounce back from the most competitive league in the world.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, East Rider said:

We were indeed very unlucky with defensive injuries. However, the failure to secure one or two more decent CBs BEFORE the season commenced is not luck in any sense and that particular area has been our undoing, full stop!

the restart was never going to suit us. The team relies on the home crowd and momentum during matches. Without the crowd its 11 v 11 and our 11 need a good home support to get results. 

Hey ho, we're relegated for the umpteenth time in my supporting city life. However, I certainly do not follow the feeling that we will simply bounce back from the most competitive league in the world.

You think we should have had *SIX* other CBs? And the extra two should have been decent? So better than some of the existing four? 1) how much would we have had to pay for them and 2) would four of these six CBs have been happy to potentially spend all season not playing, and quite possibly not even making the bench?

Pure hindsight.

I love DF being here, he and Webber have worked wonders in just 2 and a half seasons, on and off the pitch, but i must say i really dont like the zonal type of defence, it just doesnt work in our leagues. Add that to the most cruel injury hit central defensive situation that we  have had all thru the season, even at the end of it and for me its no surprise we ship in to many goals past Krul.

Alex Neil had a shoddy defence to in his time here, ironically i feel Zimbo, Godfrey, Hanley and Klose are way better than Martin, Bassong, Turner and Bennett ever were, but injuries and that dang zonal defence have ripped  the defence to shreds this season. Luck does play a part in most things, but its overplayed, also luck can be good as well as bad. Been so many seasons now  where we still await a solid defence at the club, even longer a solid defence coupled with a stinging attack.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

You think we should have had *SIX* other CBs? And the extra two should have been decent? So better than some of the existing four? 1) how much would we have had to pay for them and 2) would four of these six CBs have been happy to potentially spend all season not playing, and quite possibly not even making the bench?

Pure hindsight.

I never said we needed six 'OTHER' CBs. An Additional one or two was what I said, and yes decent would have been helpful.

It's not hindsight though, is it? We started the campaign with a poor defensive record from the season before. One of the CBs was clearly not wanted and was available for sale/loan (Hanley) another was injured before the transfer window shut, one was a very young, inexperienced ex midfielder, and that left Zimmermann. 

No hindsight necessary there. Foresight perhaps yes that may have helped. Hindsight, certainly not. 

No idea how much we we would have had to pay for a CB, certainly less than the loss of relegation, not sure why you're asking me that question.

In fact as has been proven this campaign, another CB or even two would not have spent all season not playing and would certainly have made the bench at the very least. 

Are you saying we had enough CB cover at the start of the PL campaign considering how the goals against column looked in the chumps?

• Thanks 1

"Slick technique can be fools gold in the Premier League" and "we need to toughen up" according to this view from the outside.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jul/13/norwich-slick-technique-fools-gold-premier-league-relegation-daniel-farke?__twitter_impression=true

Seems like a pretty accurate take: we were worked out, set pieces and out of position fullbacks became an achilles heel regualry exploited, confidence and vibrancy drained and there was no plan b in the 'philosophy'

• Like 1

The late Jimmy Sirrell of Notts County fame, was a great football philosopher and a man of very few words, most of them unprintable. In reply to a question from a pesky sports reporter he once put the science of successful football thus:

"If you want to win matches you have to score goals. If you don't want to lose matches you mustn't let goals in. It's fu****g simple." As Jim would have said, it's got f**k all to do with luck.

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

What?  So everyone has been affected by the pandemic exactly the same? Are you sure about that?  Do you know the personal experiences of everyone at the club during that time?  Those that travelled home abroad to be with family, those that may have had family members or friends affected?

No, but neither do you.

As usual, you are only guessing and making up any old excuse for some diabolical performances.

Anything to try and shift the blame away from Farke and the players.

As I said, whatever happened we didn't deal with it.

5 hours ago, NCFCInnit said:

The late Jimmy Sirrell of Notts County fame, was a great football philosopher and a man of very few words, most of them unprintable. In reply to a question from a pesky sports reporter he once put the science of successful football thus:

"If you want to win matches you have to score goals. If you don't want to lose matches you mustn't let goals in. It's fu****g simple." As Jim would have said, it's got f**k all to do with luck.

Old school British footballing philosophy sounds just like old school British football these days: simple, direct and magnificently, uselessly ineffective 

15 hours ago, East Rider said:

I never said we needed six 'OTHER' CBs. An Additional one or two was what I said, and yes decent would have been helpful.

It's not hindsight though, is it? We started the campaign with a poor defensive record from the season before. One of the CBs was clearly not wanted and was available for sale/loan (Hanley) another was injured before the transfer window shut, one was a very young, inexperienced ex midfielder, and that left Zimmermann. 

No hindsight necessary there. Foresight perhaps yes that may have helped. Hindsight, certainly not. 

No idea how much we we would have had to pay for a CB, certainly less than the loss of relegation, not sure why you're asking me that question.

In fact as has been proven this campaign, another CB or even two would not have spent all season not playing and would certainly have made the bench at the very least. 

Are you saying we had enough CB cover at the start of the PL campaign considering how the goals against column looked in the chumps?

The bit in bold is hindsight. Look at other PL clubs - how many of those had three injured CBs at same time this season?

You're right, my wording was clumsy in saying "six other" CBs, but nevertheless, you seem to be saying we should have gone into this season with six CBs. That only makes sense in hindsight.

I agree that our defensive record was not good and we should have done something to tighten up, but buying two more CBs wasn't the answer.

Edited by Nuff Said

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

The bit in bold is hindsight. Look at other PL clubs - how many of those had three injured CBs at same time this season?

You're right, my wording was clumsy in saying "six other" CBs, but nevertheless, you seem to be saying we should have gone into this season with six CBs. That only makes sense in hindsight.

I agree that our defensive record was not good and we should have done something to tighten up, but buying two more CBs wasn't the answer.

Yes, the bit in bold is hindsight and also correct in every sense. We can not hide from  the simple fact we started this campaign with one CB who they were trying to off load on loan (Hanley), one (probably at the time our best one) who quickly obtained a season long injury (Klose) and a teenager who was moved from CDM to CB, plus Zimmermann who was instrumental in the back 4 who let in an inordinary amount of goals last season. 

If that does not sound like an issue and loud warning on the eve of our return to the PL, I don't know what is!  

I'm not saying we should have gone into the season with 6 CBs, but we should have gone in with an upgrade of sorts to take us to 4, and the facts I feel back that assumption up.