Christoph Stiepermann

Glenn Murray/Dale Stephens

There's an article in the Athletic claiming that those two are among several Brighton players who are leaving in the Summer. I would take those two in a heartbeat. Stephens is an excellent, experienced defensive midfielder and would add some badly needed physicality to our midfield. I also think Murray would be excellent playing a similar role to the one Rhodes performed for us in the past, he offers a completely different option to what we already have, would give us an aerial threat and would definitely still be able to score goals in the Championship even at his age. Brighton are actively looking to offload these players so they wouldn't cost a fortune either.

Anyone else think we should take a punt on these two?

• Like 1

Stephens yep- strong in the tackle, makes lots of interceptions, not an awful passer of the ball and 6 foot plus.

Murray I'm not so sure but could be worth a punt if he's happy to be a battering ram from the bench type of player.

"How old is Murray?  Must be getting on for 50?" 

Is that the number of phylossan capsules he takes in a day or his weekly wage in thousands of pounds sterling?

Both would command a high wage and medical bills to boot perhaps?

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How old is Murray?  Must be getting on for 50 đŸ˜„

.........would be better off getting Grant Holt back in.  

Murray is 36 but has consistently scored goals in the Premier League.

I'd certainly take him over J*rdan R*odes

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Agree, he would be a handful for the Championship but we wouldn't get many years out of him and he doesn't fit the ethos of young.

Strangely I think we could have done with him this season not next.

I wonder how many said that Billy Sharp was past it?

But I agree Murray is probably not an answer.

We already too many who are always on the treatment table.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Might be able to defend high balls too.....

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

How about Chris Martin back on a free?

Would the Bungay nightlife be able to cope?

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How old is Murray?  Must be getting on for 50 đŸ˜„

.........would be better off getting Grant Holt back in.  

He's only 36.

You should know better than to write off someone from Maryport that easily, them Marras will keep going forever.

8 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Would the Bungay nightlife be able to cope?

As someone who went to School in Bungay I think Beccles was more his haunt. We had Joe Lewis in Bungay who was always very well behaved from my memory.

I worked in a bar in Southwold and we had Chris Martin's photo in the 'pubwatch' folder for awhile. 

Edited by king canary

Dale Stephens 30 league starts this season, would be a strange one to let go but would be decent for us. Murray would probably do a job, but at his age and what I suspect his wage demands will be im not sure he’d be worth it.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

As someone who went to School in Bungay I think Beccles was more his haunt. We had Joe Lewis in Bungay who was always very well behaved from my memory.

I worked in a bar in Southwold and we had Chris Martin's photo in the 'pubwatch' folder for awhile. 

Ah Beccles... knew he had been a bit of a boy when younger.. sure he is different these days

45 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agree, he would be a handful for the Championship but we wouldn't get many years out of him and he doesn't fit the ethos of young.

We need an experienced head who will fight for every cause, be a very good sub to have at the club.

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Mythical Ethos.

Signing Glenn Murray now would be akin to the time we signed Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh - desperate! Despite how some of you may feel, we’re not at that level, far from it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Both are on 30 grand a week, think they would take a pay cut to below 10 grand to play in a lower leauge? Nevermind Murray being around 50 years old and having no legs to speak of anymore

Below 10 grand? Where are you getting that from? It's been said that we only have one player earning more than £20k a season (Drmic), and just this afternoon Webber said we will have a competitive wage budget for next season.

Glenn Murray will probably end up taking a massive pay cut and find himself playing a final swangsong season or two in League One for Sunderland or Ipswich.