Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

Michael Bailey - 3 leaving

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich’s strategy is to have the replacements in the building before the player is sold. 

Hernandez was brought in to replace Murphy 6 months before we sold. Buendia signed 6 months before Maddison was sold.  I expect the same will be said about McCallum coming in 6 months before Lewis is sold. 

Norwich won’t let a sale of someone like Buendia slip to the last day of the window - if they are prepared to sell they will actively pursue it, like with Maddison and Murphy. 

I hope you are right, that all sounds well and good but I still can't see us turning down silly money for any player even if we don't have their replacement at the club already. Buendia and Cantwell both play out wide for us (generally), where are their successors? I think we've been a winger short all season as it is. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who we sign though, I'm desperate for centre midfielders.

What do you think of Luke Woolfenden?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich with have extra in by the end of the week - so there isn’t much delaying going on with bringing people in. That’s the 3 already signed plus the 4 to be done this week. 

The earliest start date for next season is 29th August - so still quite a while to get more in. 

Hardest to replace will be Godfrey. A quick centre-back who can pass and bring the ball out of defence? Good luck finding one of those for less than £20m. 

Leeds dug out Ben White on loan for much less

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I didn't say he was a Webber signing.

I said that this is a great example of where a player leaving at the last minute leaves you desperate and weak going into negotiations.

Doesn't matter how many players you've scouted, we got an offer we couldn't refuse for Brady on the last day of the window (or second from last) and then had to replace within 24-48 hours or have no left winger for half a season.

Same will apply to Webber if we get a £50m offer for Buendia on deadline day then you go into negotiations for any targets with a weak hand. Turning down an offer like that isn't really an option, neither is not immediately replacing that player. 

That's my fear, we will just see what happens.

I was just about to reply, but @Bethnal Yellow and Green has done it for me. It's not impossible for what you outline here to happen, but as I've said in various places recently, I trust and admire Webber's proactivity in the transfer market. I just can't see an expensive howler like Wildschut happening on Webber's watch; he was one of the most one-dimensional, brainless, unaware and technically deficient players I've ever seen play for Norwich. He is pretty much everything a Webber/Farke signing is not.

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I hope you are right, that all sounds well and good but I still can't see us turning down silly money for any player even if we don't have their replacement at the club already. Buendia and Cantwell both play out wide for us (generally), where are their successors? I think we've been a winger short all season as it is. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who we sign though, I'm desperate for centre midfielders.

It’s the worst kept secret that Webber was in Romania trying to sign a right winger. I’m pretty sure we’ll see players for those positions arrive in the not to distant future. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Same will apply to Webber if we get a £50m offer for Buendia on deadline day then you go into negotiations for any targets with a weak hand. Turning down an offer like that isn't really an option, neither is not immediately replacing that player. 

That's my fear, we will just see what happens.

Given the club’s stance on not needing to sell, if such a situation occurred I would seriously expect us to tell the approaching club to get stuffed. I know it’s a lot of money but if taking it means the squad is then deficient in an area it would be unforgivable.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I was just about to reply, but @Bethnal Yellow and Green has done it for me. It's not impossible for what you outline here to happen, but as I've said in various places recently, I trust and admire Webber's proactivity in the transfer market. I just can't see an expensive howler like Wildschut happening on Webber's watch; he was one of the most one-dimensional, brainless, unaware and technically deficient players I've ever seen play for Norwich. He is pretty much everything a Webber/Farke signing is not.

I wasn't suggesting any player we sign will be as bad as Wildschut (although to be fair, James Husband anybody?). 

But rather pointing out that Wigan held us over a barrel and pretty much mugged us, knowing that we were desperate for a left sided player at very short notice. 

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chey_Dunkley 

This lad has looked the part at Wigan and will be available for tuppence. Depends how well he has recovered from his leg break but could be shrewd business. I like Omar Beckles from Shrewsbury as well

We need signings for Norwich, not Ipswich. 

If we replace Buendia with a 28 year old, League One average player then I’ll get on board with the Delia Out brigade. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich with have extra in by the end of the week - so there isn’t much delaying going on with bringing people in. That’s the 3 already signed plus the 4 to be done this week. 

Just to clarify, the three already signed are Sinani, Soto and...? Presume McCallum doesn't count as he was signed in January?

And the four this week being Dennis, Mumba, Sorensen and...?

Or is there one you know about but can't say anything?

35 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd usually agree, but we've got something like 3 weeks to replace them. 

I fear panic signings. Or worse, no replacements brought in on time.

I expect lots of clubs will be panic buying, although could mean we get a better than expected price for a player or two. 

I'd have thought we have things lined up ready - no excuses not to - it's not like we haven't been aware of potential interest?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I wasn't suggesting any player we sign will be as bad as Wildschut (although to be fair, James Husband anybody?). 

But rather pointing out that Wigan held us over a barrel and pretty much mugged us, knowing that we were desperate for a left sided player at very short notice. 

Luckily Webber has never shown a hint of being that bad at managing a transfer window. The Brady deal had been rumbling on for months - Norwich had plenty of forewarning he was leaving but didn’t do anything about it until the last minute. 

Its not hard to make sure you don’t get into that kind of situation. 

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just to clarify, the three already signed are Sinani, Soto and...? Presume McCallum doesn't count as he was signed in January?

And the four this week being Dennis, Mumba, Sorensen and...?

Or is there one you know about but can't say anything?

The three are Sitti, Sinani and McCallum. All new players for next season. 

The 4 are as you mentioned plus Soto.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

We need signings for Norwich, not Ipswich. 

If we replace Buendia with a 28 year old, League One average player then I’ll get on board with the Delia Out brigade. 

I know it sounds daft but I've seen him a couple of times and really think he is playing at a level below his abilities including marking Simone Zaza out of the game vs West Ham a couple of years ago. He is a centre back/left back anyway so wouldn't be anything to do with Buendia. I'd like him as a squad player to add numbers to our defence who can't be relied on to stay fit. A central defender with a left foot would be great for us. He would cost a minimal amount and would come in as a 4th/5th choice centre back with the added bonus for cover at left back or if we need to go more defensive when holding the lead.

I would also like us to try 5 at the back and then use wing backs, be that Byram and Mccallum or Lewis and Aarons.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yeah sure, and I don't think that will happen... you can quote me on that 🙂

Husband was sh*te, but he was a free transfer and wasn't signed close to deadline day... if you wanted to highlight money wasted on crap signings, I'd probably go for Marcel Franke, Ben Marshall or Marley Watkins. Although Webber somehow managed to turn a profit on Watkins, so fair play there!

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Husband was sh*te, but he was a free transfer and wasn't signed close to deadline day... if you wanted to highlight money wasted on crap signings, I'd probably go for Marcel Franke, Ben Marshall or Marley Watkins. Although Webber somehow managed to turn a profit on Watkins, so fair play there!

How many of our major assets do you think the club will sell (reluctantly or players choice) Wolfie? My guess has always been a minimum of 4 by kick off next season. 

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Really reluctant to be pedantic here because of how sensible and grown up this entire thread has been, but I believe we paid £1m for James Husband. 

To be fair, he actually looked half passable as a footballer when filling in on the left side of midfield. Just looked a nervous wreck when asked to play left back! 

Ben Marshall was a strange one, a solid Championship player for years, gone from us to some non-league minnows and looks about 3 stone overweight. Personal problems I suspect? Possibly struggled with the move away from family in the North? That would be my bet.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Husband was a freebie? I thought he cost a million. 

3 out of 5...

If i can choose which ones we keep then its Buendia and Aarons.

Emi is streets above any of our other players in terms of talent but on the other hand I can see Todd has come on leaps and bounds and may have a bit more desire to grind out another championship season.

If we can keep Godfrey, I'd love to see us try 5 at the back and sign a couple more solid, no nonsense centre backs as I mention above. Godfrey could play as libero while we go to wing backs. Its a real shame we were prevented with going to a wing back system this season thanks to injuries.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Really reluctant to be pedantic here because of how sensible and grown up this entire thread has been, but I believe we paid £1m for James Husband. 

To be fair, he actually looked ok when filling in on the left side of midfield. Just looked a nervous wreck when asked to play left back! 

Ben Marshall was a strange one, a solid Championship player for years, gone from us to some non-league minnows and looks about 3 stone overweight. Personal problems I suspect? Possibly struggled with the move away from family in the North? That would be my bet.

You're quite right. Someone has picked me up on this before, too, now I think of it. For some reason I have it firmly lodged in my head that he was a free transfer. Hopefully I'm over this now 😄

But yeah, Husband and Marshall were both awful signings, but they weren't 'panic' signings. 

If true a blow, as these three are key, more so than Aarons and Lewis! Our supply line to goals and the one strong improving defender!

So next season might not be as easy as we all think.....we needed better defenders now we need three.

Aarons, Godfrey, and Buendia back to Spain if my information tallies up.

Frankly though, any joker could randomly slap together 3 of the possible together and get it right accidentally. In my personal opinion it would also be very strange if McCallum willingly signed if Lewis wasn't leaving. Unless we see it as Byram, Lewis starting and the new boy to cover both? 

6 minutes ago, Top corner said:

All these new names being mentioned is making me look forward to next season & what it brings. 

I don’t care who we sign as long as I can go and watch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The earliest start date for next season is 29th August - so still quite a while to get more in. 

Hardest to replace will be Godfrey. A quick centre-back who can pass and bring the ball out of defence? Good luck finding one of those for less than £20m. 

Godfrey can pass and bring the ball out of defence but it's the defending he struggles with. To be fair hes playing out of position in my view and should be a DM.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chey_Dunkley 

This lad has looked the part at Wigan and will be available for tuppence. Depends how well he has recovered from his leg break but could be shrewd business. I like Omar Beckles from Shrewsbury as well

Omar Shrewsbury from Beccles Town looks handy, too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I think if we can get £20m for each then we'll be in a great position.

Yes Emi will be a loss but he's cost us points this season and given the ball away through playing in the wrong places. 

He's too good for the Championship though so we need to get as much as we can from whoever wants to pay what we want.

Like Maddison Godfrey and Cantwell will sell for triple that in a couple of years 

3 minutes ago, daly said:

Like Maddison Godfrey and Cantwell will sell for triple that in a couple of years 

I don't think anyone on our books has anywhere close to the talent that Maddison has. He was a complete one-off in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, daly said:

Only if they leave us and play at Premiership clubs. If they stay with us and we don’t go up, they’ll be worth less in a year’s time. If we get a good offer and think we have decent replacements, it makes sense to let them move on, rather than be forced to stay.