Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

Michael Bailey - 3 leaving

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich with have extra in by the end of the week - so there isn’t much delaying going on with bringing people in. That’s the 3 already signed plus the 4 to be done this week. 

The earliest start date for next season is 29th August - so still quite a while to get more in. 

Hardest to replace will be Godfrey. A quick centre-back who can pass and bring the ball out of defence? Good luck finding one of those for less than £20m. 

I agree. That is why he is rated by Webber and Farke (and perhaps some other clubs?) despite his defensive deficiencies. The hope is you can improve the defensive side by coaching. But hard to do that in the heat of a Premier League season in which he had to be kept on being picked, because of injuries to others.

For me, we need another centre-back no matter what. Even if Godfrey doesn't leave. Someone streewise, and with a good fitness record. And I could live with them not being able to hit those 40-yard diagonal passes Godfrey can do...

• Like 1

Godfrey will go, he's too fast and comfortable on the ball not to be seen as a player who can be moulded to fit into a top six team.

Cantwell will likewise go, though a raw talent, he has proven to be able to score goals which is an invaluable asset. 

I would have said Aarons would go, now I am not so sure. Likewise Lewis. 

Until Buendia starts scoring goals I do not see anyone in England making a serious pitch for him,  if he stays here he should become a no 10. If both Buendia and Cantwell leave I might suggest putting McClean into the no 10 position, let him play like Maddison. 

Others I would like to see leave ... Drmic, Duda (only on loan anyway), Stiepermann, Klose, McGovern, Thompson, Morris. 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Godfrey will go, he's too fast and comfortable on the ball not to be seen as a player who can be moulded to fit into a top six team.

Cantwell will likewise go, though a raw talent, he has proven to be able to score goals which is an invaluable asset. 

I would have said Aarons would go, now I am not so sure. Likewise Lewis. 

Until Buendia starts scoring goals I do not see anyone in England making a serious pitch for him,  if he stays here he should become a no 10. If both Buendia and Cantwell leave I might suggest putting McClean into the no 10 position, let him play like Maddison. 

Others I would like to see leave ... Drmic, Duda (only on loan anyway), Stiepermann, Klose, McGovern, Thompson, Morris. 

Stiepermann? 

The tall, powerful, flexible, intelligent, player integral to our promotion? 

Which games do you watch? 

10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The three are Sitti, Sinani and McCallum. All new players for next season. 

The 4 are as you mentioned plus Soto.

But of those how many will push for the first team? The Dane and Sinani maybe plus Mccullun.

i have high hopes for Gilmour but not sure what I am basing them on!

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

Marley Watkins? A Webber signing and not great!

Whilst I agree we did make a nice profit on him

I'm not convinced we can afford to play Emi and Cantwell in the same team, it makes us too lightweight physically.

In all honesty, the team has not proven to be good enough this year so changes are neded regardless.

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

But of those how many will push for the first team? The Dane and Sinani maybe plus Mccullun.

I'm expecting Sitti to be involved- he's been listed in the first team squad since he signed and he's played at a decent level already.

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I’d imagine Sitti is closer than Sinani. 

If Soto can get a work permit he’ll be in the first team squad. 

Considering this season isn’t over, it isn’t a bad start towards the rebuild already. I expect the bulk of Norwich’s biggest business is yet to come, but no one can accuse the club of dragging its feet. 

If the young players brought in are good enough we at least know Farke will have no fear in using them unlike many managers. 

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Considering this season isn’t over, it isn’t a bad start towards the rebuild already. I expect the bulk of Norwich’s biggest business is yet to come, but no one can accuse the club of dragging its feet. 

If the young players brought in are good enough we at least know Farke will have no fear in using them unlike many managers. 

In a strange way getting relegated early has probably benefited us over the other teams yet to be relegated and those trying to get up.

We know where we will be playing next season so can start the process (and have done), the likes of Bournemouth, Villa, Watford will probably wait.

Yeah of course they will have a plan but their shopping lists will be different if they come down with us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

In a strange way getting relegated early has probably benefited us over the other teams yet to be relegated and those trying to get up.

We know where we will be playing next season so can start the process (and have done), the likes of Bournemouth, Villa, Watford will probably wait.

Yeah of course they will have a plan but their shopping lists will be different if they come down with us.

Their delay will be even longer as they will need to unload expensive players first.

13 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

See Bailey says he thinks three will go. Godfrey, Cantwell and Emi. Any thoughts? I would rather keep Cantwell and Emi if possible. Seems interest in Aaron's and Lewis ha

It's easy to say 3 will leave I guess. But if big offers come in for Godfrey, Aaron's, Lewis, Cantwell & Buendia then I dont doubt all 5 will leave. 

Everyone in that squad has a price.

3 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

It's easy to say 3 will leave I guess. But if big offers come in for Godfrey, Aaron's, Lewis, Cantwell & Buendia then I dont doubt all 5 will leave. 

Everyone in that squad has a price.

Agree but hopefully this time it's on our terms.

Webber has to get some credit for nailing the talent down to long contracts.

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agree but hopefully this time it's on our terms.

Webber has to get some credit for nailing the talent down to long contracts.

Yep, totally agree, at least when the offers come in for 10,15 million etc, we can say no. Definitely in a very good position contract wise.

Just now, Move Klose said:

Yep, totally agree, at least when the offers come in for 10,15 million etc, we can say no. Definitely in a very good position contract wise.

I'm sure there will be people come and tell us how the players will force a move etc etc but none of the players are now on mega bucks contracts and none will want to kill their careers by forcing the issue.

For all the perceived faults that Webber is believed to have by some on here, he certainly knows his way around the contractual side

In the end if someone pays what we value the player at then they will leave. Its that simple, we are not in the position where these players have to be sold.

Surely with all the potential revenue coming in a few signings are needed of players with pedigree who are ready for the first team straight away. We must hit the ground running from the off next season and not just wait or hope for it to happen. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

We don't know what release clauses are potentially in these contracts.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Nope, but they were inserted to protect the club and to ensure we got a valuation for the player that we believed they are/were worth.

I still wouldn't be at all surprised if we ended up with a cash & player deal or a cash and loan deal depending on which clubs come calling.

There must be a number of good players on the books of the big clubs who possibly won't make the grade but would suit a club like ours that wants those bargains.

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we got an offer we can't refuse for a player two days before deadline day then we might not have any choice but to panic, and although I'm sure we've got a comprehensive list for every position... that's how you end up paying well over the odds to land one of them, Wildschut the best example of us being a desperate club getting mugged. I'm sure we had been watching Wildschut for a while, but Wigan knew we were desperate going into negotiations! 

What's the ostrich rider got to do with this regime? They didn't sign him 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Is Soto close? Really like the look of him. Was excited when I heard we were looking at signing him

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

What's the ostrich rider got to do with this regime? They didn't sign him 

Whoops... My apologies. I've noticed this has been discussed 

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Is Soto close? Really like the look of him. Was excited when I heard we were looking at signing him

I’ve completely forgotten who he is, anyone got any info, ta 

34 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I'm sure there will be people come and tell us how the players will force a move etc etc but none of the players are now on mega bucks contracts and none will want to kill their careers by forcing the issue.

For all the perceived faults that Webber is believed to have by some on here, he certainly knows his way around the contractual side

I don't think they'd kill their careers by forcing the issue. Player (and agent) power is a massive thing; much as we'd be perfectly entitled to say to Emi "no, you have four years left on your contract here, you can either stay here and play well or you can throw your toys out of the pram and rot in the reserves", it doesn't make sense for club or player to do that.

We will be able to play hardball on fee, because everyone knows we have lots of assets and don't need to sell; however, the moment the player publicly states he wants to leave the club, the bargaining position weakens slightly and it's in everyone's interests to get a deal done.

As I see it, it's just a case of how much the player might be willing to back down and say "okay, if nobody meets the club's valuation of me I'm willing to stay until January and give 100% for Norwich".

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think they'd kill their careers by forcing the issue. Player (and agent) power is a massive thing; much as we'd be perfectly entitled to say to Emi "no, you have four years left on your contract here, you can either stay here and play well or you can throw your toys out of the pram and rot in the reserves", it doesn't make sense for club or player to do that.

We will be able to play hardball on fee, because everyone knows we have lots of assets and don't need to sell; however, the moment the player publicly states he wants to leave the club, the bargaining position weakens slightly and it's in everyone's interests to get a deal done.

As I see it, it's just a case of how much the player might be willing to back down and say "okay, if nobody meets the club's valuation of me I'm willing to stay until January and give 100% for Norwich".

Agree, my point was in relation to us getting silly offers and being forced by clubs or players to accept, we don't need to do that.

We all know that if a sensible offer is submitted that either meets the contractual or our valuation they will go, no issue with that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I can't see us having agreed to any release clauses under £20m for our youngsters.

The only one who might have something like that is Cantwell- heis new deal was signed when he was much more of a fringe player than he is now. 

15 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

It’s a done deal apparently.

Just work permit stuff causing issues. Seems very likely he won’t get one this summer so he’ll be on loan somewhere next season - probably in Holland or a 2. Bundesliga team. 

He should be eligible by the end of 20/21, as long as he avoids injury and the US men’s team call him up as planned before their games were cancelled. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve completely forgotten who he is, anyone got any info, ta 

Hey up Franko. 

He's a young American striker. Starred for USA in the U20 world cup and did rather well. He was joint second top goal scorer. Haaland was at the top of course (scored loads in a very short amount of time!)

• Like 1

How many of the new signings, and I think we are all assuming there will be more are likely to oust any of the present first team? Only DF knows that of course. And how many are you likely to throw into the start of a Championship game with only a handful of preseason games?

For two Championship seasons we had an out and out talent helping to run things in midfield. If Emi goes then will we be lucky enough to find someone equally as gifted?

Just maybe the defence, after a season of the EPL, might be able to handle Championship attacks but we must improve set piece play.

And we will need another striker ready to wait his chance.

As it'll be a short turn round, with changing personnel, some people may be disappointed if we don't get off to a flier, seeing as we are 'favourites' to come back up already. 

Slow and steady start may still win the race, like it did 2 years ago