Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

Michael Bailey - 3 leaving

See Bailey says he thinks three will go. Godfrey, Cantwell and Emi. Any thoughts? I would rather keep Cantwell and Emi if possible. Seems interest in Aaron's and Lewis has cooled....

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

See Bailey says he thinks three will go. Godfrey, Cantwell and Emi. Any thoughts? I would rather keep Cantwell and Emi if possible. Seems interest in Aaron's and Lewis has cooled....

Isn’t antiques roadshow on now? Hate for you to miss out on your quality tv. 

Would love to keep Emi, he’s a goal-making machine in the Champs. But can see why he’d want to be off, he’s looked frustrated and annoyed the entire last third of the season. Todd was always going to attract interest with his goals and performances. Godfrey....gotta be honest I don’t rate him as a defender but he’s tall, strong and English, as well as having a good agent that’s usually enough to get a decent move.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

All on the 'lightweight' size, so £50m plus and sign some big bruisers

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Would love to keep Emi, he’s a goal-making machine in the Champs. But can see why he’d want to be off, he’s looked frustrated and annoyed the enter last third of the season. Todd was always going to attract interest with his goals and performances. Godfrey....gotta be honest I don’t rate him as a defender but he’s tall, strong and English, as well as having a good agent that’s usually enough to get a decent move.

Cantwell has improved so much this season, I think he is just going to get better and better... Emi has had a tough season but think he will be decent in the championship as proven. Not fussed about Godfrey to be honest and his agent keeps routing him around... Keep Hanley, Zimmerman replace Godfrey and Klose, hopefully with Godfrey giving us some cash to restructure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Drmic, Rupp and Duda then. Job done

Duda is not ours and no one is buying Rupp or Drmic based on performance.. unfortunately

7 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I think if we can get £20m for each then we'll be in a great position.

Yes Emi will be a loss but he's cost us points this season and given the ball away through playing in the wrong places. 

He's too good for the Championship though so we need to get as much as we can from whoever wants to pay what we want.

I’d rather keep Todd and Emi too - great players. If we could choose who to sell I’d prefer to go for some of the defence as it is so weak and rather injury prone, just make sure we ask for a high price and look for a decent replacement

• Like 1

Lewis I’d sell in a heartbeat as I don’t rate him. Buendia would love to keep but think he’ll be the first off. Was links to athletico Madrid. With the amount of clubs linked to godfrey I’d assume he’ll be off as well. With the wage drop only one person is on over 20k a week next season. Any move will at least double their wages. 

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If we only lose three then we'd be in a really good position.

I'd usually agree, but we've got something like 3 weeks to replace them. 

I fear panic signings. Or worse, no replacements brought in on time.

I expect lots of clubs will be panic buying, although could mean we get a better than expected price for a player or two. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Lewis I’d sell in a heartbeat as I don’t rate him.

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to sign a good left back though, there's a natural shortage and we've seen some stinkers in recent years who make Lewis look like Roberto Carlos. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

The first thing that has cheered me up in days although Godfrey and Emi will be a miss

As much as I understand how people get irritated by Todd Cantwell, because he is very irritating, I expect him to play the bulk of his career at a higher level to Norwich City and for that reason I won't celebrate his departure. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I expect lots of clubs will be panic buying, although could mean we get a better than expected price for a player or two. 

To be fair to Webber, he doesn't really do panic buys. He's been very good at identifying and capturing his targets early. It could be argued that Hanley was a bit of a panic buy at the time, but I reckon he'll be vital for us next season.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to sign a good left back though, there's a natural shortage and we've seen some stinkers in recent years who make Lewis look like Roberto Carlos. 

Hopefully mccallum will be up to the job. With Lewis if you take away his athleticism I don’t see what else he offers. He’s a poor defender, incredibly weak and terrible in the air. Opponents also target him from set pieces. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair to Webber, he doesn't really do panic buys. He's been very good at identifying and capturing his targets early. It could be argued that Hanley was a bit of a panic buy at the time, but I reckon he'll be vital for us next season.

If we got an offer we can't refuse for a player two days before deadline day then we might not have any choice but to panic, and although I'm sure we've got a comprehensive list for every position... that's how you end up paying well over the odds to land one of them, Wildschut the best example of us being a desperate club getting mugged. I'm sure we had been watching Wildschut for a while, but Wigan knew we were desperate going into negotiations! 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Norwich with have extra in by the end of the week - so there isn’t much delaying going on with bringing people in. That’s the 3 already signed plus the 4 to be done this week. 

The earliest start date for next season is 29th August - so still quite a while to get more in. 

Hardest to replace will be Godfrey. A quick centre-back who can pass and bring the ball out of defence? Good luck finding one of those for less than £20m. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hopefully Sam turns out to be a decent left back but the right back at Coventry is even better. 

2 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Hopefully mccallum will be up to the job. With Lewis if you take away his athleticism I don’t see what else he offers. He’s a poor defender, incredibly weak and terrible in the air. Opponents also target him from set pieces. 

Mccallum does seem very highly rated by Coventry fans, have a feeling hes gonna be pretty dceent for us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mccallum does seem very highly rated by Coventry fans, have a feeling hes gonna be pretty dceent for us

Have a look at what they think about Fankaty Dabo. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we got an offer we can't refuse for a player two days before deadline day then we might not have any choice but to panic, and although I'm sure we've got a comprehensive list for every position... that's how you end up paying well over the odds to land one of them, Wildschut the best example of us being a desperate club getting mugged. I'm sure we had been watching Wildschut for a while, but Wigan knew we were desperate going into negotiations! 

Wildschut wasn't a Webber signing. He signed in January 2017, and Webber didn't join until March/April time.

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Hardest to replace will be Godfrey. A quick centre-back who can pass and bring the ball out of defence? Good luck finding one of those for less than £20m. 

Luke Woolfenden is the closest I can think of, whether he'd join Ipswich's rivals I don't know.

But they have got a gem there.

19 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You can add at least one full back to that trio. 

I don't know how much of the article is speculation, but there's some detailled financial information about the COVID cost and the wage bill that could only have come from the club.

"No prizes for guessing who Norwich’s prize assets are. Three are expected to leave Norwich this summer, if the jigsaw pieces fit."

The article makes it sound as if Emi, Todd and Ben are those three.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Wildschut wasn't a Webber signing. He signed in January 2017, and Webber didn't join until March/April time.

I didn't say he was a Webber signing.

I said that this is a great example of where a player leaving at the last minute leaves you desperate and weak going into negotiations.

Doesn't matter how many players you've scouted, we got an offer we couldn't refuse for Brady on the last day of the window (or second from last) and then had to replace within 24-48 hours or have no left winger for half a season.

Same will apply to Webber if we get a £50m offer for Buendia on deadline day then you go into negotiations for any targets with a weak hand. Turning down an offer like that isn't really an option, neither is not immediately replacing that player. 

That's my fear, we will just see what happens.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

How does Michael Bailey ..or anyone else for that matter know who will bid for any of our players between now and the transfer window (in October?).

If another club offers decent money for anyone other than on his list ,they'll be off

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I didn't say he was a Webber signing.

I said that this is a great example of where a player leaving at the last minute leaves you desperate and weak going into negotiations.

Doesn't matter how many players you've scouted, we got an offer we couldn't refuse for Brady on the last day of the window (or second from last) and then had to replace or have no left winger.

Same will apply to Webber if we get a £50m offer for Buendia on deadline day then you go into negotiations for any targets with a weak hand. Not replacing isn't an option.

That's my fear, we will just see what happens.

Norwich’s strategy is to have the replacements in the building before the player is sold. 

Hernandez was brought in to replace Murphy 6 months before we sold. Buendia signed 6 months before Maddison was sold.  I expect the same will be said about McCallum coming in 6 months before Lewis is sold. 

Norwich won’t let a sale of someone like Buendia slip to the last day of the window - if they are prepared to sell they will actively pursue it, like with Maddison and Murphy. 

• Like 4