Sign in to follow this  
king canary

The homegrown rule...

Back in the Championship and back to having to think about this when it comes to squad building.

I believe the rules remain that 7 of your 18 must count as 'home grown' meaning they played in England for 3 seasons between the age of 16 and 21. Important to remember this is specifically England (or teams in the English league at least) so players who were playing in Scotland or Northern Ireland in that time do not count.

Our current squad breaks down like this...

Homegrown (15)

Krul

Oxborough

Aarons

Byram

Godfrey

Hanley

Lewis

Famewo

McCallum

Raggett

Cantwell

Martin

Thompson

Idah (?)

Morris

International (17)

McGovern

Zimmerman

Klose

Heise

Rupp

Vrancic

Leitner

Hernandez

Buendia

Steipermann

Trybull

McLean

Tettey

Sinani

Sitti

Pukki

Drmic

Of the four new signings Michael Bailey mentioned, one counts as homegrown (Muamba) the other 3 count as international (Sorenson, Man, Soto).

What really stands out to me from this list is, if those new signings all go through, we'd have 20 international players on our books with only 11 spots available to them on gameday. While I'm sure this will slim down there are still going to be a fair few missing out due to the rules.

Also, we seem at much higher risk of losing players from the home grown list- I'm already expecting Morris, Thompson and Raggett to leave, Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell and Godfrey will all likely attract bids and there may be a desire to loan out someone like Martin or Famewo.

Something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

Interesting as Morris, Thompson & Raggett probably wont even be part of the squad. 

I'm not sure an oversees position should be taken by a 36 year old 2nd choice keeper tho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Interesting as Morris, Thompson & Raggett probably wont even be part of the squad. 

I'm not sure an oversees position should be taken by a 36 year old 2nd choice keeper tho.

Maybe Oxborough will become the number 2 this season- I have a feeling McGovern may transition into coaching.

Unfortunately Archie Mair isn't homegrown as he seems quite highly thought of.

I suppose it’s less of an issue in terms of bringing in English players because presumably you could just whack three young lads from the U18s or something on the bench to make up the quota - obviously then realistically limits the number of subs you will actually use but gets round the issue. (They wouldn’t need to be name din the 25 man squad either then presumably?)

But could well suggest a few of the internationals will be leaving over summer - 6 or 7 could easily be leaving from a quick glance through. 

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

Maybe Oxborough will become the number 2 this season- I have a feeling McGovern may transition into coaching.

McGovern driving the coach? Interesting, that would save some £, get me Webber on the phone..

3 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I suppose it’s less of an issue in terms of bringing in English players because presumably you could just whack three young lads from the U18s or something on the bench to make up the quota - obviously then realistically limits the number of subs you will actually use but gets round the issue. (They wouldn’t need to be name din the 25 man squad either then presumably?) 

But could well suggest a few of the internationals will be leaving over summer - 6 or 7 could easily be leaving from a quick glance through. 

With 5 subs continuing into next season having any players on the bench you wouldn’t actually consider using is massively disadvantaging to yourself. 

There also needs to be at least one ‘club grown’ player in the match day squad. That isn’t a huge issue for Norwich currently with Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell and Idah all qualifying but lose one or two of them and then it could be an issue should injuries/suspensions hit. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With 5 subs continuing into next season having any players on the bench you wouldn’t actually consider using is massively disadvantaging to yourself. 

There also needs to be at least one ‘club grown’ player in the match day squad. That isn’t a huge issue for Norwich currently with Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell and Idah all qualifying but lose one or two of them and then it could be an issue should injuries/suspensions hit. 

Is the 5 subs thing continuing for Championship too? I'd only seen Premier League.

I wonder if that changes the homegrown number at all? 

Is Man sounding like a done deal then? He's obviously going to be great because my Football Manager 19 save file proves it.

41 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Is Man sounding like a done deal then? He's obviously going to be great because my Football Manager 19 save file proves it.

Think it is a long way off still. 

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

Is the 5 subs thing continuing for Championship too? I'd only seen Premier League.

I wonder if that changes the homegrown number at all? 

I thought it was all leagues, but could be wrong. The homegrown player rule won’t be changed. 

If the homegrown rule remains the same but the subs are remaining as they are during the 'restart', that would be a big help to us, wouldn't it?

It would mean seven places out of 20 need to be homegrown, instead of seven from 18. This means we can select 13 non-homegrown players instead of 11.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Oxborough was given a fresh two-year contract a couple of months back, which I'd missed until recently. I too would be surprised if we didn't have a homegrown reserve goalkeeper.

Edited by Feedthewolf

Has it been extended into next season even for the prem? I hadn’t seen any update and understood it was still only applicable for any tournament due to finish this calendar year.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Oxborough was given a fresh two-year contract a couple of months back, which I'd missed until recently. I too would be surprised if we didn't have a homegrown reserve goalkeeper.

We could end up in a strange situation where McGovern could be second choice but never on the bench. Oxborough could sit on the bench but if Krul's unavailable then McGovern starts.

Saying that, I'd like us to have a 'safer' number two than either McGovern or Oxborough, personally. McGovern can be the number three and a part-time coach while Oxborough can go on loan.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If the homegrown rule remains the same but the subs are remaining as they are during the 'restart', that would be a big help to us, wouldn't it?

It would mean seven places out of 20 need to be homegrown, instead of seven from 18. This means we can select 13 non-homegrown players instead of 11.

That is what has been happening in Championship restart - there is a meeting this week to decide start dates and whether to roll this over. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That is what has been happening in Championship restart - there is a meeting this week to decide start dates and whether to roll this over. 

Has the Ifab extended  the rule change then?

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah I got confused- it is the IFAB who have decided to continue it and each league has the option.

I do think it'll benefit us in the Championship, while it hurt us in the Premier League.

Think there are some understandable concerns though that if it gets agreed for this season that it'll become permanent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I got confused- it is the IFAB who have decided to continue it and each league has the option.

I do think it'll benefit us in the Championship, while it hurt us in the Premier League.

Think there are some understandable concerns though that if it gets agreed for this season that it'll become permanent. 

I'm sure there were the same concerns when we moved to 7 subs instead of 5. 

I don't much care for it but drinks break and these blanket substitutions is close enough to American-style sports that I think they're already permanent changes, we just haven't been told yet.

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm sure there were the same concerns when we moved to 7 subs instead of 5. 

I don't much care for it but drinks break and these blanket substitutions is close enough to American-style sports that I think they're already permanent changes, we just haven't been told yet.

Less so as it didn't change the amount of players you can bring on. I think going from 3 to 5 really does hugely benefit the opposition. 

It was mad watching Man U bringing on Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood and Matic while we were bringing on Duda and Drmic.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Less so as it didn't change the amount of players you can bring on. I think going from 3 to 5 really does hugely benefit the opposition. 

It was mad watching Man U bringing on Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood and Matic while we were bringing on Duda and Drmic.

Yeah totally. It's no surprise the teams nearer the bottom with less depth of quality have distinctly struggled since the restart. But we can't say that, can we, we just didn't want to be relegated 🙊

I'd be expecting/hoping for us to pick homegrown 2-3 players at Championship or Premiership reserve level who could genuinely improve the squad now, especially down the spine.

Problem is when you've got the likes of Chelsea still hanging on to Lewis Baker at 25, it's so hard to prise young talent permanently out of the premiership clubs.

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

McGovern driving the coach? Interesting, that would save some £, get me Webber on the phone..

Don’t think he could reach the pedals

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

I blame Chris Wilder for putting our last coach driver out of a job!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, king canary said:

Back in the Championship and back to having to think about this when it comes to squad building.

I believe the rules remain that 7 of your 18 must count as 'home grown' meaning they played in England for 3 seasons between the age of 16 and 21. Important to remember this is specifically England (or teams in the English league at least) so players who were playing in Scotland or Northern Ireland in that time do not count.

Our current squad breaks down like this...

Homegrown (15)

Krul

Oxborough

Aarons

Byram

Godfrey

Hanley

Lewis

Famewo

McCallum

Raggett

Cantwell

Martin

Thompson

Idah (?)

Morris

I think you may be able to add Jordan Thomas to your 'homegrown' list KC. He's been training with the first team for a while now and he was on the bench for the League game at Arsenal a couple of weeks back. I'd expect him to be in and around the squad next season. 

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think you may be able to add Jordan Thomas to your 'homegrown' list KC. He's been training with the first team for a while now and he was on the bench for the League game at Arsenal a couple of weeks back. I'd expect him to be in and around the squad next season. 

Probably- I didn't include him as I only counted players listed on the current 'first team' page on the official site. 

So Sorenson signs making it currently 18 international players on the squad and this polish winger likely to make it 19, while it has been confirmed Morris is off for the season so one down on the home grown list.