Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Farke- 'I have no regrets"

12 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

True Wonder Coach like Lambert when he was here brought a team up and installed a team ethnic / system  to stay up

I think its clear by now that the stars just aligned for Lambert and we found ourselves with a great dynamic, partly due to him and his management techniques but also partly due to luck. A Glenn Roeder signing and a Bryan Gunn signing, total cost £1m for both, became our talismen and developed an instant telepathy (he did work wonders getting Chris Martin firing though, not saying this was all luck). Also had the benefit of coming into a club at rock bottom and therefore the full support of the fans, relieved to have finally had a competent manager to get behind (competent probably an adequate description, just felt like Mourinho because of what preceded).

Not playing down what Lambert achieved here, but he has shown quite clearly since leaving that he doesn't have some sort of special natural ability to build a great dressing room dynamic and isn't some sort of magic motivator man. He just got it right here, right man at the right time to suit our circumstances. 

Shame he subsequently believed in his own hype really, it was probably his ego growing larger which ruined his ability to command the respect of a dressing room like that again. 

I did like the way he bigged up his players and got them performing in the Premier League, took players to whole new levels, we had a team which wasn't afraid of anybody or at least we good at not showing it. That's down to him.

But he also had an underlying belief that he couldn't get away with that for another season, keeping us up with a team of mostly Championship level players, we finished the season pretty poor and he felt that he couldn't take us any further.

I still wonder whether he moved to Aston Villa because he actually believed he could improve them while reducing their wage bill or whether he actually joined Aston Villa because he felt that staying here would be more likely to have left a relegation on his CV. The answer is probably neither, it was probably the value of the contract, he does strike me as being a bit of a mercenary.

Grateful for three really enjoyable years and deserves the credit and the legacy, but he didn't find some sort of magic formula that he could replicate everywhere, he just found that he was the perfect fit for this club at that particular time. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Berge was signed in January, and he was the most expensive signing. So yeah, about £40m in the summer and another £20m in January (and they didn't recoup anything either, so that was a net spend).

Either way, that's a lot more than we could (or should) have spent. The Sheffield United vs Villa argument is cyclical, just like the "what about Wolves/Leicester" versus "but what about Sunderland/Ipswich" when we talk about investment.

Whatever we may think about the owners, considering how cash-poor we are and how much financial bother we were in after we came down last time, it would have been suicidal to spend that amount of money.

Well they spent that additional £20m when it became clear they were highly unlikely to be relegated, all but mathematically safe, so could easily be argued that they were spending £20m of the additional £100m+ that was about to be pegged onto their projected revenue due to survival. 

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think its clear by now that the stars just aligned for Lambert and we found ourselves with a great dynamic, partly due to him and his management techniques but also partly due to luck. A Glenn Roeder signing and a Bryan Gunn signing, total cost £1m for both, became our talismen and developed an instant telepathy (he did work wonders getting Chris Martin firing though, not saying this was all luck). Also had the benefit of coming into a club at rock bottom and therefore the full support of the fans, relieved to have finally had a competent manager to get behind (competent probably an adequate description, just felt like Mourinho because of what preceded).

Not playing down what Lambert achieved here, but he has shown quite clearly since leaving that he doesn't have some sort of special natural ability to build a great dressing room dynamic and isn't some sort of magic motivator man. He just got it right here, right man at the right time to suit our circumstances. 

Shame he subsequently believed in his own hype really, it was probably his ego growing larger which ruined his ability to command the respect of a dressing room like that again. 

I did like the way he bigged up his players and got them performing in the Premier League, took players to whole new levels, we had a team which wasn't afraid of anybody or at least we good at not showing it. That's down to him.

But he also had an underlying belief that he couldn't get away with that for another season, keeping us up with a team of mostly Championship level players, we finished the season pretty poor and he felt that he couldn't take us any further.

I still wonder whether he moved to Aston Villa because he actually believed he could improve them while reducing their wage bill or whether he actually joined Aston Villa because he felt that staying here would be more likely to have left a relegation on his CV. The answer is probably neither, it was probably the value of the contract, he does strike me as being a bit of a mercenary.

Grateful for three really enjoyable years and deserves the credit and the legacy, but he didn't find some sort of magic formula that he could replicate everywhere, he just found that he was the perfect fit for this club at that particular time. 

Your best post to date in my opinion

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Your best post to date in my opinion

I do feel like I'm becoming a bit more rational, don't know whats come over me.

On 12/07/2020 at 17:16, TIL 1010 said:

Imagine if we spent somewhere in the region of £30 million tops and are currently sitting in the top 6.

Six months on and City are top of their table and Sheff Utd are rock bottom of their table

err.....................Farke out

Funny how things can work out when people don't panic and stick to their principles. What some define as "stubborn", others call "consistency". Farke's adapted slightly where needed, but generally kept things on the field recognisable from before. Others would have tossed everything overboard and made everyone start from scratch again.

On 12/07/2020 at 14:10, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Remember also that probably 2/3 of that spenditure was just re-signing a load of the players they had on loan in the Championship anyway. So in effect Sheff Utd were the only ones who really added much to their squad this season, and it showed. 

Yup, so when you add in their wages, you can probably push that total to closer to £200million.

I wouldn't have any regrets after last season either. Webber has accepted the blame for the underwhelming signings made and admitted that they didn't have the impact that they had been intended to have.

From Farke's point of view though, there is a little more involved than just being poor signings. Roberts, for example, was brought in as it was felt the Premier League may have come a season too soon for Cantwell, but his hard work and effort as well as exploits on the pitch meant Roberts was largely redundant.

I said last season that we lacked experience more than anything else. Buendia was 22/23, Cantwell 21/22, Godfrey, Lewis and Aarons all 22 and under. That is five our of 11 regular starters. It's no real surprise that after the experience of a season in the Premier League, arguably all have improved their game.

All things said and done, even if the signings were generally poor, Farke did well with what was largely a very poor season for luck. Not being able to regularly pick one of three experienced CB's and looking much better when we could didn't help.

Generally in life, if you want to succeed, you make adjustments, come up with solutions and move forward. Regrets are good for people that live in the past and don't want to move forward. Do we dwell on the poor signings, the poor luck with CB injuries, of other players not making the step up? No, we can't change any of that now.

What we do know is that they tacked the issues in the summer. We have Gibson who is solid and good with the ball at his feet. We lacked attacking pace in the Premier League having been without Hernandez for most of the season as well. We now have Placheta who has that similar type of pace. We have moved to address the lack in midfield quality - though Skipp is only on loan. We also have added depth which we didn't have with the likes of Mumba, Dowell and again Placheta. Arguably with Hugill too.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, LaUnionCanary said:

I am sure Rupp is ours. Duda was on loan. But overall you are, to my mind, correct.

I meant Skipp, will edit post. 

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Funny how things can work out when people don't panic and stick to their principles. What some define as "stubborn", others call "consistency". Farke's adapted slightly where needed, but generally kept things on the field recognisable from before. Others would have tossed everything overboard and made everyone start from scratch again.

Also with the off field strategy as well.

I would suggest that promotion in 2019 was a little ahead of schedule, so we had the choice of steady long term progress, or some reckless sht or bust gamble.

Thankfully we stuck with the former, and we are in a relatively comfortable place financially. Youth players are being developed, along with various loanees.

The football has been very pleasing to watch, and promises more

Supporters may bemoan us not playing in the PL this season, but there hasn't been any loss in seeing PL teams at CR, or supporters being able to travel to PL away games either.

So all in all maybe a few of the usual suspects might care to trust the club a bit more, and not clog up the forum with constant whinging about how bad it all is - as it really isn't. Not at all.

• Like 2

One of the things that I find strangest is that I don't actually think we are having a good season in many ways. The football is ok, but not spectacularly good. That kind of suggests to me that (assuming things go as they have, which I believe they will do), we are simply a better side than anyone else in this league. I really think this is mainly in terms of squad depth, that extra ounce of quality that makes up for a bit of a lack of form and a better recruitment and youth strategy.

Even when we have gone up before, it's often felt like it's because we are playing fantastically well and on an incredible run of form (and had a very good side too). Often its also been a few key players playing out of their skins too. This year if we go up, I don't think it will be either of those things. To me that looks like a club that's beginning to outgrow the championship. 

Then again, this thread is basically a list of bad predictions, so I expect to be truly humbled by a Leeds-esque collapse in the next few weeks.