Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Farke- 'I have no regrets"

https://www.zimeye.net/2020/07/12/i-have-no-regrets-norwich-city-boss-speaks-on-relegation/

Rather odd attitude to take. On par for our lowest ever points total, and on par to be in the top ten worst relegated Prem sides of all time AND giving us the record of the most relegated side in Prem history too. Nevermind our awful transfer bussness and loans (Although I guess you could blame Webber..) yet he does not regret any of it?

Can't be the only one starting to think the attitude is getting a little strange. First off, I was never a big fan of the whole "Well this season is just a one off, it's a free hit yes we have one of the cheapest most unexperenced squads around and we expect to be relegated" attitude we started off this season with, and then of course we had the

"It's insert number of matches left here cup finals left to go, we need a huge miracle to survive, we are just little old Norwich we hardly have a chance but I think we can try"

attitude on show during the last months. How is that a positive attitude to both start and end the season on? It's not a "I fully belive in my team, every one of my players are fighters, we have a fantastic squad- we can survive and do this, I know we can stay up!" kind of fighting attitude is it? It's more of an "Well we don't really stand a chance do we? Yeah, we need to have of the biggest miricles this leauge has ever seen to stay up.."

And I can't be the only one thinking it's a pretty awful attitude to have throughout the season? No wonder half the players look like they don't care when every time Farke started speaking he woud go on about how tough it is, how hard it is oh woe is us it's gonna be almost impossible to survive, we are just little old Norwich smallest club in this leauge oh look at us poor us pity us, we never expected to be here in the first place anyway..

And the less said about Farke rolling up to the media the past few weeks being all "Well I recently had some big clubs call me and talk to me and we spoke but I decided to stay here" yeah, I'm sure going on about how you were prehaps thinking about and talking about joining other clubs will help the players mindsets- Why should they care if you might not be here soon?

So TLDR- Has our attitude and "little old norwich we never expected to be here" way been wrong the entire season?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I don't think it was wrong. Expectations did need to be managed for the slavering masses that won't understand why we aren't automatically spending champions league money to get into Europe, just because we were promoted.

I think perhaps you could say it was a little 'misjudged'; the book I'm currently working through is all about psychology of respect and needing to make people buy into you, the cardinal sin being offering too much comfort and safety too readily. I do wonder if leaving a bit more of that 'threat' in there might have kept us a bit more focused and determined this year. Marginal gains and whatnot.

At any rate, I think their intentions this season were totally in the right place, just a little misguided. However Webber is nothing if not fiercely ambitious (for himself) and will not want a lasting blot on his burgeoning copybook at the highest-profile point in his career this far. As I said on other threads, I'm calmly awaiting a direct and visceral response to the failings this year. 

• Like 1

Farke should Regret Not having a plan B 

Not setting u a team hard to Beat 

Not going Direct sometimes to get the ball in the other teams box and see what happens 

He has made a lot of mistakes 

i have a Feeling that he will walk and is deflecting a lot of the blame to well what did you expect i am still the wonder coach but i did not have a chance 

True Wonder Coach like Lambert when he was here brought a team up and installed a team ethnic / system  to stay up 

Farke did not do that and the season has been a disaster with all types of  unwanted records 

Just now, Highland Canary said:

Perhaps, he has achieved the best he can given the assets at his disposal. Why have regrets about that?

Maybe so, but wouldn't you have regrets about being so stubborn in your tactic and style? Stubborn about substitions? It hints of arrogance to not be. 

This isnt Football Manager where you can dominate World football with 1 plug and play tactic 

Just on the point of us being the most relegated team from the premier League, does that not also make us the most promoted team to the PL as well?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Just on the point of us being the most relegated team from the premier League, does that not also make us the most promoted team to the PL as well?

Unfortunately not. We are level with West Brom on 4, which of course will soon be 5 for them very soon.

The reason for this is that we participated in the inaugural season of the Premier League whilst WB did not.

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On par to be in the top ten worst relegated Prem sides of all time

I'm not sure why the OP wants to beat Farke with this claim as I can distinctly remember that before the lockdown there were claims that we were the best side ever to be relegated. 

Not that I took much notice of the claim as you don't win medals for being the best relegated side but it does show how very quickly sentiment can change in football. 

It also shows how difficult it is to implement a long term plan when fans start baying for the managers sacking after six lockdown games. 

The season is over but for me personally, I am already looking forward to how the squad will shape up for next year. Championship football is always exciting and we will be competitive

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Perhaps, he has achieved the best he can given the assets at his disposal. Why have regrets about that?

This^^^   If you give it your best shot there is no place for regrets.  Whether things he did, or decisions he made were right or wrong, he will have made them for the right reasons.  If he worked as hard as he possibly could - as I think he would - then again, no reasons for regrets.  You just accept it and move on.

• Like 2

I think Farke has a lot of dignity, and I feel for him.  He defends his players despite their embarrassing lack of mental and physical strength. 

For all the talk, other than Cantwell and Idah, none of the young players have developed this season.  They are making the same mistakes after 35 Premier League games as they were in August.

I don’t expect us to bounce back next season, but for me it is the first major test of Webber’s long term plan. We have expected this all season, and the early signings show plans were in place.  I would like to see some obvious first team recruits as we look to rebuild.  Someone with Grant Hanleys character, in midfield would be useful.

In my opinion, if Webber can buy well, and some of the young players come through, we could get ready for a promotion push in 2021/22 season. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Unfortunately not. We are level with West Brom on 4, which of course will soon be 5 for them very soon.

The reason for this is that we participated in the inaugural season of the Premier League whilst WB did not.

Also Sunderland, Palace, Boro and Leicester.

Sunderland Palace and WBA all four up four down. Palace were also inaugural members of the prem so have 4 relegations and 4 promotions - if they were going down this season with us they’d have 4 and 5 just like us. Leicester 4 promotions 3 relegations. Boro were also inaugural members of the prem but got promoted into the inaugural prem season so have 4 promotions and 4 relegations as well. 

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

I think perhaps you could say it was a little 'misjudged'; the book I'm currently working through is all about psychology of respect and needing to make people buy into you, the cardinal sin being offering too much comfort and safety too readily. I do wonder if leaving a bit more of that 'threat' in there might have kept us a bit more focused and determined this year. Marginal gains and whatnot.

Agree with much of this post. I don’t know what was said behind closed doors as opposed to in public (where managers are obviously doing as much a PR job as they are actually giving their opinions).

But I do think perhaps slightly the wrong slant was taken publicly and maybe in the dressing room. We could have fostered more of a “them against us”, “they’re all writing us off and saying you’re not good enough” fighting attitude. I’m not sure that’s what we’ve seen. Probably wouldn’t have made much difference to the results, but possibly some. Ultimately though I agree we needed to manage expectations and Make it abundantly clear what the plan was, that we probably would go down and we aren’t going to panic when that happens.

It sounds to me as though he was resigned to relegation from the start of the season which is hardly the sort of attitude that you would expect.

The lack of investment, injuries etc etc is just a very handy get out clause.

1 hour ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Maybe so, but wouldn't you have regrets about being so stubborn in your tactic and style? Stubborn about substitions? It hints of arrogance to not be. 

This isnt Football Manager where you can dominate World football with 1 plug and play tactic 

With the greatest of respect we did that and the fans cried that was boring and to quote many ‘ I would rather we be having a go every week and losing playing football ‘ and ‘ the young players must play ‘.

Unfortunately both have been our downfall. Those kids will be amazingly good in a couple of seasons time, but we had them whilst they were still developing. Unfortunately as is the case when they become top class players they will be with top clubs. However had we not have played those same kids there is a fair chance they now would be making their careers in league 1.

If we would have signed some experience no nonsense defenders such as Huth to Leicester and played the kids occasionally Farke would have been slated. Look at the outcry when Farke dared to keep Byram in when Lewis was fit even though we looked more solid when Byram was in, let alone the slating given to Hanley a player that one season was classed as unbelievably quick the next as slow simply because of who he was replacing.

Relegation would have been accepted by most had we have carried on as was before lockdown. Strangely had we been in the championship the rules after lockdown would have suited us as 5 subs for instance we would have had a strong squad whereas in the epl our squad was weak.

59 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

It sounds to me as though he was resigned to relegation from the start of the season which is hardly the sort of attitude that you would expect.

The lack of investment, injuries etc etc is just a very handy get out clause.

Didn’t you want him out the season before as you told us all ‘ he would take us into league 1 ‘ and ‘ Ip3w1ch will finish above us ‘.

Imagine if we had spent £144.5m and finished second from bottom.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Didn’t you want him out the season before as you told us all ‘ he would take us into league 1 ‘ and ‘ Ip3w1ch will finish above us ‘.

I mean to be fair Ipswich did finish higher than us in his first season in charge 😂

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

Imagine if we had spent £144.5m and finished second from bottom.

We could of spent 60 million and been like sheff utd  ,

plus Aston villa owner is 7.5 billion so i doubt 144.5 million is going to worry him to much 

if Villa had given 144 million to a decent manager i think they would have stayed up their signings are terrible wasted money they will not do that again 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean to be fair Ipswich did finish higher than us in his first season in charge 😂

Unfortunately as with many clubs people should be careful what they wish for. 

31 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

plus Aston villa owner is 7.5 billion so i doubt 144.5 million is going to worry him to much 

if Villa had given 144 million to a decent manager i think they would have stayed up their signings are terrible wasted money they will not do that again 

I don't think Norwich had £60m to spend.

41 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Remember also that probably 2/3 of that spenditure was just re-signing a load of the players they had on loan in the Championship anyway. So in effect Sheff Utd were the only ones who really added much to their squad this season, and it showed. 

How the Fecking **** can somebody who has managed the team that has produced the clubs worst ever premiership Campaign not have ant regrets. Is he saying that everything he did this season he’s happy with. Because if he is I have nothing but distain for the arrogant prjck. 

If we’d just missed out on the last day after giving a decent account of ourself I’d understand maybe. But how we’ve gone done. He should be looking for a storage unit to put all his regrets in.

What is clear is that the stowmarket 2, webber and Farke have all stuck their head in the sand about how much of a $h1t show this season has been

That is unforgivable and unacceptable but provided Delia has her nice meal and wine on a match day she ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. That is the sad fact about this season 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

What is clear is that the stowmarket 2, webber and Farke have all stuck their head in the sand about how much of a $h1t show this season has been

That is unforgivable and unacceptable but provided Delia has her nice meal and wine on a match day she ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. That is the sad fact about this season 

And yet when we went up everyone said give the squad a chance and praised the well run club. 

Perhaps you're just full of hate and you need a scapegoat. 

4 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

And yet when we went up everyone said give the squad a chance and praised the well run club. 

Perhaps you're just full of hate and you need a scapegoat. 

So you do you consider is responsible for our worst premier league season in history

i can’t wait to hear your perils of wisdom 👍👍