Michael Bailey states in his latest piece for The Athletic, that due to relegation clauses,

”only one player will be receiving more than £20,000 per week next season.”

The squad will be getting more than in the promotion season, and I’d imagine hefty promotion bonuses once again.

But overall those figures seem like something we could ride out in the championship. 

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

If that's correct, then we're in pretty good shape.

Unless of course some of those players think they could get double that with a transfer.

3 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

I bet thats Drmic. Supposedly highest paid player at the club £50k a week. 

It’s Byram, Drmic isn’t on £50k a week

I think the openness of the club in revealing players’ contract details to selected posters is questionable. All for one and one for all!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Unless of course some of those players think they could get double that with a transfer.

Yes that is going to be an issue, but one that would have, to a lesser extent, been there if we’d stayed up.

The length of the contracts and Webber’s career advice will give us a hand. But you can never keep an unhappy player for long.

Keep then a season, Hope their form isn’t effected and then back to prem happiness and salary!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Byram was one of the high earners as he came in effectively as an established PL player (if one who was semi-permanently injured), and cost a lot less than he’d have otherwise been.  Part of this lower Up-front price may well have been taking on his higher wages.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yeah, my point was more that we're not going to see the club financially implode like they nearly did after previous relegation. You're right to bring up the other side of that coin though.

15 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Drmic came on  free transfer so it wouldn't be unusual for the player to get either a signing on fee or the signing on fee factored into his wages.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Byram was one of the high earners as he came in effectively as an established PL player (if one who was semi-permanently injured), and cost a lot less than he’d have otherwise been.  Part of this lower Up-front price may well have been taking on his higher wages.

Buying semi crocks is always chancey. How much did Jarvis take out and for very little in return?

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Drmic being a swiss international striker who was free so can command a much higher wage as theres no fee to pay. Who had previously been playing for Leverkusen and monchengladbach. He will be the highest earner.

19 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The latest Naismith then?

The problem with Naismith is he didint have a 50% wage cut if relegated. What an awfull transfer negotiation that truly was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

£20.000? Pah peanuts!.....I only spent that last night wiv me an' me mates in the new lappy in the city called 'Peppermint Hippo'.....It's a bit like 'Spearmint Rhino'.....but the 'Hippo' girls are quite a bit bigger....

• Haha 1

Not many Players are going to Stay if a Bid is offered for their Services , i imagine the Youngsters would be getting north of 60 k if they moved Heads will be Turned 

2 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Imagine paying him 50 grand a week so he can stumbe around like bambi on ice, then go home and record some awful rap songs for his "music career"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Money, money, money.

What happened to moving on because of the privilege of playing for a bigger and better team?

modern Game and Money

I Would move to a lesser EPL team like watford / west ham if i was going to earn a extra 40k a week 

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Money, money, money.

What happened to moving on because of the privilege of playing for a bigger and better team?

I could be wrong, but back in the 70s and earlier, I don't think wages were dramatically different between the top two divisions, were they? I don't think relegated players could get significant pay rises by transferring to a club in the higher division.

But thanks to TV money, we're living in a world where small teams in the Premier League (Bournemouth, for example) can offer £100k wages when bigger clubs in the Championship couldn't even offer half that.

13 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

modern Game and Money

I Would move to a lesser EPL team like watford / west ham if i was going to earn a extra 40k a week 

Once wondered what Football would be like if footballers could only play for the club in the city/town they were born in.

Obviously an utterly silly, stupid and ridiculous idea... But it did get me wondering just how much more pride the players would have paying for their clubs.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Buying semi crocks is always chancey. How much did Jarvis take out and for very little in return?

Or it can work out fantastically successfully as it did with Tim Krul....................

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

The latest Naismith then?

Naismith cost £8.5 million - Drmic cost nothing - so no, not the latest Naismith!!

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Naismith cost £8.5 million - Drmic cost nothing - so no, not the latest Naismith!!

"drmic cost us nothing"

aside from us paying him a ridiculous 50 grand a week for the past year?

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yep in quick fag packet maths , wed have to pay Drmic 25k a week for 7 yearsish to make the same amount as Naismiths transfer fee. His wages (naismiths) come after/on top of that. What I would say is that hes had about the same Impact, so far. May leave on loan I suppose to a less physical league.

46 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Money, money, money.

That may be a little naive. In our younger days there was no freedom of movement and players were made to look loyal. The reality was that Bobby Moore used to hand in a transfer request to West Ham at the end of each season and West Ham always said no. That probably applied across the board. I think 9 out of 10 people in life generally will look after number 1 and follow the money. With football there is so much money at stake they would be mad not to. 

59 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Money, money, money.

It's no different to me being offered more money to do the job I'm doing now. Of course I would move on to do it. 

51 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"drmic cost us nothing"

aside from us paying him a ridiculous 50 grand a week for the past year?

Have you seen his pay slip? Or is this just based on Football Manager?