Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

A balanced view

7 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich shouldn’t ignore their core principle of being a technical side just to bring in big players. This is what happened with Amadou and why he never made an impact. 

The big challenge that finding physical players who are also technically proficient and affordable is incredibly hard

This is the massive question for me.

I agree with lots on this thread, but a huge paradox this season is we've often looked comfortable against some of the top sides like Man City or Spurs, but against lesser teams we've repeatedly seen mediocre encounters when they've been able to out-muscle us, especially in midfield, without ever looking that good, & often won by a single goal from a cross or a set piece (obviously I'm talking pre-lockdown here).  The writing was on the wall away at Burnley early on, when they didn't look anything special, but were able to overpower us &keep hitting us with crosses which meant we were always going to concede one or two, while at the other end we struggled to create anything much. Similarly against Sheff Utd just before lockdown, it was a very even game and certainly didn't look like a contest between the bottom side and a team challenging for Europe, but they ground out a result via a cross being headed in.  We pretty much never ground out a result this season.

Last season we played some wonderful football, but we all knew we were weak defensively & that had to be addressed to survive the Prem, but thanks to injuries our defence has been far worse than last season. 

We shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of getting promoted next season, but if we do, we need a plan to handle the physicality which is a staple of the game plan of Prem sides who are normally mid/lower end of the table.