Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The team needs a break.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It may not have been a day for perspective, but I see it is the same people that are always down about the club that are the least sympathetic to the situation the club has been in.  Mental health is ignored by some as being some fancy or even pathetic reason to give for poor performance.   Someone said on this thread the players "need to grow a pair and get stuck in".  What kind of attitude is that? 

The strain the young inexperienced squad will have been under all season was bad enough without the virus situation which has made it a lot harder.  Before the lockdown we still could find a bit of an edge and belief, but since the restart it has been just too big a hurdle with our limited resources and overall position in the league.

On the whole I can take the stick people give out to me - and I recognise yesterday wasn't a good day to try and be sympathetic - but really the players have put in a huge effort to do well this season and have run themselves into the ground with what they had to do after the break - as Ron says, the injuries and playing every few days with the balance tipped in favour of the bigger clubs with much bigger resources.

So the players do need a bit of a mental and physical break, lick their wounds and come out again next season all guns blazing. Good effort, they gave it everything, but in the end the situation was too much for them. No disgrace in that whatsoever, they gave it their best shot, but it was not enough.

" I fear I am wasting my time trying to give some perspective on a day like to day. Cheerio "

Back you come the next day still banging the same drum Lakey.

I think Lakey got it right. Even though I've been really frustrated watching matches lately and feeling that there is no passion and players have given up, it is easy to forget how stressful the season must have been for group that is such inexperienced on that level.

I firmly believe that no person looks at the mirror in morning and with smile on his face says "Today I'll go to match and do my worst performance!".  They are still a team that dominated championship year ago. A team that beat Man City earlier this season.

Confidence is a massive thing and break will be essential in gaining some back and remembering how good they can be . And how much better they still might become when learning from this hard hard season.

Lakey I admire your positivity but give it a break man, you're actually making things worse with your preaching.

The players had 3 months off FFS on full ****ing pay! They game back out of shape and unfit mentally. Thoroughly unprofessional and frankly they bottled it.

46 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It may not have been a day for perspective, but I see it is the same people that are always down about the club that are the least sympathetic to the situation the club has been in.  Mental health is ignored by some as being some fancy or even pathetic reason to give for poor performance.   Someone said on this thread the players "need to grow a pair and get stuck in".  What kind of attitude is that? 

The strain the young inexperienced squad will have been under all season was bad enough without the virus situation which has made it a lot harder.  Before the lockdown we still could find a bit of an edge and belief, but since the restart it has been just too big a hurdle with our limited resources and overall position in the league.

On the whole I can take the stick people give out to me - and I recognise yesterday wasn't a good day to try and be sympathetic - but really the players have put in a huge effort to do well this season and have run themselves into the ground with what they had to do after the break - as Ron says, the injuries and playing every few days with the balance tipped in favour of the bigger clubs with much bigger resources.

So the players do need a bit of a mental and physical break, lick their wounds and come out again next season all guns blazing. Good effort, they gave it everything, but in the end the situation was too much for them. No disgrace in that whatsoever, they gave it their best shot, but it was not enough.

I agree with almost every word of this. However, despite all the variables that are stacked against us, many of the performances since the restart have been unpalatable. Yes, it has been a long, hard season for these players, and by and large they've done their very best against almost insurmountable odds.

The performances post-lockdown have been so, so awful even compared to our own performances before lockdown, I can totally understand why a lot of fans are p*ssed off. I'm looking forward to next season, but to watch our players wave the white flag so limply has been really painful to watch.

They do need some time to lick their wounds, but then they need to work themselves double-hard in pre-season to ensure they're absolutely gagging for it by the time the Championship season starts. The division is a bearpit, and we've got to be tough as nails.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

" I fear I am wasting my time trying to give some perspective on a day like to day. Cheerio "

Yesterday was yesterday, today is today 🙂

Every player went through the same thing, our players still got paid 100%... Stress is youngsters on a pittance working in the NHS watching their colleagues die, not having 3 months off on £20k a month living in nice big houses.

I love this club as much as you and have been doing since 1972, I just have higher aspirations for it and this season has been an unmitigated disaster. Look at the stats. No real fan I know takes any pleasure from watching the club they support get embarrassed week in week out and getting a record for the most relegated!!!

The only positives to come out of this season imo, was the occasional performance against the bigger sides, Cantwells progression and Kruls continued improvement. 

I think continually defending the indefensible makes you less credible but what do I know.

As a fellow City fan I wish you well though...

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

53 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yesterday was yesterday, today is today 🙂

Tilly's got a point here.

Just 11 hours after your opening post you're back again. We're all hurting from this relegation and need time to calm down . We didn't need someone to tell us all this yesterday, we need to rant for a few days first.

Of course you're perfectly entitled to post as and when you want and in fairness the content is pretty sensible.

A shame you weren't sensible in deciding when to post it.

37 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Of course you're perfectly entitled to post as and when you want and in fairness the content is pretty sensible.

A shame you weren't sensible in deciding when to post it.

Talking of sensible, it’s also a shame posters think it’s acceptable to post absolute guff like we’re good enough to finish top 4, propagate the idea that we are much much better than we actually are and then also have the nerve to turn round and criticise posters who have always been much more pragmatic and realistic who are upset not because we’ve gone down per se but because of the way we’ve gone down and because we keep making the same mistakes.

How someone can genuinely think we’re good enough to be top 4 and not be critical of this season is beyond me. Unless he never believed it and just posted it for reactions in the first place....

19 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Talking of sensible, it’s also a shame posters think it’s acceptable to post absolute guff like we’re good enough to finish top 4, propagate the idea that we are much much better than we actually are and then also have the nerve to turn round and criticise posters who have always been much more pragmatic and realistic who are upset not because we’ve gone down per se but because of the way we’ve gone down and because we keep making the same mistakes.

How someone can genuinely think we’re good enough to be top 4 and not be critical of this season is beyond me. Unless he never believed it and just posted it for reactions in the first place....

Please tell me he didn't seriously say, at any point this season, we'd finish top 4??? 😂

4 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Please tell me he didn't seriously say, at any point this season, we'd finish top 4??? 😂

Apparently anything was possible and there was no reason we couldn’t break into the top 4 this season. All we had to do was believe in ourselves...

Edited by JF

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Apparently anything was possible and there was no reason we couldn’t break into the top 4 this season. All we had to do was believe in ourselves...

That's is priceless. Cheers mate, that's cheered me right up today. I get we were all a lot more positive last summer, but top 4??? 

1 minute ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

That's is priceless. Cheers mate, that's cheered me right up today. I get we were all a lot more positive last summer, but top 4??? 

Clearly our lack of champions league football next season rests on the shoulders of the fans. Collectively we didn’t believe top 4 was possible so it didn’t happen

7 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Yeah, that thread was something else.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah, that thread was something else.

Was just browsing for it but I can’t find it

6 minutes ago, JF said:

Was just browsing for it but I can’t find it

On 05/06/2019 at 15:27, lake district canary said:

Anything above 18th would be acceptable on a financial level, but I can't in all honesty predict us grovelling around at the bottom of the table.  Imo the PL is overated with two teams dominating, the rest are there to get pioints off - so pushing towards the top for me. Actually, for me anything below 10th would be a disappointment - I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Yes, it'll be way too optimistic for most people, but no sense in being timid about what is possible imo. The aim should be to win every game, whoever it is against and with a policy of belief in ourselves, we can do very well. Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Right, without wanting to judge someone I don't know, but nobody could have written that and genuinely believed it surely? It hints to me as someone deliberately fishing for reactions?

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interesting that LDC even says he’ll be disappointed if we finish below tenth. I’d forgotten that. Apparently though we aren’t allowed to be disappointed that we’ve just been relegated.

I genuinely can’t help but think it’s just top quality trolling. Toss up between LDC’s football trolling and Swindon’s Brexit thread trolling for prize of top troller.

Amazing that people are trying to find things I said.   If you read all those posts in full, rather than just take odd bits out of them, the inference is that we could do well, not that we will do well and if you understand English that is a big difference. 

Now why don't you try and find something more useful to do than go looking back at ancient history. 

Maybe it's the bbq fumes but part of me thinks the fact we have been so so **** this side of lockdown might actually benefit us. It gives the players a hell of a lot to prove, gives Farke a bit less of a comfy seat and we at least know our fate early on so can concentrate on building for next season.

I never liked the mentality of this being a "bonus season" but that's what was said all along so we have to at least give them a chance to prove there was method to their madness next season.

59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Amazing that people are trying to find things I said.   If you read all those posts in full, rather than just take odd bits out of them, the inference is that we could do well, not that we will do well and if you understand English that is a big difference. 

Well these sound bites sound like a "will" rather than a "could"

I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Now why don't you try and find something more useful to do than go looking back at ancient history. 

You literally said you'd be disappointed if we were in a relegation battle.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Anything above 18th would be acceptable on a financial level, but I can't in all honesty predict us grovelling around at the bottom of the table.  Imo the PL is overated with two teams dominating, the rest are there to get pioints off - so pushing towards the top for me. Actually, for me anything below 10th would be a disappointment - I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Yes, it'll be way too optimistic for most people, but no sense in being timid about what is possible imo. The aim should be to win every game, whoever it is against and with a policy of belief in ourselves, we can do very well. Third place in the PL this season was 72 points and that imo is achievable. 
image.gif.bf3862fa849343653cca1b351020e38d.gif