Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The team needs a break.

The team needs a break, the mental strain of this season has been way above what it should have been, given the virus situation. a young squad, beset with injuries trying to play out of this world football.   At our best, with less injuries, without the enforced break, we stood a chance of staying up playing the way we wanted to.

So Enough of all the anti-delia stuff, enough of the re-crimnations, enough of saying the players have given up (which is absolute rubbish), enough of Farke has lost the players (utterly ridiculous). Enough is enough.  They need a rest, a break to sort their heads out, they are mentally exhausted. They need to put it behind them, move on to next season in a positive frame of mind - return to the spirit and style that got us to the PL in the first place.  We've seen it in spells over the season, so it has not gone altogether, just need to have a break, regroup, dust themselves off and set off on the new challenge ahead.

So have a bit of compassion, we all hate being relegated, but the season has disintegrated into a manufactured farce. The restart behind closed doors with games every two or three days has just put too much strain on those with limited resources and the five sub rule just added insult to injury. Be angry if you must, but don't throw your toys out of the pram without thinking of the strain the players have been under, a young squad full of hope and desire as well as plenty of skill.  They did their best and ok, it wasn't enough, but that deserves some credit if nothing else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Have you considered taking a break yourself?

Have you ever considered taking a long walk along a short pier?

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

The team needs a break, the mental strain of this season has been way above what it should have been, given the virus situation. a young squad, beset with injuries trying to play out of this world football.   At our best, with less injuries, without the enforced break, we stood a chance of staying up playing the way we wanted to.

So Enough of all the anti-delia stuff, enough of the re-crimnations, enough of saying the players have given up (which is absolute rubbish), enough of Farke has lost the players (utterly ridiculous). Enough is enough.  They need a rest, a break to sort their heads out, they are mentally exhausted. They need to put it behind them, move on to next season in a positive frame of mind - return to the spirit and style that got us to the PL in the first place.  We've seen it in spells over the season, so it has not gone altogether, just need to have a break, regroup, dust themselves off and set off on the new challenge ahead.

So have a bit of compassion, we all hate being relegated, but the season has disintegrated into a manufactured farce. The restart behind closed doors with games every two or three days has just put too much strain on those with limited resources and the five sub rule just added insult to injury. Be angry if you must, but don't throw your toys out of the pram without thinking of the strain the players have been under, a young squad full of hope and desire as well as plenty of skill.  They did their best and ok, it wasn't enough, but that deserves some credit if nothing else.

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours to come up with “they’re a bit mentally exhausted, be kind”. A bit disappointing.

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

I think the break between early March and June was long enough? 

love your optimism Lakey but they are simply not good enough

• Thanks 1

Do we not have sports psychologist who mentally prepares our precious little players? Surely every team has the same to contend with. Or you saying our players just don’t have what it takes Lakey?

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Totally agree. The last few weeks have been particularly traumatic and pressurised for some very young players. 

We talk about looking after mental health, then we see professional horrors unfold on the pitch, and suddenly we forget about mental health and turn instead to recriminations. 

It is wrong to generalise and I have no doubt that we have a player or two who can't wait to move on, but for the rest I hope that this unpleasant season will make them stronger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I fear I am wasting my time trying to give some perspective on a day like to day. Cheerio.

Yep. People have every right to be p*ssed off today, it was the final nail in the coffin after a long, slow death. You must have expected that.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I fear I am wasting my time trying to give some perspective on a day like to day. Cheerio.

Spot on. Today is not a day for lectures.

You really do need to pick your moments a bit better sometimes.

I don’t think anyone needs to be lectured about perspective or how you believe our players are so fragile! As I said they’ve been coached and talented psychologists will have been used to get the mindset right.

No one knows but whatever they just weren’t good enough, the last few games have to be questioned in the way we’ve just not played, why is the question, is it end of season blues, a lack of belief instilled at the start of the season by having this project which we know about as do the players, could we have performed better had our owners applied more pressure on Webber, Farke and the players by not handing them a free season? Who knows.......not you Lakey, nor me or anyone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

a young squad

Our squad for the bulk of the season hasn't been particularly young, this seems to be a popular misconception.

Idah and Martin been given minutes since it has been apparent we are going down, but prior to that the average age of our Premier League squad is only slightly below average.

I'd give you "young back 4". 

I’d say the “Team” needs to grow a collective pair and get fecking stuck in. 

Constant excuses that all you ever troll out. We’re still going through the greats traumatic change of life since WW2. Most of us are doing it without the comfort of being on £20k a week plus.

Thousands of people have die and hundreds of thousands more have had their lives destroyed because of that. And you want to wrap a bunch of professional sportsman up in fecking cotton wool because they are “mentally exhausted”. 

you blame the break because of Covid and the injuries. Utter rubbish. Everyone else has the Covid situation to deal with and as for the injuries. It wouldn’t have made any difference they are not good enough to play the way the manager set them up to play. Not one of our CBs are premiership quality. There was only one chance. Make us hard to beat, get stuck in, fight for every ball and keep it tight.

But no our manager tried to play the way we did in the Championship. That make him a fool in my eyes. You have to adapt. He can’t.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. THERE ARE NONE. WITH THE CORRECT MANAGEMENT WE COULD HAVE DONE BETTER.

Edited by Hardhouse44

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Problem is youre not giving perspective. 

You're giving your opinion. 

Which unfortunately deluded nonsense. 

The squad had a 3 month break and has exactly the same pressure as every other squad. 

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

The squad had a 3 month break and has exactly the same pressure as every other squad. 

And the other two teams in the bottom three are performing at about the same pathetic level. So our situation isn’t unique.... who knows what would have happened without the break or with a crowd behind them. 

Roll on next season and we can start again. 

3 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I’d say the “Team” needs to grow a collective pair and get fecking stuck in. 

Constant excuses that all you ever troll out. We’re still going through the greats traumatic change of life since WW2. Most of us are doing it without the comfort of being on £20k a week plus.

Thousands of people have die and hundreds of thousands more have had their lives destroyed because of that. And you want to wrap a bunch of professional sportsman up in fecking cotton wool because they are “mentally exhausted”. 

you blame the break because of Covid and the injuries. Utter rubbish. Everyone else has the Covid situation to deal with and as for the injuries. It wouldn’t have made any difference they are not good enough to play the way the manager set them up to play. Not one of our CBs are premiership quality. There was only one chance. Make us hard to beat, get stuck in, fight for every ball and keep it tight.

But no our manager tried to play the way we did in the Championship. That make him a fool in my eyes. You have to adapt. He can’t.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. THERE ARE NONE. WITH THE CORRECT MANAGEMENT WE COULD HAVE DONE BETTER.

Agreed  you cant blame Covid as every other club faced that to. But injuries most certainly have  been a factor, though not the only one of course. Never have i known such a season for so many long term injuries..what the cause of it was who knows, i for sure dont. We did have more pressure on us after the 3 month break as we were the bottom side..add those  crazy hamstring  and other injuries and we were facing a near certainty relegation..fact is Villa and Bournemouth have'nt done much better than us, so all 3 teams deserve to go down.

I hear a few who say we lack ambition to get to the next level...but do those few  actually know what the next level is?...its to be on a par with the top six...the Manchesters, Arsenals, Chelsea's..are you talking mid table long term Premier side?..they dont exist...apart maybe from Everton..all other  clubs get and have been relegated...sometimes after a season...sometimes after 3 seasons...a few survive 5 or more..but thats about it..all eventually get relegated.

Last season was an incredible high...this season has been a miserable low..its football, its NCFC...you love it then you hate it but its never the same season after season dull trodden demise thats happening a few miles south of here...and its not the end of it all like thats happening  in Lancs to Bury, Wigan, Bolton nearly...a  new season will roll into view with its own story to tell, good or bad. OTBC.

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Take a break LDC. Your waffle is becoming very tiresome.

They had a 3 month break between March and June!....and compared to most other teams have come back in diabolical shape.

For me they should have a couple of weeks off after Man City and then straight back into pre season training.

Its 7 weeks between the last game of this season and the start of next

I personally think that the defeatist video that is played before every home game perfectly sums up all that is wrong with with our club.

It plays a long list of reasons/excuses about how we are a young team/will make mistakes/will lose games Etc before a ball is kicked. 

Not exactly ‘Another one bites the dust’ that was played before games as we marched to third in this league!

But Lakey won’t know about this and will feel sorry for the players that had to play as many games as every other team, with the same circumstances.

The bottom line is that we were found wanting from top to bottom. The lack of investment was a killer, and this was made a lot worse by a manager that could not adapt or motivate his players. When I read him say that we had a 5 per cent chance of staying up at the start of the season and Tettey stating that we had no leaders and defending from set players was rubbish, it does make you think that something is very wrong. 

oh well, as long as the players played well (they didn’t because we are bottom by some way) they should enjoy a lovely rest.

For the record, we should keep Farke and sack him at Christmas when we are struggling. If we replace him now (which we really should) then LDC etc will still be banging on about Farkeball Etc. Better let him stuff it up and then replace him!

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Utter drivel 

The way the OP talks sounds like we've been the only team who have been affected by the pandemic! It's time to stop looking for excuses, the plain fact is that simply we weren't good enough and more tellingly in the last few games for some reason did not apply themselves. To give an example, I was looking back at West Ham's 3rd goal, where Klose was ambling back as the ball rebounded off Krul. Had he at least put the effort in to get back it would've been forgivable, but to not even try is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, yellow_belly said:

Utter drivel 

But a nice chap, and means well. So sorry if this was seen as being rude Lakey, it wasn’t. I wish you a lovely day.

I think that the coronavirus has shown that there is a lot more to life than football... it is not really that important what league we are in. It is just a game.

In truth the championship is more fun because anyone can beat anyone and very few teams have nothing to play for at the end of the season... whether it is promotion, play offs or relegation.

(Unfortunately.... We just cannot compete in the big league with this model)

But Webber still failed with recruitment this season and Farke should have had a plan B and changed the zonal marking. So he failed as well!

Onwards and upwards (or probably sideways)

3 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

But a nice chap, and means well. So sorry if this was seen as being rude Lakey, it wasn’t. I wish you a lovely day.

I think that the coronavirus has shown that there is a lot more to life than football... it is not really that important what league we are in. It is just a game.

In truth the championship is more fun because anyone can beat anyone and very few teams have nothing to play for at the end of the season... whether it is promotion, play offs or relegation.

(Unfortunately.... We just cannot compete in the big league with this model)

But Webber still failed with recruitment this season and Farke should have had a plan B and changed the zonal marking. So he failed as well!

Onwards and upwards (or probably sideways)

Good post. I think we all need to take a few deep breaths at the moment.

Let's just try to think of it as half time. Our goal is to be in the Premier League, we had a crack at it and fell a long way short. Now in the second half we have to dust ourselves off and go again. If we manage to get back up, we will definitely spend more money and make a better fist of it next time round.

Once the moaning is out the system (and we're absolutely entitled to a moan!), let's see who comes in and goes out, and hit the Championship with everything we've got.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Perspective? 🤣🤣🤣

During the break we lost Zimbo, Hanley & Byram. I'm sure all the players were much encouraged by that.

Something that seems to be forgotten is that we now have to play every few days. I wonder who that affects more? A team with subs. worth 10s of millions or one with players who were just about OK at Champs. level? Let me see ...

• Like 1

Many of us wanted to enjoy this season with a ‘ whatever will be ‘ attitude. Then you told us we weren’t allowed to do this. When we were discussing how good Sterling was, you hijacked our thread, telling us we were being defeatist and should not appreciate any player from the opposition unless his name was Maddison. You told us we should believe we were finishing in the top 4 and we also keep the ball better than Man City. You told us we must not deviate from Farke ball as we could outplay premiership teams. Last year you told us we were not going up when we were beating everyone, this year you told us we weren’t going down when we were losing to everybody. What made it worse was you then chastised anyone with an opinion different to yours. Our success on the pitch coincided with Hanley being on it, a player you told us was slow. You then chastised anyone who dared to disagree that if Vrancic played all would change, that went well lol. I have moved now however I had a lot of contact in my job last year with some of the players. On 4 or 5 occasions last year in response to some of your threads I put players thoughts, quotes, but due to who they were put them as though they were me saying it. You chastised me for talking rubbish.

Like it or not unfortunately some of our players will be moving on. New ones will be coming in. You however seem to think things will carry on with exactly the same group of players and all will be well. Personally I think all will be well, but it will be the likes of Hanley, Byram and new signings that push the players forward. Again unfortunately confidence is so shot to pieces in this group that if we retained all these players we would struggle to get out of this rut. Had the lockdown not have happened we were showing signs of our confidence growing and I believe ( although we would probably have been relegated still ) this same group would have in the main stayed together and on our last home game the players would have been applauded from the pitch. I do not believe we would have collapsed in such spectacular style had lockdown not happened. 
So please, please, please stop writing constant threads just to get people arguing and so that you gain lots of attention. Our football Club was in an amazing place, now possibly caused by lockdown it is not in a good place. A lot needs to change wether that’s altering the squad or this group working hard to put it right. But one thing is for certain, we can’t sit around for the next 7 weeks having a rest with our feet up. 

It may not have been a day for perspective, but I see it is the same people that are always down about the club that are the least sympathetic to the situation the club has been in.  Mental health is ignored by some as being some fancy or even pathetic reason to give for poor performance.   Someone said on this thread the players "need to grow a pair and get stuck in".  What kind of attitude is that? 

The strain the young inexperienced squad will have been under all season was bad enough without the virus situation which has made it a lot harder.  Before the lockdown we still could find a bit of an edge and belief, but since the restart it has been just too big a hurdle with our limited resources and overall position in the league.

On the whole I can take the stick people give out to me - and I recognise yesterday wasn't a good day to try and be sympathetic - but really the players have put in a huge effort to do well this season and have run themselves into the ground with what they had to do after the break - as Ron says, the injuries and playing every few days with the balance tipped in favour of the bigger clubs with much bigger resources.

So the players do need a bit of a mental and physical break, lick their wounds and come out again next season all guns blazing. Good effort, they gave it everything, but in the end the situation was too much for them. No disgrace in that whatsoever, they gave it their best shot, but it was not enough.

Edited by lake district canary