Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Dean Ashton

But a "Norwich legend" apparently. No idea why the club and some fans seem to want to put him in this category:

Came to the club for big money, scored some goals that almost kept us up. We got relegated. He sulked, got a new contract to be the highest paid player at the club. Then did **** all and suddenly started playing well and scoring again near the January window so he could get his move to West Ham.

All in just a year.

Legend my ar$e.

• Like 4

The club took the money for him because their medical advice was the Ashton would not be playing professional football by the time he was 29 which turned out to be true.

Source...Neil Doncaster at an SCG meeting and there were about a dozen fans sitting round the table that evening to hear him say it including a couple of other posters on here.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The club took the money for him because their medical advice was the Ashton would not be playing professional football by the time he was 29 which turned out to be true.

Source...Neil Doncaster at an SCG meeting and there were about a dozen fans sitting round the table that evening to hear him say it including a couple of other posters on here.

That's fair enough, had no problem with us selling him for the money we got which was a pretty good deal, I just don't see why the guy is considered some sort of Norwich legend in these parts. He achieved nothing here and when you look at the grand scheme of things, contributed nothing and was barely here 5 minutes. It was clear he didn't want to be here.

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

That's fair enough, had no problem with us selling him for the money we got which was a pretty good deal, I just don't see why the guy is considered some sort of Norwich legend in these parts. He achieved nothing here and when you look at the grand scheme of things, contributed nothing and was barely here 5 minutes. It was clear he didn't want to be here.

I liked your previous post but to say he contributed nothing here isn’t true. He produced the goals that almost kept us up

Such a talent, was exceptional for us in his short time here and we made money on the transfer, not sure why we’re getting so upset, what’s he actually said that’s so wrong about us?

• Like 1

He's still in the Norwich area I believe. My dad sees him out golfing from time to time.

I'd rather Dean Ashton than who I've got, I've got bloody Matt Holland as one of my golf club members 🤮

Just now, Canary Jedi said:

He's still in the Norwich area I believe. My dad sees him out golfing from time to time.

I'd rather Dean Ashton than who I've got, I've got bloody Matt Holland as one of my golf club members 🤮

Yeah he lives around Norwich. Saw him and his family in the Odeon cinema last year and also saw him walking around Wembley with his kid on his shoulders who was wearing a Norwich top at the play off final 

Before lock down, I've seen him occasionally out and about in the City and in a few of our 'more respectable' drinking establishments....

30 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Before lock down, I've seen him occasionally out and about in the City and in a few of our 'more respectable' drinking establishments....

You must mean Spooooooooooooons ?

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

You must mean Spooooooooooooons ?

A bit more classier than Spoons.....but I do, did and will still, occasionally have a foo in spoons.....Cheap an' Cheerless.....

The word Legend and Celebrity has become synonymous with today’s world. 
Celebrity Chefs

Celebrity Plumbers 

Celebrity Knitters

You not his postman are you, heard through the grapevine he has dislike for posties and Jehovah witnesses 

Totally disagree, and he certainly is not horrible!

The guy is a top man and loves Norwich. He was sitting in the fan zone with a Norwich shirt on for the Arsenal game FFS!

I was listening to him on TalkSport today and everything he said made complete sense. We are toothless, we cannot defend and we made West Ham look amazing today. 

He actually said that we would walk the Championship next season (so long as we learn to defend) so I’m not sure what you heard but it wasn’t the same as I did! 

Leave Deano alone. 

• Like 2

Lives in Norwich, married to a bird from Norwich, I've heard from somebody who knows him quite well that's he a decent fella and has good things to say about the club and city. Chose to live here didn't he! 

Bit quiet and reserved, perhaps people mistake him wanting to live and quiet life and keep himself to himself for being arrogant or unpleasant? 

Didn't hear him on Talksport, but perhaps he was just giving his honest opinion? Nothing wrong with that, he's entitled to it.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lives in Norwich, married to a bird from Norwich, I've heard from somebody who knows him quite well that's he a decent fella and has good things to say about the club and city. Chose to live here didn't he! 

Bit quiet and reserved, perhaps people mistake him wanting to live and quiet life and keep himself to himself for being arrogant or unpleasant? 

Didn't hear him on Talksport, but perhaps he was just giving his honest opinion? Nothing wrong with that, he's entitled to it.

If it's what I heard he said nothing wrong.

Just said we were crap today. And well, we were.

Said we've  not been good defensively all season. That's also true.

He said we are in a good position to come straight back up so long as we sort a couple aspects. Again, hard to disagree.

https://talksport.com/football/730656/embarrassing-dean-ashton-reacts-norwich-relegated-premier-league-west-ham/

In a nutshell:

“Defending embarrassing, defending properly is the basis for success in the prem and our defending was embarrassing today. Been good performances at Carrow Road this season but too often the defending hasn’t been good enough. Young players will learn and get better for it. Lots of defensive work for Farke to do.”

So, basically sounds to me like yet again it’s some of our fans having a whinge when pundits say it how it is. “Anti-Norwich bias” (here meaning a pundit saying we weren’t very good just after we’ve been stuffed 4-0).

10 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

But a "Norwich legend" apparently. No idea why the club and some fans seem to want to put him in this category:

Came to the club for big money, scored some goals that almost kept us up. We got relegated. He sulked, got a new contract to be the highest paid player at the club. Then did **** all and suddenly started playing well and scoring again near the January window so he could get his move to West Ham.

All in just a year.

Legend my ar$e.

Do people think he’s a legend? He gets mentioned in a lot of “best norwich players you’ve seen” lists, but that’s because he was a bit good. If it was purely on “legendary” status, I don’t think anyone would have him anywhere near Holt, Iwan, even Pukki. But on pure ability, he was better than all three.

Don’t know him well, but we’ll enough to know he is a decent fella. His son plays local sport, always there to support and always takes time to have a chat and comes across as a nice bloke who loves living in the Norwich area. He is a pundit who is paid to give his views. From what I have heard he has said nothing we haven’t all seen.

Seems to me he says it like it is, and honestly. Knows the club and whats going more than the other usual suspects who only know the top teams. I don't think it would do any good for him to pretend that things are ok when the contrary evidence has been there on the pitch regularly.

12 minutes ago, Darren Knight said:

Don’t know him well, but we’ll enough to know he is a decent fella. His son plays local sport, always there to support and always takes time to have a chat and comes across as a nice bloke who loves living in the Norwich area. He is a pundit who is paid to give his views. From what I have heard he has said nothing we haven’t all seen.

Well, exactly. Really decent bloke who, incidentally, gave some lucid views on NCFC yesterday.

I see Matt Holland gets a mention as well. He's another thoroughly decent sort and he does like a game of golf (Stoke by Nayland generally). What worries me is that retired players might be judged, based on which clubs they were associated with. That is surely total lunacy. Who they played for is largely a matter of chance.

I like him. He was an exceptional footballer, he almost kept us up that season and there is no doubt in my mind that if we had him from the start of the season, we would have stayed up and if he hadn't had to retire through injury, he would have been a starter for England. Very, very good player.

When I see him as a pundit, he always comes across as a nice guy who says what he thinks but I don't think he's very insightful (not many are though) or say anything particularly interesting. I didn't listen to what he said, but if what has been said above is a true reflection, it's pretty bang on.

I listened to him on TalkSport yesterday as I was at work, and thought he summed us up spot on. He was very positive about the future, about how we'd gone about things financially this season. However, and after now seeing the goals, he was, also bang on to call our defending, pathetic, shambolic and embarrassing.