Sign in to follow this  
Rocket Ryan

Why?

I really don't understand why we are so poor at defending, yet it appears that so called bigger teams are coveting our young defenders? It must be in the coaching!!!

Just now, daisy said:

Zonal marking.

From set pieces but it's the closing down and Harring that we had last season that let us down badly 

One or two of them surrounded by a consistent, experienced defensive unit and they will shine. All of them playing, learning and suffering together with a back line that has been ravaged by injury and a lack of confidence and they suffer. A good defense is built on partnerships, between the two CBs and each CB with their fullback. We have had no opportunity to develop those partnerships this year, not even in training. Throw in insufficient cover from the midfield and our defenders are being horribly exposed all the time.... Still, having said that, I  would like to see us win some defensive headers occasionally and not be bullied so easily....

Jus tot add, the number of times I've heard pundits going on about man city (and other big teams) having a couple of defenders injuelred and how "no team could cope with that", yet not once have o heard that said about us, it's always naivety and lack of quality/effort that's cited for our frailties.

I remember an interview with George Graham (ex-Arsenal manager for the young-uns) looking back on his side that one the old 1st division saying that his defense were actually very intelligent players, because they played a zonal marking system and the players needed to be very intelligent to play it.

Not saying ours defenders are not intelligent, however for one of the goals today we say Klose and Godphrey going for the same header, only to see Antnio beat them both in the air to score.

So zonal marking can work - just ask George Graham. As to the op question of "Why?" - either zonal marking is no longer fit for purpose in the premier league, or as was suggested the players still don;t get it - either because they never will, or the coaching.

Certainly zonal marking does not seem to have clicked after the last 2 seasons.