The Great Mass Debater

Why do people hate Delia so much?

4 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I am terribly disappointed by relegation but recognise the Championship is a very exciting division

I want to see us get promoted and it will be an amazing season to get there

Success is never a given but it is better to start with a plan than attempt it with no plan

We are probably the most successful club in the country given our level of investment

We have a first-class academy that most other clubs can only dream about. It is integrated into the long term plan

I am convinced we will return to the Premiership because we have a plan and the infrastructure and the procedures in place to get us there. I do recognise it is always a work in progress and there are setbacks as well as successes. Thats why being a fan is an emotional rollercoaster.  

Ever thought of selling double glazing? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Stating the obvious day is it?

At least it's a change from the assumptions and observations that I and others have made concerning a degree of her motivation, be those assumptions and observations right or wrong.

Who would know?

The other day one such assumption was she used to support Ipswich because they say so on TWTD.

Edited by nutty nigel

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

The other day one such assumption was she used to support Ipswich because they say so on TWTD.

Sorry NN. Can you rephrase that?

It's a being thick day for me today and I didn't quite get that.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Sorry NN. Can you rephrase that?

It's a being thick day for me today and I didn't quite get that.

The exchange we had about your belief that Delia used to support Ipswich.

Oh! Just got it.

Yes when she appeared on Cup Final day wearing an ITFC rosette.

It wasn't just posters on TWTD who stated that she expressed an empathy for Town though was it? I seem to recall. Phil Ham was adamant as were others present at the time.

Who knows? Who cares? Neither were we there. 'Limelight' was assured nevertheless.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 minutes ago, komakino said:

A more accurate assessment would be the following:

* Most fans are terribly disappointed at relegation, some are happy as they prefer the Championship. 

* We have some of the best fans, but also some of the most unambitious fans in the world. 

* The project has been mixed. Success, Mixed Signings and ultimately huge failure. 

* Our financial position is weak due to the lack of investment and to attract investment by our majority shareholders. We are in severe trouble if we do not get promotion in three yers, due to our hopelessly inadequate owners. 

* Our academy is good, not great. 

* We may or may not come back stronger, but the evidence post COVID is no. 

Okay, let's break this down and find a happy medium.

* Most fans are terribly disappointed at relegation, some are happy as they prefer the Championship. 
This is true. I'm sure there are some fans who prefer the Championship. I think everyone's disappointed at the nature of relegation and how far short we fell.

* We have some of the best fans, but also some of the most unambitious fans in the world. 
There's no real way of measuring that, but I'd say that a lot of our fans are relatively content for us to be at the 'yo-yo' level we find ourselves. Similarly, I think the overwhelming majority would like to see us being competitive at the top level.

* The project has been mixed. Success, Mixed Signings and ultimately huge failure. 
Yes, I'd agree with the first bit. Some great signings, some decent ones, and a fair few flops. But it's not "ultimately" huge failure, because the project is not finished yet. Many fans, yourself included, doomed the Webber era to failure from the start. But we got to the PL, completely cleared all internal and external debt, and have five or six extremely valuable players who, if necessary, can financially guarantee us for a good while to come.

* Our financial position is weak due to the lack of investment and to attract investment by our majority shareholders. We are in severe trouble if we do not get promotion in three yers, due to our hopelessly inadequate owners. 
Here, you are predicting that we'll be in serious financial difficulty in three years' time. At the moment, we are debt-free, self-sufficient and have loads of playing assets we can sell if we need to. Let's judge the club on where it is now, rather that where you think it might be in three years if everything goes completely ****-up.

Semantics. It's doing well, and is producing talent for the first team. It's a positive.

* We may or may not come back stronger, but the evidence post COVID is no. 
Considering that every club, and especially those outside the PL, is having to completely restructure its finances due to Covid-19, I'd argue that we're in an even stronger relative position compared to our Championship rivals.

Summary: we have very different opinions on how the project might pan out. Neither of us know. Let's just wait and see where we are in a few months' time. Although I note that you were completely absent from the forum from October 2018 (when our surge to the title began in earnest), until very recently when we were playing badly and going down. If you want to have any credibility, hang around and discuss things through good times and bad rather than only posting when we're in a bad situation.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Semantics. It's doing well, and is producing talent for the first team. It's a positive.

Lets say for arguments sake we sell Aarons, Lewis and Cantwell this summer for a combined £60m odd in fees.

That would mean, factoring in the Murphy twins, over the last 4 summers the academy would have produced 5 players sold for a combined £80m+. That is pretty incredible.

(I don't count Godfrey as an academy player before anyone asks about him).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! Just got it.

Yes when she appeared on Cup Final day wearing an ITFC rosette.

It wasn't just posters on TWTD who stated that she expressed an empathy for Town though was it? I seem to recall. Phil Ham was adamant as were others present at the time.

Who knows? Who cares? Neither were we there. 'Limelight' was assured nevertheless.

Who is Phil Ham?

This sort of thing does make a difference. I remember 2008/9 when it seemed like half this message board changed their avatars to a mock up of Delia wearing an Ipswich scarf.

When feelings are high what better way can you think to promote a bit of football hatred?

Just now, king canary said:

Lets say for arguments sake we sell Aarons, Lewis and Cantwell this summer for a combined £60m odd in fees.

That would mean, factoring in the Murphy twins, over the last 4 summers the academy would have produced 5 players sold for a combined £80m+. That is pretty incredible.

(I don't count Godfrey as an academy player before anyone asks about him).

I think it's fair to count Godfrey. Lewis and Aarons came from Luton, just at a slightly younger age (15 as opposed to 17, I believe). Godfrey was playing as a midfielder in the National League, and we've developed him into a Premier League centre back; sure, he had raw talent, but we've nurtured it.

And before anyone chimes in, I know he's not the finished article and has a lot of creases to iron out in his game.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think it's fair to count Godfrey. Lewis and Aarons came from Luton, just at a slightly younger age (15 as opposed to 17, I believe). Godfrey was playing as a midfielder in the National League, and we've developed him into a Premier League centre back; sure, he had raw talent, but we've nurtured it.

And before anyone chimes in, I know he's not the finished article and has a lot of creases to iron out in his game.

Not for me Clive. He had a decent amount of games under his belt at League 2 level before he moved to us aged 18. He did some time in our academy but not enough for to count him as one we can count as an academy product.

PhilHam?

Tut, tut NN all true City supporters should by now have sufficient visits to TWTD (for their sins) to know who the great, 'one of the lads' PhilHam is:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/page/about-us

He's also a sports reporter of little re-known.

There was also an ex Binner's pro who waxed lyrical on the subject. Can't recall his name now. If it was Alan Brazil it can certainly be put down to fake news though.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

And still nobody will "go there". The elephant in the room. Why do some people have a completely irrational dislike for her? Because. She. Is. A. Woman. 

And that means that she clearly knows nothing about football. Or business. She's a cook - a glorified housewife and should stay in the kitchen. They'll deny it and invent another imaginary persona of her being power-crazed or a gangrenous leg or a cackling witch or a secret binner deliberately trying to undermine the club but it'll just be subterfuge. Definitely because she's a woman. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not for me Clive. He had a decent amount of games under his belt at League 2 level before he moved to us aged 18. He did some time in our academy but not enough for to count him as one we can count as an academy product.

Good use of "not for me, Clive".

I've made factual errors here. He did indeed play in League Two rather than the National League (Wiki suggests he played a dozen games for York in League Two). He was also 18 rather than 17 when he signed, although Wiki suggests he signed on his 18th birthday, so I wasn't wrong by much! 🙂

9 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

And still nobody will "go there". The elephant in the room. Why do some people have a completely irrational dislike for her? Because. She. Is. A. Woman. 

And that means that she clearly knows nothing about football. Or business. She's a cook - a glorified housewife and should stay in the kitchen. They'll deny it and invent another imaginary persona of her being power-crazed or a gangrenous leg or a cackling witch or a secret binner deliberately trying to undermine the club but it'll just be subterfuge. Definitely because she's a woman. 

That's that wider issue....

Let's just get this straight.

Nobody "hates" Delia and most have a lot of respect for her, her devotion to our club and the contributions she has, in the past, made towards it's continued well being.

That does not mean that we are not allowed a healthy disregard/examination for/of her motives as well as her intentions for the club at a particularly depressing time for it's immediate fortunes.

On balance, the club is in a healthy position; so Delia wins. But yet another 'one season wonder exhibition' is a bit humiliating to say the least and it must therefore credibly evoke questions as to whether some change might well be overdue. Nobody (minus one or two) demands drastic change either. Just something needs to give.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Our beloved club matriarch and her hubster's high hopes and continuing wishes/intentions, are maybe and as part of our Club's 'project,' to long continue as a close like minded and thinking family and friends controlled run thing....Maybe it's not dissimilar on how some close like-minded and thinking family and friends that regularly post on here, also have similar high hopes and continuing wishes/intentions for the Pink 'un forum to be controlled by them, in a more or less, same way.....? 😉   

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nobody "hates" Delia and most have a lot of respect for her, her devotion to our club and the contributions she has, in the past, made towards it's continued well being.

That does not mean that we are not allowed a healthy disregard/examination for/of her motives as well as her intentions for the club at a particularly depressing time for it's immediate fortunes.

On balance, the club is in a healthy position; so Delia wins. But yet another 'one season wonder exhibition' is a bit humiliating to say the least and it must therefore credibly evoke questions as to whether some change might well be overdue. Nobody (minus one or two) demands drastic change either. Just something needs to give.

Couldn't agree more. But repeating myths from our rivals message board is not that healthy activity you claim it to be.

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We have had over 20 years of Delia surely surely it’s time for a change

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Our beloved club matriarch and her hubster's high hopes and continuing wishes/intentions, are maybe and as part of our Club's 'project,' to long continue as a close like minded and thinking family and friends controlled run thing....Maybe it's not dissimilar on how some close like-minded and thinking family and friends that regularly post on here, also have similar high hopes and continuing wishes/intentions for the Pink 'un forum to be controlled by them, in a more or less, same way.....? 😉   

If it's just those few people what's to worry about?

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

We have had over 20 years of Delia surely surely it’s time for a change

That's an honest opinion and makes a refreshing change🙃

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Couldn't agree more. But repeating myths from our rivals message board is not that healthy activity you claim it to be.

Repeating?

You brought it up not me.

It is certainly a matter for reference considering the facts of the occasion none-the-less. The facts of the matter can be disputed.

Would you wear an ITFC rosette in full view of the television millions  ....  under any circumstances?

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

If it's just those few people what's to worry about?

Who's worrying? There's only ickle ole me. I'm just an insignificant one voice independent.....and I is only ever have been.....

Strange how you were the first to reply to my post though?.....Are you worried?.....

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Repeating?

You brought it up not me.

It is certainly a matter for reference considering the facts of the occasion none-the-less. The facts of the matter can be disputed.

Would you wear an ITFC rosette in full view of the television millions  ....  under any circumstances?

It's been repeated since 1978. The latest of which was you the other day. And it appears you still want to dispute it. And cite TWTD for reference. That kind of behaviour could perhaps promote "healthy debate" about your motives? But that would be unkind and also untrue as you've been a Norwich supporter for over 50 years like she has.

Edited by nutty nigel

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Who's worrying? There's only ickle ole me. I'm just an insignificant one voice independent.....and I is only ever have been.....

Strange how you were the first to reply to my post though?.....Are you worried?.....

Petrified.

Chase could not Afford and the club had debt so he ..........sold it 

Watling could not afford it .and the club had debt ..........sold it 

Delia could not afford it and we nearly went out of Business = i will turn it into self funding so i can stay in control ,And Not invest any More Money in it 

that is why i dislike the way Delia and Hubbie Run the Club 

i do not Hate them after all they have done but if you can not afford a business move over like others have done in past 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's been repeated since 1978. The latest of which was you the other day. And it appears you still want to dispute it. And cite TWTD for reference. That kind of behaviour could perhaps promote "healthy debate about your motives? But that would be unkind and also untrue as you've been a Norwich supporter for over 50 years like she has.

"Kind of behaviour?" It's a footies forum for goodness sake.

You know. Discussion and all that?

"Motives." None, I assure you.

Never have I been so lost in debate as I am now. What on earth are you on about?

2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Chase could not Afford and the club had debt so he ..........sold it 

Watling could not afford it .and the club had debt ..........sold it 

Delia could not afford it and we nearly went out of Business = i will turn it into self funding so i can stay in control ,And Not invest any More Money in it 

that is why i dislike the way Delia and Hubbie Run the Club 

i do not Hate them after all they have done but if you can not afford a business move over like others have done in past 

Chase didn't choose to sell. He was forced to sell.

Watling chose to sell.

Delia and MWJ choose not to sell unless it's to someone who they believe is in the best interests of the club. 

What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

"Delia and MWJ choose not to sell unless it's to someone who they believe is in the best interests of the club."

Nothing, if you ignore the fact that she now states that she will not sell at all, but instead pass the club on to family as an heirloom.

"Take it, or leave it."

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Kind of behaviour?" It's a footies forum for goodness sake.

You know. Discussion and all that?

"Motives." None, I assure you.

Never have I been so lost in debate as I am now. What on earth are you on about?

Referring to repeating TWTD nonsense in here and suggesting that's where the truth lies rather than what Delia says and undisputed facts.