The Great Mass Debater

Why do people hate Delia so much?

5 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

She can only be holding the club back if there was someone with deeper pockets wanting to buy. 

There is zero evidence anyone has approached the club in that situation. 

So the anti Delia thing is just idiotic, empty hate by people who think we should be man city

It's the people like you who accept mediocrity that are part of the problem. 

52 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not even going to entertain you as your arrogance is starting to shine through yet again. Back in the day when school qualifications were termed as 'O' Levels and 'A' levels i achieved both in English language and literature so leave it to you.

You clever clogs!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

She can only be holding the club back if there was someone with deeper pockets wanting to buy. 

So the anti Delia thing is just idiotic, empty hate by people who think we should be man city

This post is what is idiotic.  Those defending Delia who think we want a stinking rich Chinese owner or want us to be Man City or think that spending at the start of the season = getting us stuck with overpaid players are wrong. Stop going to the other extreme and then attacking that approach. 

You don't know any better that no-one has approached the club. 

25 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

There is zero evidence anyone has approached the club in that situation

Well we don’t know that as she and MWJ say they don’t listen to offers.

At the end of last season when we went up as Champions, I had that sinking feeling.  Relegation  was just so predictable you'd almost think it was planned.  Didn't expect it to be this bad though.  They're no longer even pretending to try and stay up.  Ker-chingg as the parachute money plops into the club's account, giving us a financial advantage over most other Championship clubs next season.  And so it goes on.  We moan about the money side of the PL.  People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

Parachute money is supposed to compensate clubs who have invested heavily in staying in the PL.  We didn't do that, so it's almost a freebie.  Self-funded club my ar$e.

Edited by benchwarmer

1 minute ago, benchwarmer said:

At the end of last season when we went up as Champions, I had that sinking feeling.  Relegation  was just so predictable you'd almost think it was planned.  Didn't expect it to be this bad though.  They're no longer even pretending to try and stay up.  Ker-chingg as the parachute money plops into the club's account, giving us a financial advantage over most other Championship clubs next season.  And so it goes on.  We moan about the money side of the PL.  People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

Would that be the same parachute PL money that they so publicly despise? Yet it’s that awful PL money that has dug them out of the financial **** time and time again...

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, Jerrykerry said:

She clearly stated she would not entertain any offers regardless of who they were or where they came from. She does not like all the nasty foreign money in the prem and has no intention of selling so why would anyone waste their time and effort asking? It's going to Tom and that's it but he will not be afforded the same goodwill Delia and MWJ have had. And don't be a prat we are not going to be Man city but ask Wolves or Leicester about their nasty foreign owners. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

In their interview with Gary Neville on Sky before the Watford home game they said they don’t even listen to offers. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/norwich-city/11857780/neville-chats-with-delia

I've just listened to the entire interview, and they don't say that. Neville asks them if they want to sell the club or 'continue forever', and Delia says 'continue forever'. Neither of them says anything like "we don't even listen to offers".

6 minutes ago, Firedawg said:

She clearly stated she would not entertain any offers regardless of who they were or where they came from. She does not like all the nasty foreign money in the prem and has no intention of selling so why would anyone waste their time and effort asking? It's going to Tom and that's it but he will not be afforded the same goodwill Delia and MWJ have had. And don't be a prat we are not going to be Man city but ask Wolves or Leicester about their nasty foreign owners. 

How many times do we have to do this? Everybody accepts Wolves and Leicester have done extremely well out of foreign ownership. But there are many, many clubs who have died on their a*se with foreign investment. It could go well, it could go badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, komakino said:

It's the people like you who accept mediocrity that are part of the problem. 

So what have you done to change things apart from post on a forum ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

How many times do we have to do this? Everybody accepts Wolves and Leicester have done extremely well out of foreign ownership. But there are many, many clubs who have died on their a*se with foreign investment. It could go well, it could go badly.

Well I'd at least like to try cause I remember years stuck in the champs. People seem to think at worst it'll be a yoyo club but that's not the case. The goodwill is slowly running out and they'll be very little left for Tom. Let's hope he is open to outside investment and doesn't want the club as his toy like his auntie. 

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

Parachute money is supposed to compensate clubs who have invested heavily in staying in the PL.  We didn't do that, so it's almost a freebie.  Self-funded club my ar$e.

Perhaps we should tell the PL that we'll refuse to take any parachute payments as we don't want to be party-poopers and have a financial advantage over the other Championship clubs.

Compensate those who spend heavily? Does the PL deliberately tell promoted clubs "Recklessly spend,spend,spend a fortune and we'll still look after you if/when you're relegated" ?  🙄

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Firedawg said:

Well I'd at least like to try cause I remember years stuck in the champs. People seem to think at worst it'll be a yoyo club but that's not the case. The goodwill is slowly running out and they'll be very little left for Tom. Let's hope he is open to outside investment and doesn't want the club as his toy like his auntie. 

Sure, I get that you'd like to try. I'd also like it if we had some new investment, if it was right for the club. But until such investment comes to light, I think it's sensible to try to be self-sufficient and not overstretch our finances.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Sure, I get that you'd like to try. I'd also like it if we had some new investment, if it was right for the club. But until such investment comes to light, I think it's sensible to try to be self-sufficient and not overstretch our finances.

I think the problem will arise if someone openly admits in wanting to invest and they appear genuine. Especially if they are a lot richer than Delia and Michael. I think then it could turn a bit nasty quite quickly especially if we are languishing in the champs for a few seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Firedawg said:

I think the problem will arise if someone openly admits in wanting to invest and they appear genuine. Especially if they are a lot richer than Delia and Michael. I think then it could turn a bit nasty quite quickly especially if we are languishing in the champs for a few seasons. 

Yeah, if a rich investor made it clear they were interested and we turned them down, I think a lot of people might think differently about the situation. But at the moment, some people think there are loads of investors out there, some people think no investors are out there. Some people think Delia wouldn't sell no matter what, other people think she'd consider it if she thought it was best for the club. We're dealing with hunches and intangibles, which is why there are so many different opinions out there.

An actual concrete offer of investment would mean people actually had something tangible to have an opinion on, rather than just saying "look at Wolves and Leicester" or "yeah but look at Sunderland and Ipswich" or whatever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/norwich-city/11857780/neville-chats-with-delia

I've just listened to the entire interview, and they don't say that. Neville asks them if they want to sell the club or 'continue forever', and Delia says 'continue forever'. Neither of them says anything like "we don't even listen to offers".

Don't tell me Crafty made that up😯

The last interview I heard they didn't say "continue forever" Wynnie said when he's 100 and Delia said something about a wheelchair. So that can be taken from the interview. Or what followed...

Their first consideration is the best interests of the football club

Money for them is not a consideration.

They love our football club too much to ever stand in the way if the right person came along to buy our club and make it better.

So now they leave it to Stuart Webber, Zoe and Ben to sort out and to advise them if there's something really good. But if it isn't really good they're not interested.

The succession is whatever is best for the football club. It's not something they've decided upon but it's on their radar.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Don't tell me Crafty made that up😯

The last interview I heard they didn't say "continue forever" Wynnie said when he's 100 and Delia said something about a wheelchair. So that can be taken from the interview. Or what followed...

Their first consideration is the best interests of the football club

Money for them is not a consideration.

They love our football club too much to ever stand in the way if the right person came along to buy our club and make it better.

So now they leave it to Stuart Webber, Zoe and Ben to sort out and to advise them if there's something really good. But if it isn't really good they're not interested.

The succession is whatever is best for the football club. It's not something they've decided upon but it's on their radar.

To be fair, the succession is whatever they believe is best for the football club. But having invested 24 years of their life into running it, they're in a much better position than anyone on this board to make that call.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair, the succession is whatever they believe is best for the football club. But having invested 24 years of their life into running it, they're in a much better position than anyone on this board to make that call.

Yep. Sorry if it wasn't clear. That's what they said.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yep. Sorry if it wasn't clear. That's what they said.

I've run out of reactions, so instead of just clicking the button and giving you a little blue heart, I've now got to write a post about it.

Total waste of time.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I've run out of reactions, so instead of just clicking the button and giving you a little blue heart, I've now got to write a post about it.

Total waste of time.

LOL

I keep using all mine up on Smiffy😉

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Wrong Stephen Fry once bought a yellow and green scarf thus contributing to the club's coffers, mentioned us once on QI and frequently brought a couple of packets of custard creams to board meetings.

To be fair to Fry he did at least pay £9,000 for his Club shares. A princely sum perhaps but approximately £9,000 more than Balls and 2 existing board members. Whatever the rights and wrongs of this argument the Club can have up to 8 board members and the status of our club is surely such that there ought to be 8 such members who are prepared to at least invest modest amounts of their own money.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Hi essex

By your logic the descendants of the present board have a seat for life....

😉

I am not clear how 2 of the current board members qualify for the seats they have already got. Perhaps they pay like the rest of the punters who paid the same for there shares as they have? Then again perhaps not?

The only way to elicit the change that you desire is to actively do something to force it. Get organised, gather support and seek out the owner you want. If they won’t do it, do it for them.

You’ll need someone to front the movement, preferably somebody credible and the higher profile the better. You’ll need to present your case for change and it will need to be a coherent message, not some garbled nonsense based on assumptions and hearsay; you’re going to need to get the pro-current-regimers on board too. 

If there is someone out there, these protests should alert them to the unrest and passion for change. Over to you. 

Oh, and whoever said that they aren’t suggesting that the club is sold to the first shyster that comes knocking - that is EXACTLY what you are advocating and it’s disingenuous to suggest otherwise; as long as there were some big numbers bandied around regarding their bank balance, you’d take them. 

11 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I am not clear how 2 of the current board members qualify for the seats they have already got. Perhaps they pay like the rest of the punters who paid the same for there shares as they have? Then again perhaps not?

I don't know why the descendants of Watling and South still don't have those seats...

12 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

The only way to elicit the change that you desire is to actively do something to force it. Get organised, gather support and seek out the owner you want. If they won’t do it, do it for them.

You’ll need someone to front the movement, preferably somebody credible and the higher profile the better. You’ll need to present your case for change and it will need to be a coherent message, not some garbled nonsense based on assumptions and hearsay; you’re going to need to get the pro-current-regimers on board too. 

If there is someone out there, these protests should alert them to the unrest and passion for change. Over to you. 

Oh, and whoever said that they aren’t suggesting that the club is sold to the first shyster that comes knocking - that is EXACTLY what you are advocating and it’s disingenuous to suggest otherwise; as long as there were some big numbers bandied around regarding their bank balance, you’d take them. 

Nobody can be arsed to do that, it's so much easier just to come on here and have a gripe. It's funny how so many people accuse the current owners of not caring about the club, or not having the club's best interests at heart.

You'd think that if the club was that important to the people who are calling out the owners, they'd be champing at the bit to try to effect change? But strangely, when push comes to shove nobody seems to have the gumption to do anything about it...

• Like 2

As the OP I think I need to state my opinion on this.

Im neither pro-Delia (or owners) or anti-Delia. We could have richer owners, we could have worse owners.

Yes with more money we could be operating on a different level, we could have a bigger stadium, we could invest money into the squad and truly compete at Premier League level. But I dont blame Delia for not having the money. If I had a couple of million I would love to own the club. How many fans wouldnt? How many fans would genuinely say 'I'm not a billionaire, so I shouldnt'?

For anyone who used to watch Dream Team on Sky, exactly this happened, the club was bequeathed to a fan via lottery, or he was a lottery winner, cant remember, but it wasnt long before the other fans turned on him.

Its very easy to criticise when its not your money. Delia has put huge sums of her own money into the club, all of which was a risk. It may not have been huge amounts by football standards, but have any of the fans on this board put a similar amount of their money into the club, proportionally?

The way I see it, Delia and co are what they are, and they are doing their best with the limited resources they have. I dont see why they should be a target of abuse because they are not mega rich.

If there was clear evidence of the owners holding the club back then I might question her devotion to the club. But as far as I am aware the only really high profile individual interested in recent memory was Tony Fernandes. If there was a whole host of billionaires lining up to take over the club and she was knocking them back daily, then I might change my position, but in reality, I think the idea that huge investment is lining up to take over, and Delia is blocking them is pure fantasy in the minds of some fans.

What we do have in Delia is an owner with a love of the club and the local area, and that is a lot more than some clubs have. Many fans criticise their owners for being disinterested, remote, restrictive, or with alterior motives.

If the club changed hands, I wouldnt be bothered, as I say Im not a Delia happy-clapper, but I dont understand the vitriol directed at her by some. Many a club has imploded following new investment. Be careful what you wish for

18 hours ago, Firedawg said:

Agree with that. I think most fans would be supportive of the right billionaire. I mentioned Tony Fernandes. Id have been supportive of that, even though we know how that turned out with QPR

20 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

As the OP I think I need to state my opinion on this.

Im neither pro-Delia (or owners) or anti-Delia. We could have richer owners, we could have worse owners.

Yes with more money we could be operating on a different level, we could have a bigger stadium, we could invest money into the squad and truly compete at Premier League level. But I dont blame Delia for not having the money. If I had a couple of million I would love to own the club. How many fans wouldnt? How many fans would genuinely say 'I'm not a billionaire, so I shouldnt'?

For anyone who used to watch Dream Team on Sky, exactly this happened, the club was bequeathed to a fan via lottery, or he was a lottery winner, cant remember, but it wasnt long before the other fans turned on him.

Its very easy to criticise when its not your money. Delia has put huge sums of her own money into the club, all of which was a risk. It may not have been huge amounts by football standards, but have any of the fans on this board put a similar amount of their money into the club, proportionally?

The way I see it, Delia and co are what they are, and they are doing their best with the limited resources they have. I dont see why they should be a target of abuse because they are not mega rich.

If there was clear evidence of the owners holding the club back then I might question her devotion to the club. But as far as I am aware the only really high profile individual interested in recent memory was Tony Fernandes. If there was a whole host of billionaires lining up to take over the club and she was knocking them back daily, then I might change my position, but in reality, I think the idea that huge investment is lining up to take over, and Delia is blocking them is pure fantasy in the minds of some fans.

What we do have in Delia is an owner with a love of the club and the local area, and that is a lot more than some clubs have. Many fans criticise their owners for being disinterested, remote, restrictive, or with alterior motives.

If the club changed hands, I wouldnt be bothered, as I say Im not a Delia happy-clapper, but I dont understand the vitriol directed at her by some. Many a club has imploded following new investment. Be careful what you wish for