The Great Mass Debater

Why do people hate Delia so much?

Will add my name to the list of those who don't hate her.

I also agree with Nutty that people should be careful about not singling her out- I always try and refer to the owners or Delia & MWJ.

They took over at a time when a fortune of £20m could make a difference in football. Over the next 25 odd years that has changed. Not their fault and I don't begrudge them anything in that regard. I'd also have zero problem with them making a healthy profit from selling.

I do begrudge the succession plan. As someone else mentioned they clearly have a personal distaste for how football has changed and want to run their club differently and that is their choice. However basically saying that they have decided this should continue past the time they choose to step aside is where they lose me. They insist they aren't owners but 'custodians' yet they seemingly have decided that the best way forward for Norwich is for it to remain within the Smith family- nobody else can be trusted.

• Like 6

They've had plenty of times to leave on a low too. Subsequently most people are thankful they didn't.

If people had their way and they'd left in 2009 would the last 11 years be viewed as having done the right thing?

The owners have been totally upfront about the club’s future. They won’t sell, are not interested in even hearing about offers of investment, hate the effect money has had on the game at the top level and plan to pass on the club as a family heirloom to their nephew.

Moan all you like, they don’t care to listen to you and will carry on regardless.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Do you know what the word revelling means and the context it was being used in?

Off you go yet again.

I don't hate Delia personally, but professionally speaking, she is a complete waste of time for the football club. She neither invests or attracts investors, therefore is a pointless individual in that regard. 

Things will never change while she is here, but the problem is also that too many Norwich fans share her complete acceptance of mediocrity and the comfortable position of the second tier. 

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

They've had plenty of times to leave on a low too. Subsequently most people are thankful they didn't.

If people had their way and they'd left in 2009 would the last 11 years be viewed as having done the right thing?

The point is that it's the next eleven years that people are showing concerns about.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

The point is that it's the next eleven years that people are showing concerns about.

I know. Just like in 2009.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I know. Just like in 2009.

And nothing in the game has changed since 2009 then?

6 minutes ago, JF said:

I wonder how many Chelsea fans were able to put forwards Roman Abramovich’s name before he purchased them? He was an unknown, barely anyone in the game would have ever heard of him. It’s easy to throw some names around though if that’s what you want. Red Bull have been looking to get into the English game for several years and Jim Radcliffe has purchased Nice in preparation for gaining knowledge to buy and run a club in England 

Have any of those shown an interest though? Not necessarily an offer, just interest?

This idea that successful billionaires only show interest in clubs with a massive FOR SALE sign outside doesnt sit well with me. By nature most billionaires are ruthless and fight for what they want. If there was even a sniff that any were interested and, should nasty delia turn them away, it would only take a call to the local press wouldn't it? I dont think that's too much for a billionaire to get one of his associates to do for him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Take that as a no.

Not even going to entertain you as your arrogance is starting to shine through yet again. Back in the day when school qualifications were termed as 'O' Levels and 'A' levels i achieved both in English language and literature so leave it to you.

Edited by TIL 1010

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Have any of those shown an interest though? Not necessarily an offer, just interest?

This idea that successful billionaires only show interest in clubs with a massive FOR SALE sign outside doesnt sit well with me. By nature most billionaires are ruthless and fight for what they want. If there was even a sniff that any were interested and, should nasty delia turn them away, it would only take a call to the local press wouldn't it? I dont think that's too much for a billionaire to get one of his associates to do for him.

Has anyone ever thought about approaching these parties that are well known within the game to be actively looking for a club to purchase? Do you not think that would be a good idea? Jim Radcliffe is on record as saying he wants to own a club in this country, he’s a Man U fan but has stated he has no interest in buying them. Why are the owners not actively going after these type of people to promote the club and it’s potential to try and sell the idea to them? Just sitting on their **** and releasing press statements saying they have no interest in selling certainly won’t help will it...

Edited by JF

Sadly, the predominant ambition of our supporters seems entirely aligned with the relative financial wealth of our owners. If, and until, that changes those that were embarrassed by the performance today and, more generally, with this year’s campaign, will remain the (ambitious) minority.

Edited by Highland Canary
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JF said:

I wonder how many Chelsea fans were able to put forwards Roman Abramovich’s name before he purchased them? He was an unknown, barely anyone in the game would have ever heard of him. It’s easy to throw some names around though if that’s what you want. Red Bull have been looking to get into the English game for several years and Jim Radcliffe has purchased Nice in preparation for gaining knowledge to buy and run a club in England 

There’s a murmurs that Oxford are the club Red Bull are eyeing as it’s not far from their uk base and 40 miles from london. Oxford is also a globally known City thanks to its universities with students from all over the globe.

Just now, Indy said:

There’s a murmurs that Oxford are the club Red Bull are eyeing as it’s not far from their uk base and 40 miles from london. Oxford is also a globally known City thanks to its universities with students from all over the globe.

That may well be the case but why not aggressively go after these people that are known to be looking and try to promote the club to them? If you don’t ask, you don’t get

How interesting that some of you seem to regard the last 10 years as the pinnacle of success.  Really?  It could have been worse, but could and should have been a whole lot better.  Using the PL as a cash cow doesn't make me proud.  It reeks of lack of ambition.  Gives a whole new meaning to "financial fair play".

Edited by benchwarmer

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

And nothing in the game has changed since 2009 then?

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I asked if we'd changed owners in 2009. Then the following 11 years had been the same. Would that change have been viewed as a success?

4 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

How interesting that some of you seem to regard the last 10 years as the pinnacle of success.  Really?  It could have been worse, but could and should have been a whole lot better.  Using the PL as a cash cow doesn't make me proud.  It reeks of lack of ambition.  

If you took that from my post then it's not what I said. But then some of you is so vague..

22 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not sure about this.

In their interview with Gary Neville on Sky before the Watford home game they said they don’t even listen to offers. 

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

In their interview with Gary Neville on Sky before the Watford home game they said they don’t even listen to offers. 

They said that in a newspaper interview as well

Presuming you mean offers of takeovers and not just investment? Of course I know significant investment doesn't tendt to come without say on aboard.

Sure they both are nice people as the usual suspects can vouch for as they queue to be on the front row at the AGM hours before the meeting starts, bit like New Years Day Next sale. Wonder why they have to pass shareholding to Tom though who cannot possibly compete in today’s football world also why they brought on board Ed Balls and Stephen Fry who brought absolutely nothing to the club. 

54 minutes ago, hogesar said:

People that hate Delia and hurl insults in her direction are misguided, uneducated idiots.

Those that actually have constructive arguments about her ownership are fine but they're never able to provide the alternative. They're never able to accept that there isnt a successful billionaire just gagging to give us money.

Wronggggggggggg

4 minutes ago, daly said:

Sure they both are nice people as the usual suspects can vouch for as they queue to be on the front row at the AGM hours before the meeting starts, bit like New Years Day Next sale. Wonder why they have to pass shareholding to Tom though who cannot possibly compete in today’s football world also why they brought on board Ed Balls and Stephen Fry who brought absolutely nothing to the club. 

To fill up seats on the plane to away matches? 

Football has outgrown Delia so much, but she stills hangs in there somehow thinking she is safeguarding the club, when the actual damage she is doing is incalculable. 

13 minutes ago, daly said:

Wrong Stephen Fry once bought a yellow and green scarf thus contributing to the club's coffers, mentioned us once on QI and frequently brought a couple of packets of custard creams to board meetings.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The question isn’t what has delia done for this club? We can all agree she did plenty. 
the question is “what does she do now? Why is she still here?” 

football has moved on but our board hasn’t. We are trying to run a local model in a global era and simply can’t compete. Each time we go up the gulf is more obvious- this time has been embarrassing. 

taxi for delia- the 90s ended some time ago. We now need fresh air to take us into the future. And that comes with zero malice as I think she is a good soul 

3 hours ago, Firedawg said:

It's because she is now holding the club back. Everyone appreciates what she did but it's no different to a lot of owners putting millions on their own money in. I dislike the fact she will not consider outside investment bearing in mind she was one of the poorest in the champs and is miles behind in the prem. And the fact she is passing the club to nephew Tom who has no experience and no money. 

She can only be holding the club back if there was someone with deeper pockets wanting to buy. 

There is zero evidence anyone has approached the club in that situation. 

So the anti Delia thing is just idiotic, empty hate by people who think we should be man city

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerrykerry said:

She can only be holding the club back if there was someone with deeper pockets wanting to buy. 

There is zero evidence anyone has approached the club in that situation. 

So the anti Delia thing is just idiotic, empty hate by people who think we should be man city

Is that you Tom?