The Great Mass Debater

Why do people hate Delia so much?

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's far too strong, and obviously so.

How many other clubs do you need me to list in order to demonstrate that so many are in a lot worse position than us, despite the current malaise?

OK, ignore that.  How about addressing my main point?  Hint: pointing out that other clubs are worse off doesn't really cut it.

Edited by benchwarmer

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So now Delia doesn't care. But it's not hatred...

An assumption that no one has agreed to  but some are stating their  frustration with her. Who has said they hate her on this message board? 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

An assumption that no one has agreed to  but some are stating their  frustration with her. Who has said they hate her on this message board? 

Don't riddle me all afternoon.

If it wasn't hatred to Delia then Wynnie would get the same criticisms.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Most people outside Norwich fans think Delia is the sole owner and she is by far the public face of the ownership. When people say “Delia” they mean “Delia and MWJ”. Don’t try and make this about skeptics being solely anti-Delia as an individual.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You said people hate her I said they don’t so there’s your answer. 

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Most people outside Norwich fans think Delia is the sole owner and she is by far the public face of the ownership. When people say “Delia” they mean “Delia and MWJ”. Don’t try and make this about skeptics being solely anti-Delia as an individual.

Maybe the phrase should be joint majority owners?

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But we are Norwich fans.

Hate is the wrong word but it is clear after 20 years plus of ownership she is witheringly incompetent at running a football club and she needs to say good bye to the club and quickly 

Just now, Indy said:

Maybe the phrase should be joint majority owners?

Maybe we should stop splitting hairs and just say “the owners”. It’s simple, people who are pro-Delia will say that the other side “hate” her. And apart from a very strange minority, we don’t. We might think she’s stubborn, unrealistic, possessive etc, but I certainly don’t hate her. I do wish she’d face reality and put the club up for sale though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You said people hate her I said they don’t so there’s your answer. 

I believe they do. And will carry on posting my opinion. You are welcome to carry on posting yours.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Maybe we should stop splitting hairs and just say “the owners”. It’s simple, people who are pro-Delia will say that the other side “hate” her. And apart from a very strange minority, we don’t. We might think she’s stubborn, unrealistic, possessive etc, but I certainly don’t hate her. I do wish she’d face reality and put the club up for sale though.

"The owners" didn't even make it to the end of your post🙃

25 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

OK, ignore that.  How about addressing my main point?  Hint: pointing out that other clubs are worse off doesn't really cut it.

Ok then I will.

Without knowing what really goes on in her mind I would suggest that her current enthusiasm for regularly attending games and revelling in the good times fully bedekked in scarves and rosettes for both occasions suggests that her lack of encharntment with the game is  confined jut to the domination of big money that exists in it these days.

Most would share this view, but it always seems to be a more vocal complaint uttered by most without that money.. The note wavers of Portman Road are a prime example of this. Now skint they loathe  everything about the game, from Sky tv to parachute money. 

There may even be a hint of 'the politics of envy' involved here.

It is what it is.That's the way it has evolved. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen, as they say. We know our Del's likes kitchens rather overmuch though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I believe they do. And will carry on posting my opinion. You are welcome to carry on posting yours.

Thank you and I’m glad we cleared it up.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

"The owners" didn't even make it to the end of your post🙃

Fair enough, both MWJ and Delia need to wake up and smell the coffee. They do not have the money to compete in football at this level any longer. By digging in their heels and refusing to entertain investment and handing the club over to Tom they are holding us back from our potential, it’s arrogant, destructive and selfish. I am thankful for all they’ve done in the past, even though Watling actually saved us, and all the loans they’ve made have been paid back, and the club goes cap in hand to the fans to fund projects which should be paid for by the owners as an investment. 
Delia gets the flak because she’s the one who gets and wants all the publicity when things are going well, even most Norwich fans couldn’t pick MWJ out of the line up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Fair enough, both MWJ and Delia need to wake up and smell the coffee. They do not have the money to compete in football at this level any longer. By digging in their heels and refusing to entertain investment and handing the club over to Tom they are holding us back from our potential, it’s arrogant, destructive and selfish. I am thankful for all they’ve done in the past, even though Watling actually saved us, and all the loans they’ve made have been paid back, and the club goes cap in hand to the fans to fund projects which should be paid for by the owners as an investment. 
Delia gets the flak because she’s the one who gets and wants all the publicity when things are going well, even most Norwich fans couldn’t pick MWJ out of the line up.

There's a lot of massive assumptions posted as facts. Because they had one loan paid back doesn't mean they were all paid back. Many were transferred into shares, there by making them worthless. Like my shares are worthless. They had underwritten share issues so had to buy what others didn't want. Geoffrey Watling was prepared to listen to offers for the shareholding for 18 months before choosing to sell to D&M. 

Tom is still in the future so who knows.

18 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Absolutely all of this.

Selling Maddison, fans funding the academy, £50 home/away memberships, almost non existent investment in the squad prior to a PL season. All things that has have happened because of a self funding approach necessitated by the relatively shallow pockets of our owners.

Still astounded by the fans that laud all of this as a good thing.

Edited by BarclayWazza

People that hate Delia and hurl insults in her direction are misguided, uneducated idiots.

Those that actually have constructive arguments about her ownership are fine but they're never able to provide the alternative. They're never able to accept that there isnt a successful billionaire just gagging to give us money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

People that hate Delia and hurl insults in her direction are misguided, uneducated idiots.

Those that actually have constructive arguments about her ownership are fine but they're never able to provide the alternative. They're never able to accept that there isnt a successful billionaire just gagging to give us money.

Nice of you to join the party at last. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

If the club never goes up for sale, who’s to say there’s no-one out there interested in buying it?

Those who say “no-one wants to buy the club” are, in my opinion, just as bad as those who believe a billionaire oil sheikh is waiting in the wings. At best it’s a Schrodinger situation. There could be buyers, there might not be, but the owners have to be willing to sell and put the club up for sale to find out.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nice of you to join the party at last. 

I wouldn't call it a party, although now you mention it some seem to revelling in it a bit too much.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

If the club never goes up for sale, who’s to say there’s no-one out there interested in buying it?

Those who say “no-one wants to buy the club” are, in my opinion, just as bad as those who believe a billionaire oil sheikh is waiting in the wings. At best it’s a Schrodinger situation. There could be buyers, there might not be, but the owners have to be willing to sell and put the club up for sale to find out.

I think me and you have had this conversation recently but if there is a billionaire waiting in the wings now would be a great time for them to speak up - they would get a decent proportion of fans onside pretty quickly.

How do we know there isn't a billionaire out there. Or even someone with a decent sized wallet?  Because of the fact Delia has categorically written the idea off, we will never know.  I don't hate her but because of her holding us back with her approach, I certainly don't like her.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I wouldn't call it a party, although now you mention it some seem to revelling in it a bit too much.

You do know we have just been thrashed 4-0 i take it and our relegation officially confirmed . What on earth did you expect to see on here this afternoon ?

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Agree.If a house isn't up for sale, not many people are going to knock on the door asking to buy it. 

Didn’t the owners once indicate they employed a company to find a buyer? But then that goes against the Owners interview about never intending to sell but to hand the club down?

I can’t remember and unlike others I can’t be bothered to troll through the press for old articles! But which is true?

Thanks Broadstairs.

In the immediate aftermath of today's game, it's easy to take out our frustrations on the board.  They're not blameless, but this probably isn't the best time to have a productive conversation.  Feelings are running high and rightly so, because we care.

As you say, Delia's main focus is and always has been the social side of football.  And that's precisely the problem, you've hit the nail on the head.  It's her toy and no one is going to take it away, even if she's tired of it.  But what's good for Delia is not necessarily good for the club, and I've seen no evidence that she is either willing or able to recognise that. 

No one would want her to sell the club to the first shyster who comes along with a wad of dodgy money, but her refusal to sell come what may rings loud alarm bells too.  Now that covid has turned the world upside down, it's something she may already be starting to regret.  She had plenty of time to pick her moment and leave on a high with the club in responsible hands, but she blew it.

We need new blood at least as much as new money.

Edited by benchwarmer

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You do know we have just been thrashed 4-0 i take it and our relegation officially confirmed . What on earth did you expect to see on here this afternoon ?

Do you know what the word revelling means and the context it was being used in?

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I wonder how many Chelsea fans were able to put forwards Roman Abramovich’s name before he purchased them? He was an unknown, barely anyone in the game would have ever heard of him. It’s easy to throw some names around though if that’s what you want. Red Bull have been looking to get into the English game for several years and Jim Radcliffe has purchased Nice in preparation for gaining knowledge to buy and run a club in England