The Great Mass Debater

Why do people hate Delia so much?

I realise that it is probably just a vocal minority, but this board is full of people who are obsessed with her.

The way I see it, Delia and Wynn-Jones took control of the club when financially it was on it's knees, and have been a steady pair of hands and given us a club for the last 25 years.

She is wealthy and put a considerable amount of her money into the club, but she is not super rich - is it as simple as that? That some fans hate her simply because she isnt rich enough for them? Is it that simple that they imagine she is blocking an imaginary super-rich sheikh who cant wait to take over a rather parochial club and transform us into the next Man City? That, rather than saving, and giving us a club for the last 25 years, at her own expense, she is in fact the one holding the club back.

Perhaps it's because she is a ruthless invester, who seeks only to strip the club of its assets and never attends any of the games. Hmm, no its not that.

Perhaps it's simply that some fans always need a scapegoat or someone to blame. For some its a player, for others its the manager or Webber/McNally etc.

Just dont get it myself

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I realise that it is probably just a vocal minority, but this board is full of people who are obsessed with her.

The way I see it, Delia and Wynn-Jones took control of the club when financially it was on it's knees, and have been a steady pair of hands and given us a club for the last 25 years.

She is wealthy and put a considerable amount of her money into the club, but she is not super rich - is it as simple as that? That some fans hate her simply because she isnt rich enough for them? Is it that simple that they imagine she is blocking an imaginary super-rich sheikh who cant wait to take over a rather parochial club and transform us into the next Man City? That, rather than saving, and giving us a club for the last 25 years, at her own expense, she is in fact the one holding the club back.

Perhaps it's because she is a ruthless invester, who seeks only to strip the club of its assets and never attends any of the games. Hmm, no its not that.

Perhaps it's simply that some fans always need a scapegoat or someone to blame. For some its a player, for others its the manager or Webber/McNally etc.

Just dont get it myself

It's because she is now holding the club back. Everyone appreciates what she did but it's no different to a lot of owners putting millions on their own money in. I dislike the fact she will not consider outside investment bearing in mind she was one of the poorest in the champs and is miles behind in the prem. And the fact she is passing the club to nephew Tom who has no experience and no money. 

• Like 2

She has put a modest amount of money in (although probably a large amount of her net wealth) but had that repaid and her shares are now likely worth a decent amount so she's done well from it.  

Today we will become the first club to be relegated 5 times. 3 times in the last 10 years we have failed to capitalise on an opportunity and consistently we have failed to put the money in at the start of the campaign and we've either got in trouble when we've thrown money at the situation in the January transfer window or acquired players that we couldn't afford at the start of the season. 

The reason for this is that we have owners who will not or cannot put money into the club. We had the nucleus of a great young side at the start of the season that with a few sensible additions at the start could IMO have easily reached mid table. As it it, we stand to be relegated again and stand to lose these potentially great young players.  At this point it becomes negligent.  Their insistence on not selling up and bequeathing the club to their nephew is holding the club back.

Look at Sheffield United this season. They identified the gaps in their squad, sensibly invested what was still a relatively small amount in their side at the start of the season and reaped the benefits. That investment will be repaid by another season in the Premier League.  The purchases they made weren't financially suicidal and on players with resale value (I make that point to counter any "well what about Aston Villa" comments - I'm nowhere near suggesting we should spend >£100m).

I'm also not suggesting that we should be selling out to a stinking rich Chinese owner but I also cannot believe there is no-one out there that wants to put money into a club with a large fan base and good infrastructure. So that leaves me with the conclusion that Delia is obstructing outside investment.

It still amazes me that people buy into this sustainable, top 26 club ethos, unaware that it is the only method that enables Delia to remain in control.

• Like 2

I don't think there are many people who actively "hate" Delia and Michael. I can totally understand the argument that she's taken the club as far as she can, though. And when Tom takes over, he will not have the accrued goodwill that D&M have built up for their service over the years.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Just dont get it myself

She doesn’t put anything into the club, what is the point in her?

I don’t think anyone “hates” Delia or Michael. That is an overly strong word. Their work in saving the club in the 90s and steadying the ship initially have to be remembered, as does the passion and commitment put in over the years in a club they truly love. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and over again as key decision makers on the board. Becoming too friendly with the management blighted their actions in the latter part of the Worthington reign, which was not professional and cost us dearly by a swift decline. Constant restructures and weird appointments are usually signs of desperation and a lack of business strategy. In modern-day sport ownership they are also well and truly out of their depth. Although their hearts are in the right place, their financial power seriously lacks what is needed to compete with competitors of the highest level. But the thing that annoyed me personally is publicly announcing they’re not interested in offers for new ownership and handing the club over to their nephew. That is holding the club back and needs addressing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Did these restructures work? Or should we still carry on with the first appointments in 1998?

People have continually blamed Delia (not even Delia and Michael) for everything that goes wrong and given them no credit for anything that goes right since, we were relegated in 2009. My guess is it's because they never got their pound of flesh.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

She is wealthy and put a considerable amount of her money into the club, but she is not super rich - is it as simple as that.

All the money she has loaned the club has been repaid and her shareholding has increased along the way. She is certainly rich compared to the likes of you and me but is a pauper in the world of football.

I doubt anybody hates them. It’s obvious that they have taken the club as far as they can and this model will not work at this level though. I’d like them to acknowledge that and actively be looking for people who maybe can. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

She doesn’t put anything into the club, what is the point in her?

Enjoys immensely the social aspect of it.....

No one hates her. Her legacy could and should have been something sweet. Together with hubby‘s it’s getting  more tarnished  by the week but she’s a stubborn one and doesn’t give a sh!t. 

For me I really don’t care anymore, but my biggest chip is the constant defence of her saving the club, when the reality is there were a lot of people involved at the time, then the comment which was issued early on where they indicated that no one should own majority share holding, there’s been other things too, but it’s her nature of being so arrogant towards the fans, she’s very nice to talk to at events but the reality is when she’s challenged she’s very dismissive.

But I really don’t care as she’s got every right to do as she pleases, it’s her name s majority holding and they have control. Good luck to her.

Webber & Farke are building a very good foundation and I’m confident next year we will be pushing to come back up.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

So now Delia doesn't care. But it's not hatred...

She plainly doesn’t care, and yes I don’t believe people hate her. Please don’t riddle it out for 2 pages. 

There is no way a self funding model works in the Premier League, we weren't even close. Forget it.

External investment sorely needed. 

• Like 2

She plainly does care and it's obvious people do hate her.

They don't hate Wynnie though. Perhaps they think he cares..

Dont hate her but she is a millionaire in a billionaires game and makes us look embarrassingly tinpot despite the fact we could easily fill 30k stadiums.

We are on a road to nowhere under her stewardship.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Enjoys immensely the social aspect of it.....

Exactly! I applaud that the owner is a passionate fan and attends the games. But seriously, if the owner cannot support the club, they need to take a look at the times 

When myself and Stuart (Webber) started here we had to sell our best players just to keep the club running. Without selling James Maddison to Leicester it is doubtful whether this club even had a future.

I just added this to the west ham Thread But it Sums up my Thoughts on Delia 

I am Sure The Club Would Have Survived !

what would have happened was Delia would have been forced to sell if you she could not afford to keep the club afloat 

So it is ok for Delia to be The one who saved us But she would not of sold the club when we were nearly going out of business 

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Just dont get it myself

because she has no passion to take the club forward and says we never have any money after we sell out best players and bring in a load of crap 

Nobody actually hates her, but she seems to have become more possessive over the years.I would not go so far as to use the word control freak but she does revel in any successes, yet remains rather silent about the failures. I probably do not blame her, who wouldn't?

She blossoms when the (her) club does well and soaks it all up with all the aplomb of an Oscar winning actress. MWJ seems the opposite, I like him a lot.

She is not the only publicity lover in the current climate of reality tv, social media and our apparent desire to have the actions of various socialites grab the headlines though. There are far worse than her. Neither does she need it. As a national icon she has more status that the second tier so called celebrities who dominate the headlines of popular newspapers these days.

Edited by BroadstairsR

For several years now Delia has made it obvious that she's disenchanted with football, the PL in particular.  Entirely understandable, and she's not alone.  But she refuses to let go.  Whatever the reason - stubbornness?  pride?  spite against those who think it's time for her to go? - it really isn't in the club's best interests, especially in these troubled times. Like a fish, NCFC is rotting from the head downwards.

Edited by benchwarmer

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

She plainly does care and it's obvious people do hate her.

They don't hate Wynnie though. Perhaps they think he cares..

Frustrated to hell now with her yes but who’s said they hate her? 

1 minute ago, benchwarmer said:

For several years now Delia has made it obvious that she's disenchanted with football, the PL in particular.  Entirely understandable, and she's not alone.  But she refuses to let go.  Whatever the reason - stubbornness?  pride?  spite against those who think it's time for her to go? - it really isn't in the club's best interests, especially in these troubled times. Like a fish, NCFC is rotting from the head downwards.

That's far too strong, and obviously so.

How many other clubs do you need me to list in order to demonstrate that so many are in a lot worse position than us, despite the current malaise?

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Dont hate her but she is a millionaire in a billionaires game and makes us look embarrassingly tinpot despite the fact we could easily fill 30k stadiums.

We are on a road to nowhere under her stewardship.

There are some rich clubs in the Championship too.

I've never been to an AGM so I don't know how active she is in the running of the club, or if she just sits there and let others get on with it. Having already decided to leave the club to nephew Tom there isn't going to be any change sometime soon.