TIL 1010

RIP Jack Charlton.

Wasit him who said that you start every football match with a point and the first aim is to make sure you don't lose it?

Good manager for Ireland nevertheless.

Superb player and ambassador for the English game, albeit somewhat blunt at times.

Loved him in his time in management and he is a hero in Ireland, a happy moment of being in the right place at the right time. I used to enjoy his commentary too!

With Bobby, has there ever been such a successful pair of footballing brothers?

My dad didn’t bother much with football when my brother and I were growing up but if he was watching a game on TV and someone committed a cynical foul he would put on his version of a north-eastern drawl and say ‘If you can’t get the baaall get the maaan’ which he said was a Jack Charlton quote.

One of the heroes of ‘66-RIP

Maybe should have had the England job. No-one would have been more prouder. And I don't think he would have played hoofball like he did with ROI. He played that way because of the players available.

But he thought long and hard about the game and played to his teams strengths whether it was defense or attack.

The word Legend is spoken all too often these days about some of our over paid footballers. Big Jack was a true Legend.

Sad news, a great English footballer, a great Manager and set the standard for the RoI, a honest, genuine human being. Resonates with me as my Dad is a similar age and has dementia, heading a heavy wet leather ball probably did not help. Rest in peace wherever you may be Jack........

Thanks to Sir Arthur South's connection to my employer (R G Carter) I was given two tickets to the 1988 Cup Final and sat next to Jack Charlton, very friendly and funny guy who didn't mind me bombarding him with questions about his time with Leeds. The third Leeds legend to have died recently which is so sad given how close they are to the PL. 

• Like 1

Nice to see this post lads, we (Leeds) have lost a few of the old boys lately.  RIP Jack.

Sad news for us over here in Ireland. Big Jack generated huge interest in the game here. Made the Ireland team competitive & difficult to beat, got them to 3 finals tournaments, turned you lot over in Stuttgart 88 and the Italians in Giants Stadium 94. The players loved him & the atmosphere he fostered. Countless stories & memories arose from his time as manager, mostly from people who probably never watched a match before (and possibly since?) - a very special legacy, and deserving of the 'legend' moniker.

Apparently he was looked over for the England job in the 80s and it hurt. He was angry and ashamed about the organised Combat 18 trashing of Lansdowne Road in Dublin in 1995 by England "fans." But he will be forever fondly remembered in Ireland, possibly even more so than in England, despite being a stalwart of '66. Johnny Giles said he was the best centre-half of his era. 

Many thanks Big Jack for the memories. "Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

His autobiography is superb read, how he had the idea to stand in front of the keeper at corners, how his wife set up the Leeds club shop only for the club to take it away once it became successful......great stories from a true legendary family. RIP big Jack.

21 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Wasit him who said that you start every football match with a point and the first aim is to make sure you don't lose it ?

I think  that was also a Chris  Hughton philosophy, maybe Jack was his mentor. Brought Footy into the forefront of the Irish news at one point. Thousands would turn up just to watch him  cast a fly at Ballina's ridgepool.   RIP Big Jack.

He wont be crossing the Styx without wetting a line on the way. 

Considering the disparity in their footballing ability, it's amazing that Jack will be remembered with at least as much fondness as Bobby. It was not always so. At one time Jack's tactics on attacking set pieces, particularly his baulking of opposition goalkeepers on attacking set pieces, was considered beyond the pale. When he retired, his 'little black book' comment - noting those to whom he owed a degree of revenge - did not go down well, amidst much tut-tutting at the old FA headquarters. It was far too honest and far too blunt for them.

It's pleasing that Jack has now been sanctified and put on a pedestal alongside his brother's pedestal. Not the same pedestal, let it be noted, as they really didn't get on. Jack had none of Bobby's jarring sanctimony, and I believe that Bobby found Jack a little too ready to be himself.

My favourite Jack Charlton story came from a guy I worked with in my first job. He had attended an England vs Scotland game at Wembley towards the end of Jackie's international career. After the game he was hanging around the old ground level concourses, when a group of Scotland fans spotted him on his own, cornered him, and were intent on giving him a bit of a kicking. At the crucial moment the Scots boys stopped in their tracks as none other than Jack Charlton came breaking through their ranks intent on rescue, swishing his white Umbro kit bag as he went. Fearless Jack. That's how he deserves to be remembered. 

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think  that was also a Chris  Hughton philosophy, maybe Jack was his mentor. Brought Footy into the forefront of the Irish news at one point. Thousands would turn up just to watch him  cast a fly at Ballina's ridgepool.   RIP Big Jack.

He wont be crossing the Styx without wetting a line on the way. 

If my memory serves, after narrowly missing out on qualification for Euro 92, he found time to do an RTE documentary on angling!

Just now, paddycanary said:

If my memory serves, after narrowly missing out on qualification for Euro 92, he found time to do an RTE documentary on angling!

Absolutely!! the results were in,  nothing more he or the players could do. Angling was his way of relaxing , mine too. If I could squeeze a few quid out of RTE to make a documentary, I would, in a flash.  Wasnt going to mention this but it was after USA 94, he was again in Ballina, in the ridgepool ,we were up on the Bridge eating fish n chips from the nearby italian chipper  and my daughter ,6 at the time, had recently caught her first salmon in a local river down in Cork. When he emerged from the water at the end of his run through, she sneaked down and proudly showed him her photo of herself and said Salmon. He kindly told her it was a great acheivement at such a young age and laughed when she said that there were so many fish in the Ridgepool that she was amazed that he hadnt caught one in the last hour or so. He signed the photo with the words " To the future Georgina  Ballantine, respect from Jack Charlton ,Ballina 94" .

She of course had no idea who Georgina   Ballantine was until I told her she was and still is the holder of the  British record rod caught Salmon, 64 lbs. 

Good man, wor Jackie.

• Like 1