Bill

Official West Ham thread

Maybe it's just good fortune for our majority shareholders and hierarchy at the club, that there's no supporters allowed.....I don't think our home support would just stream away at full-time ho-hummin', oh wellin' and a tuttin'.....

Godfrey just keeps giving out gifts with his sloppy marking. I wonder if we would do better if he would swap places with Tettey

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I think he is trying to ease him in Indy reading into his recent comments. Doesn't want to get him attached so much to our performance level in the last few games. I think that is good management. Adam should be great next year and can hopefully look forward to showing us what he is about 

That would have made more sense if we’d had nothing to play for since the restart.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Angry said:

That would have made more sense if we’d had nothing to play for since the restart.

I guess he trusted in Teemu

10 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Null and void would have been euthanasia; this is like death by a thousand cuts.

I just worry about the mental damage this is doing.

OTBC

Sure someone can sort out their mental problems 

I'm absolutely gobsmacked how poor we've been against some the weakest teams in the league since the restart. 

I really get the feeling that Farke has lost the current group of players. 

Man City and Chelsea are going to be horrible to watch. 

EDIT: For ****s sake... Another set piece

Edited by HertsCanary93

Feels like the team are just limping to the end now. They know the season has gone and the defeatist attitude has set in. I said last season after promotion that this season would see a lot of very young players experience things they hadnt before. Previously they had been part of a successful team in which it isnt hard to be full of confidence and enjoy your football.

Many of the players will be imagining their futures are elsewhere. Pretty natural really. Cant wait for the season to end personally so we can move on from this season, let go of the players we expect to leave and look to our new team with some hope.

The team has regressed, but there is no doubt the club has moved forward. Relegation often means a period of rot is about to set in. I dont feel this about this relegation, I feel the club is nevertheless progressing

• Like 2

Just now, sonyc said:

And rightly so-but Adam should have been tried ahead of Drmic I think.

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes agree Disco. This is a damaging end. Players knowing that not only are they part of a relegated team, but are arguably not even close to being competitive at this level. At least Zimm and Hanley miss out on being part of this end of season patch

While acknowledging that lockdown has had an impact on this season in many ways,  I can't recall an end to a season such as this. There's always been belief and resistance, even if ultimately it led to the inevitable. But from the very first game back (Southampton) it's just not been there.

Yes, players going through the motions, doing their jobs but I don't think the belief was ever there. Too many of them thought that we had gone; its not surprising as most of us thought they had as well. They are only human. You can only keep going for so long before your mental reserves are running on empty.

Oh...and there's the 2nd...again from a set-piece.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

Defending of set pieces is a joke. I can’t see this team recovering from this season enough to put in any promotion attempt next season

• Like 1

Why didn’t I put Antonio in my fantasy team? Should have known he would score with his head against us.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Awful at defending set pieces, awful at taking them. Those things will find you out in the PL

In any league

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Agreed with this and your previous post re Idah. Chucking him in at the deep end “right, it’s your job to score the goals to keep us up” would have been poor, even as second choice behind Pukki but ahead of Drmic. Now we’re down (even an argument for him to be in the starting line up today to be honest), I wouldn’t be averse to giving him much more game time. No pressure. I said elsewhere - if I was a young player I’d be buzzing to be given the chance to play against Chelsea and Man City in a competitive match but one where I basically have no pressure because the rest of the squad has already got us relegated. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

And rightly so-but Adam should have been tried ahead of Drmic I think.

Agree with that

This restart has made the Hughton relegation season look like the glory years. 

If fans were in the stadium for these performances, I think Webber would be being asked some serious questions. It's been ugly.