Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Nature watch.

Recommended Posts

Insect lovers will like this creature, the Giant Wood Wasp.One was flying around me today. It freaked me out when I first saw one a few years ago but after some research found out they were harmless.

Giant Wood Wasp by Arkins | ePHOTOzine

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nice to see some good news for a change. I see that guy in the EDP report regularly at Blickling, sight for sore eyes 

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a week ago, I gave up my usual evening/night time routine of Pub, Dinner, Bed to go driving. I left Reykjavík about 9.15pm and got back at 4.30am

Sun on the way down over the mountains west of þingvallavatn, just gone 10pmIMG_0013.thumb.JPG.9b4c9af78a1cf8f0194727f6c2311960.JPG

þingvallavatn from the east, around 10.45pm

IMG_0020.thumb.JPG.fc964d451bb18bfedac87fa4170bf13c.JPG

next two are Gullfoss at midnight

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.22febed197b89e7b294f93effd3bfabe.JPG

IMG_0035.thumb.JPG.5537fdcbbbab086ce67ba4d508abc7a4.JPG

about 10 miles north of Gullfoss, just gone 12.30am

IMG_0046.thumb.JPG.ecbb0a338a5f32c8e4f8e0b5a78679f8.JPG

looking to the east, over the town of Hveragerði, from Hellisheiði, about 03.30am

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.34550b401b7d3d166b9c9f513ba09b98.JPG

just before sunrise about 15 miles east of Reykjavík, 03.50am

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.1df87785333137ef9a9281260a3d5221.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that Elastic. My dad was there during WW2, a lovely wild place.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Iceland for a couple of days last February (just after a large dump of snow) and did the Golden Circle Tour. The coach journey was terrifying as we sped along in whiteout conditions from the snow being blown across the road but the sights were totally amazing. The windchill was pretty incredible too. 🥶

Thingvellir also has toilets with possibly one of the most spectacular views in the world. 🤣

Apples

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live on a 10 year old estate south of Norwich and we have House Martins nesting every year. We are getting close to the time when they go back to Africa and they all gather on and around the roof of one house for a couple of days before they start the journey. The lovely people who live there are thrilled even though they spend ages pressure washing the house afterwards. 

Yesterday I saw my first ever Red Kite in Hethel. What a sight! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I live on a 10 year old estate south of Norwich and we have House Martins nesting every year. We are getting close to the time when they go back to Africa and they all gather on and around the roof of one house for a couple of days before they start the journey. The lovely people who live there are thrilled even though they spend ages pressure washing the house afterwards. 

Yesterday I saw my first ever Red Kite in Hethel. What a sight! 

We have the Swifts here in Norwich, they seem to like nesting in the eves of the old terrace houses. They turn up regular as clockwork, the first week in May and will be gone by the end of the first week in August. I saw a couple of stragglers this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A kite in Hethel? That's just down the road. Might have to go for a wander later. I hope you shouted at it that there were plenty of rabbits to eat on mulbarton common!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blessed this morning with two pair of Kites and a Buzzard floating over the adjacent field of wheat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Raptor said:

A kite in Hethel? That's just down the road. Might have to go for a wander later. I hope you shouted at it that there were plenty of rabbits to eat on mulbarton common!

The Red Kite was being discussed on the Mulbarton FB site this week. Most sightings have been around Hethel Woods and Bracon Ash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the most stunning butterfly. Luminous pink wings with black and cream, tiger striped back. Never seen one before so God knows what it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herman said:

Just seen the most stunning butterfly. Luminous pink wings with black and cream, tiger striped back. Never seen one before so God knows what it was. 

I’m definitely not an expert but could it have been a moth ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may have been Frank. Going to do a Google search and see if I can find it. I was trying to photograph it but it flew off and have a blurry image of its back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Herman said:

It may have been Frank. Going to do a Google search and see if I can find it. I was trying to photograph it but it flew off and have a blurry image of its back. 

Was it the Privet Hawk Moth?:

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....and a Partridge on a plant pot.

A nesting partridge was stumbled upon hidden amongst the clematis. A handful of chicks with her, although I couldn't count how many as they would hide under her wing when I approached for a photo. Cute little things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you are still clicking the old camera shutter Herman. I paid a visit to WATATUNGA the new nature reserve in Watlington a couple of days ago and met this chap..a Great Bustard. Forgot to put the trusty Nikon in the car and only had my phone with me so pictures were not to good. Place is well worth a visit and the grandkids loved the ride in the golf buggy each family gets to drive round in convoy in. Will be going back but with my big cam and tele lens.

pcUTqx6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chough, which used to be prevalent in Cornwall, and is in fact on the county badge, and then died off, is beginning to make a comeback. There are a few nesting sites but you can't go anywhere near them. I  saw one or two in the 80's near Lands End.

Part of the Crow family but is the only one to have a very distinctive red beak. They are called Cornish Choughs here. Mind you, in Cornwall, if it flys past here, flows past here and blows past here, it is claimed as Cornish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bustard in my picture is am import. The last one in Britain was shot in 1832. The reseve has several but they are kept apart because they fight to much when together. It is the worlds heaviest flying bird but these have had one wings flight feathers clipped to stop them flying away. There is no blood to them so it does not harm them. After the moult a new set grows. The ranger gave a couple of my grandkids a feather each that I have been tasked to make a quill pen out of. It will consist of me cutting the tip off and pushing a biro refill in...job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have my phone on me all the time, just in case @SHRIMPER A couple from friday. The Jersey moth is here to stay by the looks of it and more than welcome.

p?i=1a8958a94cf5ad2d0f53e2af1632739d

p?i=1a446bf3b13115c13835d97086fea029

The chicks are under its wing, honest.😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took these at Hunstanton. Cliff formation and rocks. I sent the rock formation on the beach to the British Geological Survey people for some info. The rocks on the beach are between 101 and 113 million year old Carrstone formations. It looks like they are man made but are natural.

 

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 11:01, keelansgrandad said:

The Chough, which used to be prevalent in Cornwall, and is in fact on the county badge, and then died off, is beginning to make a comeback. There are a few nesting sites but you can't go anywhere near them. I  saw one or two in the 80's near Lands End.

Part of the Crow family but is the only one to have a very distinctive red beak. They are called Cornish Choughs here. Mind you, in Cornwall, if it flys past here, flows past here and blows past here, it is claimed as Cornish.

I spotted several at St Ives last year..

I was really chuffed 👈🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Herman said:

Have my phone on me all the time, just in case @SHRIMPER A couple from friday. The Jersey moth is here to stay by the looks of it and more than welcome.

p?i=1a8958a94cf5ad2d0f53e2af1632739d

p?i=1a446bf3b13115c13835d97086fea029

The chicks are under its wing, honest.😀

To be specific, that's a Red-Legged Partridge, Hermo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...