Herman

Nature watch.

Exciting development if confirmed, from FT
US government scientists have made a breakthrough in the pursuit of limitless, zero-carbon power by achieving a net energy gain in a fusion reaction for the first time, according to three people with knowledge of preliminary results from a recent experiment. Physicists have since the 1950s sought to harness the fusion reaction that powers the sun, but no group had been able to produce more energy from the reaction than it consumes — a milestone known as net energy gain or target gain, which would help prove the process could provide a reliable, abundant alternative to fossil fuels and conventional nuclear energy. The federal Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which uses a process called inertial confinement fusion that involves bombarding a tiny pellet of hydrogen plasma with the world’s biggest laser, had achieved net energy gain in a fusion experiment in the past two weeks, the people said. Although many scientists believe fusion power stations are still decades away, the technology’s potential is hard to ignore. Fusion reactions emit no carbon, produce no long-lived radioactive waste and a small cup of the hydrogen fuel could theoretically power a house for hundreds of years. The US breakthrough comes as the world wrestles with high energy prices and the need to rapidly move away from burning fossil fuels to stop average global temperatures reaching dangerous levels. Through the Inflation Reduction Act, the Biden administration is ploughing almost $370bn into new subsidies for low-carbon energy in an effort to slash emissions and win a global race for next-generation clean tech. The fusion reaction at the US government facility produced about 2.5 megajoules of energy, which was about 120 per cent of the 2.1 megajoules of energy in the lasers, the people with knowledge of the results said, adding that the data was still being analysed.

• Thanks 1

Flocks of Redwings over the pyracanthas today. I had to ask as I hadn't seen them before.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Herman said:

Flocks of Redwings over the pyracanthas today. I had to ask as I hadn't seen them before.

Great stuff! Noticeable by their absence here. A lovely winter migrant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Great stuff! Noticeable by their absence here. A lovely winter migrant.

Yet, rather more attractive than the band (that came after them😅)

Anyway, a very nice spot @Herman. I'm hoping to catch sight of the odd Fieldfare this winter before they go back to Scandinavia / / Baltics / Ukraine area. Always a treat.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 09.59.49.png

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Useful little picture guide for budding trees (or budding tree spotters). Many are already in bud despite the recent weather.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Useful little picture guide for budding trees (or budding tree spotters). Many are already in bud despite the recent weather.

Saw that. Amazing that they're all sitting there, waiting to spring into action as soon as weather warms up.

I also notice that a lot of trees are still hanging on to their leaves. A result of the hot summer somehow, and the false autumn.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Saw that. Amazing that they're all sitting there, waiting to spring into action as soon as weather warms up.

I also notice that a lot of trees are still hanging on to their leaves. A result of the hot summer somehow, and the false autumn.

Yes they certainly are. Quite an odd thing really that some trees have less of a bare outline than you might expect - though you get to see their skeleton shape often right through to March (up here anyway). I keep looking out for some blackthorn, only because on a short trip to the Waveney valley a year ago I came across some sloes and I wanted to find more again. There is one small group of black thorns nearby but they get plundered!

I'm discovering new walks where I am and love the many clumps of trees on the hillsides. Definitely one of my favourite type of views. The bare trees make it even better somehow.

Couple of photos here.

IMG_20221212_151404.jpg

IMG_20221212_232702.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Lovely evocative photos. Whereabouts are you?

Steeton. Yes, the weather creates some great atmosphere especially with so many sheep and dry stone walls around. Dog walking gets you out and about!

Edited by sonyc

Just back from a dog walk in Hethel Woods where I heard a Woodpecker drumming. I'm sure it's usually much later in the year. Must admit I couldn't see it but the sound can't be mistaken. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just back from a dog walk in Hethel Woods where I heard a Woodpecker drumming. I'm sure it's usually much later in the year. Must admit I couldn't see it but the sound can't be mistaken. 

Needed more cowbell I felt 

• Haha 3

I had three Robins in my greenhouse today and they were being reasonably tolerant of each other. No punch-ups, rumbles or attacks. I'm not sure what is going on.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I had three Robins in my greenhouse today and they were being reasonably tolerant of each other. No punch-ups, rumbles or attacks. I'm not sure what is going on.

Clearly non-binary robins

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, horsefly said:

Clearly non-binary robins

Thought they'd be bitchin for a fight more than regular Robins tbh. The humans seem to be. 

Currently enduring a knee injury that is stopping me from getting out n about on the coast, so sat forlornly looking at the waves yesterday from my car.....and lo!! In the waves about 25m out were six unmistakable  dark shapes , each in the 55-70 cm bracket, now it was impossible for me to  angle for them , given my knee, but it warmed the cockles of my heart to see the Bass , at my nearest beach....for the  first time ever. 👌👌👌

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Thought they'd be bitchin for a fight more than regular Robins tbh. The humans seem to be. 

You're thinking of them there Sparrows, bastards the lot of them.

On 12/01/2023 at 16:32, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I had the pleasure of seeing the 20 plus Waxwing flock that arrived on a 1970's housing estate in North Lowestoft just before Christmas.

Quite a sight.

I bet, all those flares and tank tops 

• Haha 2

Having just moved to rural norfolk its been lovely seeing all the muntjac in the garden, pheasants, rabbits, otters and resident stoat. Ive got a pond which im looking to dig out and make into smaller type of lake as well just to encourage any wildlife, albeit I will have to fence no doubt due to local otters. Plus ive seen some kind of Lynx cat which rushed off into the thick brush before i could take a photo.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 13:59, jaberry2 said:

Having just moved to rural norfolk its been lovely seeing all the muntjac in the garden, pheasants, rabbits, otters and resident stoat. Ive got a pond which im looking to dig out and make into smaller type of lake as well just to encourage any wildlife, albeit I will have to fence no doubt due to local otters. Plus ive seen some kind of Lynx cat which rushed off into the thick brush before i could take a photo.

Blimey! Forget Ken Hill, you'll have the Spring Watch team knocking on your door soon.

• Like 1

You might be able to set your clock each day to this lot? The roost takes over a good half hour with a mass fly out from the nests a few times before settling down for the night. I counted over 200. Quite a sight really.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2