Herman

Nature watch.

On 12/08/2022 at 11:11, horsefly said:

I have several dotted around. Absolutely crucial for a wildlife focused garden. I also created a watering hole at ground level in a shady corner (see pics) which gets the most use of all the birdbaths in the garden. It's also accessible and safe for hedgehogs etc. Very much worth the small amount of effort required to construct.

IMG_1903.JPG

I very much like this idea 👍

On 12/08/2022 at 11:11, horsefly said:

I have several dotted around. Absolutely crucial for a wildlife focused garden. I also created a watering hole at ground level in a shady corner (see pics) which gets the most use of all the birdbaths in the garden. It's also accessible and safe for hedgehogs etc. Very much worth the small amount of effort required to construct.

IMG_1903.JPG

I very much like this idea 👍

18 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Jumping out from behind pots to scare you 🤣

👍😂

Clearing out the greenhouse during the wet parts of the day and they were nicely camouflaged. Big old lads too.

On 17/08/2022 at 18:48, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Jumping out from behind pots to scare you 🤣

Another one this morning. I'm not sure who jumped the most.😀

p?i=3016358d73b7a1d859262bf644e1c7b9

• Haha 1

I appreciate they're like blurry UFO pictures you see in the papers but I got as close as I could. Alot of deer on the Holkham estate today. Easily saw 100+ Also a big bird of prey. (No pic) didn't look like a kite or a buzzard but it probably was. Also a mammoth!!

received_1031398204213669.jpeg

IMG_20220902_155737405.jpg

IMG_20220902_163520618_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I appreciate they're like blurry UFO pictures you see in the papers but I got as close as I could. Alot of deer on the Holkham estate today. Easily saw 100+ Also a big bird of prey. (No pic) didn't look like a kite or a buzzard but it probably was. Also a mammoth!!

received_1031398204213669.jpeg

IMG_20220902_155737405.jpg

IMG_20220902_163520618_HDR.jpg

Marsh Harrier territory up there too 👍

Oh, and the occasional white tailed sea eagle fly by. But you'd know if it was one of them 🦅😁

The cows showed a lot of interest today on my walk. Quite sociable at times.

And the black one was a real sweetie posing for this photo.🙂

IMG_20220905_133027.jpg

IMG_20220905_204114.jpg

• Like 3

Last night I was lure angling in the dark , full moon but with good cloud cover, so I was able to move around without even red headtorch. The Bass were just coming on at about 8-45 and I'd landed a couple of schoolies and released them to come back bigger, then it all went quiet, not a touch for 10 mins. All of a sudden, the cloud cover broke and the pool was bathed in light, just emerging from the water in the far Bank a pair of Otters squabbling over a large Mullet one of them had just caught. I sat on a rock watching them for 15 mins before they trundled off down the estuary . Within minutes it was normal service resumed but now a better stamp of fish, one of which accompanied me home and will be bathed in ginger , spring onion etc this evening. I tried taking a photo of the otters but at the range and level of light my phone just wasn't up to it. 

IMG_20220910_214447.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That's quite impressive 👍

Someone has been feeding the birds with sunflower seeds and we keep finding them dotted around work. I've never seen a multi flowered one though.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Someone has been feeding the birds with sunflower seeds and we keep finding them dotted around work. I've never seen a multi flowered one though.

Not a very good pic, but this multi-headed specimen self-seeded in my garden this year too (reached about 6ft).

IMG_20220729_094645_resized_20221001_104026492.jpg

• Like 3

Mrs Richard found this little sod crawling up one of the curtains late last night! Sorry for rubbish photo but pretty sure it's a false Black Widow. Live in a big old house in the sticks where we have endless spindly cellar spiders (who tend to eat most of the big hairy house spiders) but first one of these in the five years we've been here.

Anyone else had one in the house out of interest. Ours got put in a jar and chucked well away from the house!

20221010_070801.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

Mrs Richard found this little sod crawling up one of the curtains late last night! Sorry for rubbish photo but pretty sure it's a false Black Widow. Live in a big old house in the sticks where we have endless spindly cellar spiders (who tend to eat most of the big hairy house spiders) but first one of these in the five years we've been here.

Anyone else had one in the house out of interest. Ours got put in a jar and chucked well away from the house!

20221010_070801.jpg

We get a lot of those in Mulbarton. They have a nasty nip. 

Also had this European spider indoors recently 

20221007_132008.thumb.jpg.ef5834656435f2cdff23107eabbf40c6.jpg

• Like 1

There's a report in today's EDP that swans (and other wild birds) are dying in the bird flu epidemic.  Several dead swans have been found at Potter Heigham and Horning.  The report also contains guidelines on what to do if you find one.

• Sad 2

If you get a chance, have a look at the entries for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year on the BBC website, and pick your favourite.

Being a sentimental old thing, the death in the arms of her keeper of an old mountain gorilla rescued as a baby from poachers just about tops it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Herman said:

Whitefly, blowing through the sky.

Are you sure it's not the ripped-up shreds of Kami-Kwasi's "fiscal event" policy paper?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Herman said:

Love the bat-snatcher too. Perfectly timed.👍

I also liked the polar bears making themselves at home in a deserted Siberian village.

• Like 1