Herman

Nature watch.

A nice story to temper the awful stories about political corruption dominating the media:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/first-grey-seal-pup-of-the-season-born-at-england-s-largest-colony/ar-AAQiiAl?ocid=msedgntp

First grey seal pup of the season born at England’s largest colony

The first grey seal pup of the season has been born at England’s largest grey seal colony.
It was spotted at Blakeney Point in Norfolk on Friday, six days later than last season, and since then a further five pups have been sighted

The first grey seal pup of the season has been born at Blakeney Point in Norfolk. (Hanne Siebers/ National Trust/ PA)

image.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

A nice story to temper the awful stories about political corruption dominating the media:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/first-grey-seal-pup-of-the-season-born-at-england-s-largest-colony/ar-AAQiiAl?ocid=msedgntp

First grey seal pup of the season born at England’s largest colony

The first grey seal pup of the season has been born at England’s largest grey seal colony.
It was spotted at Blakeney Point in Norfolk on Friday, six days later than last season, and since then a further five pups have been sighted

The first grey seal pup of the season has been born at Blakeney Point in Norfolk. (Hanne Siebers/ National Trust/ PA)

image.png

Good stuff 👍 here's to another successful breeding season. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 18:34, Herman said:

In the over 20 years I have worked at my place I had never seen a lizard until today. It was quick as lightning so you'll have to forgive a lack of photos.

He was back today and I managed to get an iffy photo of him.

p?i=2bb7018a320b1852f8ea094ba0abd3b0

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

He was back today and I managed to get an iffy photo of him.

p?i=2bb7018a320b1852f8ea094ba0abd3b0

wow! great sighting

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

wow! great sighting

I was chasing the little sod around the greenhouse trying to get a photo.😀

6 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

10am - the sun should be up soon 

Meanwhile, the moon looks nice 

20211120_095934.thumb.jpg.12065c3a09298047ad6870ad05bb9c41.jpg

Ooh lovely 🥰

Where are you? (Apologies if you've mentioned before.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Those photos were taken on Þrengslavegur, around 30 minutes east of Reykjavík  😊

It's a reasonably pronounceable part of the country. Looks stunning too.😀👍

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 16:07, horsefly said:

Better late than never!!!

The poppy has sent out another flower and two large buds (although a slug has destroyed one.) It's november.

Snow Buntings, Yarmouth North Denes.

I'd seen reports on twitter of them being about, so on Monday, I braved the cold, sleet and hail. 

I wasn't disappointed, they're flighty little ****s, and would fly off and settle 50ft away. I did manage to get down on my hands and knees and stalk them until I was able to get good views of the flock of about 15. A great sight and a first for me. Incredible little birds given the distance and obstacles they face to get here for winter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I'd seen reports on twitter of them being about, so on Monday, I braved the cold, sleet and hail. 

I wasn't disappointed, they're flighty little ****s, and would fly off and settle 50ft away. I did manage to get down on my hands and knees and stalk them until I was able to get good views of the flock of about 15. A great sight and a first for me. Incredible little birds given the distance and obstacles they face to get here for winter.

Wow! great sighting! The last ones I saw were a smallish group in a local field about 20 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I love stories of migrating birds. Would love to see these beauties but not likely to up here in the north. More the east coast. Lucky you.

I get excited each year when I see a fieldfare or two ( the same ones?) in our small back garden. I leave old fallen apples (from a really old Bramley)  to just lay on the ground because in the icy and snowy winter they are such a food source - for blackbirds mainly. Yet, the idea of a Russian visitor (or from that general area) coming each year appeals.

Must try and get a photo.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I love stories of migrating birds. Would love to see these beauties but not likely to up here in the north. More the east coast. Lucky you.

I get excited each year when I see a fieldfare or two ( the same ones?) in our small back garden. I leave old fallen apples (from a really old Bramley)  to just lay on the ground because in the icy and snowy winter they are such a food source - for blackbirds mainly. Yet, the idea of a Russian visitor (or from that general area) coming each year appeals.

Must try and get a photo.

I haven't seen fieldfares or redwings yet this year, despite people hearing them coming in at night a few weeks ago.

Waxwings are another one on my list, they always appear in Bury St Edmunds, but again not heard anything.

45 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I know...

We've got friends whose house is on the cliff just down the road at Trimingham, and they f*ck off to Lanzarote for the winter 😮

What do you do with a situation like that? I doubt they can get insurance and any chance of selling is nil. A beautiful part of the world but at a cost.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

What do you do with a situation like that?

Knock down the house and build an ark

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

What do you do with a situation like that? I doubt they can get insurance and any chance of selling is nil. A beautiful part of the world but at a cost.

Theres a big garden to get through first before it gets to the house, they're ok with it (only bought it's few years ago) their thoughts are, by the time it disappears over the cliff, they'll be long gone.

*It's not the erosion from the sea lapping, it's the amount of water from precipitation that waterlogs the ground above.. 

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Theres a big garden to get through first before it gets to the house, they're ok with it (only bought it's few years ago) their thoughts are, by the time it disappears over the cliff, they'll be long gone.

*It's not the erosion from the sea lapping, it's the amount of water from precipitation that waterlogs the ground above.. 

That's interesting. The weight of all the water causes too much pressure and there is only one way for it to go?!  I suppose there are ways to calm this down but no cheap options.🤔

Cooked fish outside tonight on bbq - ok bit odd. But meant I was able to hear Tawny Owls going at it. Magical . Heard them a bit getting into bed last night. I live pretty much next to a churchyard and definitely 2 maybe 3 in there , with another 2 or 3 calling in the distance. 25 years ago when we moved here that wasn’t so unusual , heard them less and less in recent years until tonight ! 
Right , coat on , recharge glass , and outside I go again ! 

• Like 4

Incredibly important research is this! Trees and bird song improve our wellbeing greatly. I suppose it is obvious in one sense but very encouraging to read a study about it.

Have painted trees for many years (my favourite subject), often as a result of dog walks, so I must do many more🙂

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/20/contact-with-nature-cities-reduces-loneliness-study-mental-health?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1