Herman

Nature watch.

16 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

You'll know if you see a raven, they're huge!

Thought I'd watch some short videos to educate myself on them. If you've got a few spare minutes over the weekend, youtube Fable The Raven. Amazing creature.👍

• Like 1

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore" 😱😂

I've seen a few Ravens on the hills and they are huge with a strange croaky call. We also get Hooded Crows which are similar in size to the Carrion, but have a grey body with black wings and head. Quite often see them on the sea shore raking through seaweed and cracking shells. 

Apples

• Like 2

for myself I help out with collections for OAK & FUROWS WILDLIFE RESCUE  I pick up all sorts of wild life doing that !   I also help the wildlife in my garden. I feed The birds, the foxes, the hedgehogs and the squirrels ! 

• Like 1

Nice little hedgehog started visiting us in the evenings, always wanted one in the garden but never been lucky enough until now. Feeding him mealworms every night and his visits seem to be getting earlier, I guess he likes them.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Nice little hedgehog started visiting us in the evenings, always wanted one in the garden but never been lucky enough until now. Feeding him mealworms every night and his visits seem to be getting earlier, I guess he likes them.

That's good news ,👍

Any fans of bears or wolves here? 

If so I'd really recommend Wild place project near Bristol. A massive wood with high walkways so you can look down on them. Have other cool animals too. It's the best animal related place I've been to in years. 

IMG_20210929_144243_MP.jpg

received_573244733926499.jpeg

• Like 2

A very short break for me and Mrs S along the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Last minute break for first time in over 2 years. Loving being back and even a first visit in a decade to the Fine City (and a trip to buy from On the Stall City too yesterday). You folk living in Norfolk are extremely privileged. Amazing countryside, friendly people and beautiful architecture. I've felt like a 10 year old at times.

I may post a couple of things here over a post or two.

Today walked a section of The Angles Way (finishing at Brockdish). Saw a kingfisher, collected some sloes from a few blackthorn trees (after Googling how to make a sloe gin....having never tried it), and even some walnuts from 3 trees I came across. Also came across a Monk Bond brick wall which completed my day 😄 (which makes me a bit of a saddo I realise).

IMG_20211013_151158.jpg

IMG_20211013_151944.jpg

IMG_20211013_151640.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

Sloes are disgusting and I'm not very keen on gin but Sloe gin is very nice. Worth giving a try. 👍

(Or trick someone into eating a sloe and seeing their face.)

pucker face | i know youuuu | Pinterest

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sonyc said:

A very short break for me and Mrs S along the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Last minute break for first time in over 2 years. Loving being back and even a first visit in a decade to the Fine City (and a trip to buy from On the Stall City too yesterday). You folk living in Norfolk are extremely privileged. Amazing countryside, friendly people and beautiful architecture. I've felt like a 10 year old at times.

Today walked a section of The Angles Way (finishing at Brockdish). Saw a kingfisher, collected some sloes from a few blackthorn trees (after Googling how to make a sloe gin....having never tried it), and even some walnuts from 3 trees I came across. Also came across a Monk Bond brick wall which completed my day 😄 (which makes me a bit of a saddo I realise).

IMG_20211013_151158.jpg

IMG_20211013_151944.jpg

IMG_20211013_151640.jpg

Looks like a great day out. I recommend sticking your sloes in a freezer for a night as it is usually advised to pick the sloes after a frost. https://sipsmith.com/10-common-sloe-gin-myths-ignore/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

IMG_20211013_151158.jpg

IMG_20211013_151944.jpg

IMG_20211013_151640.jpg

We've done a couple of 10 mile stretches of the Angles way in the last few weeks (Scole to Harleston and Earsham to Beccles yesterday) it's an interesting walk for sure, and a nice part of the world. Wildlife was a bit scarce, but lots of buzzards and long tailed ti ts.

I had to look up Monks Bond 👍 glad you had a nice time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

We've done a couple of 10 mile stretches of the Angles way in the last few weeks (Scole to Harleston and Earsham to Beccles yesterday) it's an interesting walk for sure, and a nice part of the world. Wildlife was a bit scarce, but lots of buzzards and long tailed ti ts.

I had to look up Monks Bond 👍 glad you had a nice time

Certainly did. Took me back to being a young lad when my old dad took me to Peddars Way and I saw Yellowhammers, Partridges and a lot more for the first time. Always interested in birds. Saw Buzzards circling a lot and Wrens yesterday (in reeds)  but little else. 

Thanks to everyone about sloes. I've never tried them nor am I a gin drinker but Mrs S is going to try and make some (it apparently needs a year to soak?). Any other tips gratefully received🙂. Didn't know about Monks Bond either WOAS! Thought it was a form of English Garden Wall Bond which often shows how ancient a wall is (with rows of headers every 3 or 5 rows). This one (outside Needham Church) was just unusual. 

I love the architecture here too. So different to West Yorks of course (I've been up north since 1978). It makes me feel a bit homesick somehow.

I came across (my dad would say "acrost" 😅) a Spindle Tree too only because of the flowering (again had to look it up...see first photo) but also another which is something  I'd like to ask about.. what is this tree? Is it a really old Crack Willow or an Osier? Looked a willow for sure. Picture below.

IMG_20211013_141359.jpg

IMG_20211013_151359.jpg

Edited by sonyc

Sloe wine also very good but you do need a lot of sloe’s, we used to get bullaces which are larger but similar. Good advice about freezing first, saves a lot of work.

• Like 1

It's a willow of some sort. If the leaves are rounded it's probably a goat willow, if they are long and thin then it's one of the ones you suggest. 

• Like 1

I saw those trees yesterday and was curious what they were. There was also a nice crinkle crankle wall along the way, although with big bulges. Picked up what I think are buzzard feathers, but happy to be corrected. The big one is a foot long.

IMG_20211014_103217385.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/09/2020 at 19:17, SHRIMPER said:

Most of those huge flocks are a small waders called Knotts. They certainly put on a show. They wheel about like a Murmeration of Starlings coming in to roost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-49237885

9 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Some well needed good news:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/autumnwatch-to-return-to-wild-ken-hill-norfolk-8416460

BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season

Snettisham was what Shrimper was telling me about last year. Be great to see that again.👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Man fights to keep arctic fox as pet

If the fox has been raised since young  then it clearly can't be released into the wild

So what is best for it? The Zoo, or stay with the man who has raised it?

Without knowing more details, I'm inclined to say it should stay where it is 

I agree with you, would be awful if they were to be separated after all those years together.

Garden spider and victim in a virginia creeper. And a passion flower still producing copious flower heads

IMG_1553aa.jpg

IMG_1561a.jpg

IMG_1568a.jpg

• Like 2