Herman

Nature watch.

I’m very happy that a buzzard has taken up residence in a small wood directly opposite my house. I can sometimes see it flitting about in the trees from my front windows.

Also 2 days ago, 6 buzzards enjoying the thermals directly above my house.

I know they’re common these days, but they’re a favourite of mine.

Belton, Nr Yarmouth 

• Like 1

Magpies building in a tree at the front of the house, Blackbirds in a bush close to my rear window. This warm spell has kicked them into action.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 09:33, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I’m very happy that a buzzard has taken up residence in a small wood directly opposite my house. I can sometimes see it flitting about in the trees from my front windows.

Also 2 days ago, 6 buzzards enjoying the thermals directly above my house.

I know they’re common these days, but they’re a favourite of mine.

Belton, Nr Yarmouth 

Just saw the same thing at work. Two Kites were floating around and in the distance I could see a whole gang of Buzzards. Never get tired seeing them. 

• Like 1

Large flocks of Pink-footed Geese seen here on their way back up t'North and about 3 weeks or so before the Ospreys start returning from West Africa.

Apples

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 10:22, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Big swarm of earthquakes 😮

Earthquakes have been continuing for a week 

Now there are indications that a volcano eruption might be on its way 

It is unlikely to throw out loads of ash. Instead the lava would flow gently out and cover an area of a few  km2

That's what we have been told, anyway.... 

2 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Hi HIWEM, Is that the Grismvotn volcano? 

Apples

On 24/02/2021 at 13:14, Herman said:

Woodpeckers going at it too. Spring is nearly here.👍

I think they had borrowed some jack hammers this morning. 😮

On 03/03/2021 at 15:04, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Earthquakes have been continuing for a week 

It is unlikely to throw out loads of ash. Instead the lava would flow gently out and cover an area of a few  km2

That's what we have been told, anyway.... 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/iceland-volcano-eruption-under-way-in-fagradalsfjall-near-reykjavik

Do Icelandics get scared by this or is it water off a duck's back?

Edited by Herman

18 minutes ago, Herman said:

Wow

first I´ve read of this

apparently it happened late yesterday evening....I´d gone to bed!

It´s not exactly water off a ducks back as this is the first time this area has gone up since 1200 or something. Most people won´t be worried, but the people of Grindavík might be a little concerned as they are nearest

I´m off to  check local media...

Our bird table had seen better days so Mrs KG decided to get an all singing and dancing metal one. 

It took a couple of days for the birds to get used to it but now we have satisfied all those who visit.

Three ferral pigeons who we nicknamed Huey, Louie and Dewey, couldn't get on the old table but now have a platform to stand on and the ***** and finches can get to it. Our little Robin is getting tamer and tamer and is virtually taking the food from our palms.

And Mrs KG gave her horse a  good grooming so there is plenty of hair for the jackdaws to make their nest in the old disused chimney.

One magnificent Crow now visits us and he stands proud and aloof on our wall.

We have new neighbours who have two Staffies, so hopefully we have enough dogs in the area to persuade the badgers not to dig up our lawns.

• Like 1

A partridge wandered aimlessly into a greenhouse at work, strutted around for a while, then spooked itself and flew head first into a window. Bit depressing but they are really dumb creatures. 

My pond finally has life ! It has a solitary water beetle. My first thought was how it got there, and having googled, I’ve discovered they can fly. Hoping for a frog or two soon, I’m pretty confident they’re not far away 😁

• Like 1

The Earl and Countess of Leicester, who are friends with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have been working to protect the wading birds and seals which visit their grand estate in North Norfolk.

Holkham Hall, a stone's throw from Sandringham, boasts dramatic pine-fringed sandy beaches and is used as settings for movies including Shakespeare in Love.

It is also a haven for birdwatchers, who come to spy on the many red-listed birds which make the dunes their nest, and dogwalkers – including the Royals.

Prince Charles and Princess Anne have been pictured grinning in the sand dunes, flanked by Corgis, at the pristine beach, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were known to walk their black spaniel Lupo there regularly before he died earlier this year.

The Queen is said to spend New Year’s Eve at Holkham, and has a New Year’s Day picnic there too, which comprises bullshots (consomme laced with vodka) and roast pheasant. She has close ties with the family, which includes Lady Glenconner, who was a close friend of Princess Margaret and served as maid-of-honour at the Queen's coronation.

The jewel of Holkham is its four-mile long beach, often voted the finest in the UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were known to walk their dog along the beach CREDIT:  Bauer-Griffin

Director of Holkham Nature Reserve Jake Fiennes, who is tasked with returning the grounds to nature and protecting rare animals, noticed that during lockdown last year many chicks thrived as fewer dogs disturbed nests.

He told The Telegraph: "In lockdown, we saw effectively visitor numbers disappear overnight. We did see nature start to frequent places it wouldn't ordinarily because there were people there.

"Areas with a lot of people traffic, birds started to nest in, and if we look at the whole process until lockdown was lifted late June, we saw successes in birds that historically have not done well, ringed plovers had their most successful years for decades."

However, once lockdown lifted, he watched in horror as off-lead dogs rampaged over the nests.

Mr Fiennes said: "We saw the little terns come and nest in April and then we had high tides and they did it again in May. They attempted for a third time when lockdown was restricted, we had 22 little terns within the tern cordon – those within 48 hours they had gone from 22 to one. That is because of the huge release of people and dogs wanting to come out of being in lockdown."

Lord Leicester is working to protect the wading birds and seals which visit his grand estate in North Norfolk CREDIT:  Tony Buckingham

Now, dogs will be banned from a large part of the beach at Wells-Next-The-Sea in order to protect seals which lie there year-round, and on sections of Holkham Beach near the nests, owners will be required to put their animals on leads during breeding season.

The rules will apply to everyone – even the Royal family, Mr Fiennes explained, adding: "I am aware that members of the Royal family do frequent the beach with their dogs

"Yes there are royals, yes there are celebrities, and yes there are those well known in society. The great and the good visit Holkham beach – it is a great place for everyone to enjoy. Dogs are warmly welcomed, and there was overwhelming agreement from owners with the new rules."

Sat and watched a  Buzzard being seen off by a solitary crow yesterday....not exactly mobbed, but seen off , nonetheless. 

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sat and watched a  Buzzard being seen off by a solitary crow yesterday....not exactly mobbed, but seen off , nonetheless. 

How is the pond/lake you built coming along?

Lovely fly past by Canada Geese on the golf course today. They seem to be attracted to courses in the area that have lakes and ponds.

We always get a couple of swallows in April so waiting for them. They seem to like our 1st fairway. Obviously didn't get to see them last year so fingers crossed.

And our Stoat will be out and about after baby rabbits.

Deer are becoming a pest and are doing a lot of damage. And with restaurants shut, no-one is shooting them so they are getting out of control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

How is the pond/lake you built coming along?

I've done  nothing  to it since last photo Hermano, the ground here has been very wet and the next stage is to spread  topsoil  around. Seems to be drying up now, so may be able to get back on it in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

Hedgehogs reappeared about 10 days ago. Love watching them. Got a cheap trail camera set up at night where I put food out . Didn’t get any hoglets last year , fingers crossed for this year. 
Also newts active again in the pond. Until about 5 years ago never would get newts , just frogs . Now it’s the other way round. 
My favourite event of the year is when the Swift’s return. Have a few pairs that nest under my pantiles. I find it a marvel how they swoop in at such breakneck speed. In fact I think every thing about them is incredible.  I spend hours in the summer watching them in the sky and screaming round the house and garden. Great therapy if you need it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pockthorpe said:

Have a few pairs that nest under my pantiles.

Did anyone else think that pockthorpe had a nest of swifts in his panties ? 😉

• Haha 1