Sign in to follow this  
Aggy

Test match

8 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Fantastic by Broady this morning, up to 497 wickets now. Could we see him wrap up a series victory with his 500th on Tuesday? That'd be some story!

Jimmy only 11 away from 600 too... would expect him to get there this summer for sure.

Broad on 499 tonight 

Good idea to drop him for the first test, it has  fired him up, he even got some runs 😀

31 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Broad on 499 tonight 

Good idea to drop him for the first test, it has  fired him up, he even got some runs 😀

I thought it was bonkers to leave him out at the time, but the rotation of bowlers has really worked well. I wonder if Root would have had the balls to leave him out, or whether Stokes discussed it with Rooty before he went on family leave? We need to start preparing for life without Jimmy and Broady, and I doubt Jimmy will make it to the next Ashes series anyway. Plenty of quality available: Stokes, Woakes, Curran, Archer, Wood, Stone, Mahmood, maybe even Overton at a push.

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I thought it was bonkers to leave him out at the time, but the rotation of bowlers has really worked well. I wonder if Root would have had the balls to leave him out, or whether Stokes discussed it with Rooty before he went on family leave? We need to start preparing for life without Jimmy and Broady, and I doubt Jimmy will make it to the next Ashes series anyway. Plenty of quality available: Stokes, Woakes, Curran, Archer, Wood, Stone, Mahmood, maybe even Overton at a push.

I heard something with Broad getting a bit pissed off that he's always chucked in with Anderson- Jimmy is 37, Broad is 34 so there should be a couple of years with just Broad.

We should take advantage of the depth and rotate properly for the next couple of years- Archer needs nurturing and Wood has a history of injuries. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I heard something with Broad getting a bit pissed off that he's always chucked in with Anderson- Jimmy is 37, Broad is 34 so there should be a couple of years with just Broad.

We should take advantage of the depth and rotate properly for the next couple of years- Archer needs nurturing and Wood has a history of injuries. 

Archer for me needs to become more consistent and “boring” at test level. Lack of maidens in both of the tests he’s bowled in so far - economy rate not great this test either, although better in the first test. Even with an economy rate of 2-3 though, without maidens I think you’re happy with that as a batsman against Archer. If he strings a couple of maidens together you feel the pressure a lot more - you don’t get off strike. Also means he can bowl a plan at a batsman - six balls rather than or or two then having to bowl at someone else.

Curran looks a good long term option as well. 

Tricky isn’t it.

Strauss said on the after match commentary yesterday that, in the really important games, at the moment you still want Anderson and Broad together and you can’t really argue with that. 

I think Archer can be added to those two as a shoe in for the big games (although at test level I don’t think he’s as effective yet as he is in one day games). For the Pakistan games it also depends whether Stokes can bowl. We go back to the rose bowl for second and third tests where they didn’t play Broad previously...

My guess for Pakistan series - 1st test - Broad, Woakes, Archer and maybe Curran as well if Stokes can’t bowl too much.

Second test - Wood, Anderson, Curran, maybe Woakes or Archer if Stokes can’t bowl.

Third test - Broad, Anderson, plus whoever bowled best in previous two tests.

That’s assuming we go with four and one spinner. 

Will not see the start of the one day match today but hope to catch it later on. Will be nice to see some faces from our winning team again. One or two resting up for our next full test though.

Both sides were shaky but to be expected after such a long lay off. Nice to see Morgan finish it off with a six. I think he is a captain to be greatly admired.

Not doing so well in this match. Had high hopes for Burns but he's very hit and miss at the moment. Need Pope to get a big score as I dont see Buttler digging in.

Riviting test throughout. Thought we had blown it at 117 for 5  but what a fightback by Buttler and Woakes.

Lets hope test 2 will be as good.

The Crowd. To tell you the truth as much as I love cricket the incessant chanting of the barmy army is a bit wearing after an hour or two. I only go to Trent Bridge now for the Ashes tours because for me that is a war...just the type of cricket I love. I always get as far away from the BA as I can. Same with the singing of god save the queen over and over again is a mystery to me as to why they do it. Looks like I am an old curmudgeon but I am not. This day I will be at a local match where there will no doubt just myself and Mrs Shrimp on the boundery along with some other bloke and a dog watching the game and listening to the sound of leather on willow..heaven.

What a wonderful afternoon, sat in the garden listening to test match special - and at 117-5 thinking it was all over, then to have that faint hope become a reality - ooh so slowly though

I agree with the noise, and the BA are ok in very small doses, especially when they are not in the same ground either

Yesterday was slightly marred by the constant parrot like screeching of the Pakistani out field

And yes it is a far better time sat on the boundary watching a local game - played at East Runton one evening a few years back in a sort of 20/20 game..... b'stard when the ball gets hit down the slope toward the road.

Still, two of us did win the quiz in the pub afterwards 😋

Edited by Bill

With a silent ground you hear the players a lot more. All teams sledge and incourage but in normal times the crowd blocks it out. One of my favorite places to play was Burnham Mkt. We used to go to a pub called The Rose and Crown I think but not sure of that as it was a long time ago that put on the best after match spread you could ask for. When they played the return at ours they were lucky to get a cheese and onion sarnie that was turning up at the edges.🙂

• Like 1

I well remember games on our local rec Sunday afternoons when I was a nipper. And I know there used to be an annual game against those who were evacuees in the village during the war - with others no doubt.

Most villages have become 'deserted' with cottages, and even former council houses now occupied by the retired from outside of the area.  All of whom have a wonderfully creative way of naming every dwelling as 'something' cottage.

I believe what was once Stiffkey football pitch is now Stiffkey Cricket Club where Hugo and Tarquinn can act out their Enid Blyton style fantasy

Perhaps they could hire some fat old copper to wander along, pushing his bike to mutter 'ere ere, wuss goin on ere then ?'

I just don't get it.

They massive floodlights at Test Grounds now. And if they are not good enough to be able to provide enough light to play then they put the wrong ones in.

Pundits keep asking why the interest in Test Cricket is waning and there is one particular reason among other. The fact that it is expensive (to cover the loss of income because no-one goes to County Cricket) and you are not guaranteed a full days play because of the light etc.

I thought they had got over this but obviously not. Why don't they use a white ball if its dark? All we keep hearing is excuses. No wonder T20 is so successful. The purists don't like it but tough titty. It is exciting and continuous. And the floodlights are good enough then.

This latest episode has probably lost a few more spectators who in the end just won't be bothered. Yesterday, they started late and went off for lunch when the sun was shining!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

What a lovely innings from Crawley- would be lovely to have a proper number 3 set in place.

And a much needed one, and with Buttler sounding solid we will hopedully lose no more wickets this evening

get past 250 and I will relax .... a bit

s50 up

what a recovery, and partnership by these two 125

as much as when they started

I would not mind if Zac Crawley went on to surpass Graham Gooch's 333. Great cricketer but not one of my favorites.

On 21/08/2020 at 16:17, Bill said:

And a much needed one, and with Buttler sounding solid we will hopedully lose no more wickets this evening

get past 250 and I will relax .... a bit

might be rime to relax, methinks 😚

incredible knock from both Crawly and Buttler

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Well, we cursed that. Only 267 in the end.😀

As sure as eggs be eggs 🙂

7 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

3 late wickets for Jimmy

He should hit 600 during this test.👍

5 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

I would not mind if Zac Crawley went on to surpass Graham Gooch's 333. Great cricketer but not one of my favorites.

Looking at how Crawley plays you can see how he will go on and make other large scores. Has the physical size to dominate the ball and he plays freely. Refreshing to watch.