Sign in to follow this  
Aggy

Test match

Anyone been watching it? Less weird than football is without the crowd noise, but still weird not to hear the ripple of applause after a glorious cover drive. I normally have it on in the background during the day - miss the cue from the crowd as to when to look up!

I have been listening to the commentary on guerrilla cricket today 

It has been a great game so far  England behind on first innings, then looking like favourites, or at least securing a draw, before the inevitable collapse late on 

Hopefully we can get another 30 tomorrow morning, and it could be a great finish 

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I have been listening to the commentary on guerrilla cricket today 

It has been a great game so far  England behind on first innings, then looking like favourites, or at least securing a draw, before the inevitable collapse late on 

Hopefully we can get another 30 tomorrow morning, and it could be a great finish 

Yes agreed. Should be a decent finish tomorrow one way or another, as long as the rain stays away,

Have to say I’d have gone with Broad ahead of either Wood or Archer. 5 maidens combined between both of them in a combined 44 overs in the WI first innings shows the problem with going with both - they haven’t quite got the discipline to build the necessary pressure. They weren’t expensive, but they always seem to throw in a ball or two that just releases the pressure gauge. Not so much of an issue if you go with one of them as a strike pace short ball option, but both makes it a bit too easy imo. Stokes got 5 maidens in 14, Anderson 11 in 25, even Bess got 5 in 19. 

Edited by Aggy

With no crowd I even miss the batsmen telling some idiot to get out of the line of the sight screen and sit down. Still good to see some action though. It reminds me of playing many years ago when maybe an old boy and a dog would be sitting watching us play and solitary clap if someone hit a boundary.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

200 to win. That is still a decent total to get in the fourth innings on the last day.

maybe not, with two early wickets lost

set up for a cracking final two sessions 🤗

I think one of the bbc stats I heard (possibly after the event) was that the West Indies have never lost a game when chasing under 200 in the fourth innings, so probably not a surprise they knocked off bang on 200. Good test. Hopefully the next two will match up.

Didn’t get to see any today, will watch the highlights later. Looks well balanced as you say at the end of day 1.

Archer a bit of a wally and missing out due to breaking the cricket covid rules. Didn’t break the actual law or guides, just the cricket-imposed ones as I understand it.

Good to see us not collapse after a few wickets.

He’ s a silly boy but hopefully will learn from the experience. I can’t see him playing in the final test now either.

When you consider what the Windies have gone through to get here and play the series it was pretty selfish of him to nip off home.

20 minutes ago, Van wink said:

When you consider what the Windies have gone through to get here and play the series it was pretty selfish of him to nip off home.

Absolutely 

I'm looking forward to listening to the test at the weekend. Work prevents that during the week, though I'm grateful to be working 🙂

Excellent recovery and Sibley's innings so far has been excellent given the pressure. Perhaps, for what has seemed quite a while, indeed since Cook, England have a solid opener. I'm still to be convinced about Burns.

Bad timing by Jofra Archer and won't do his test career much good in the short term. As a Sussex fan (don't ask) I was disappointed in him. Yet, he has something unusual about him that can change games that we need. His time may indeed come. Broad will feel he something to prove so I look forward to that.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Dom Sibley playing a classic test match innings, you love to see it.

Watch him get out now I've said that.

Still going! Both him and Stokes now building nicely

Sibley gorn, as England look to push up the run rate

Plodding along at the earlier rate was taking the match to a draw

Currently 341 - 4

Sibley 120, Stokes a magnificent 155

We need to be 455 by stumps, or  a couple of wickets off the W1 if out earlier

Last day looking promising. I hope Joe Root doesn't go on for too long 

Bat 8 overs  hopefully get another 40 runs, and have 88 overs at the Windies, which gives us a second new ball 

I might take the afternoon off tomorrow 🤗

should be a higher run total that although it does offer up the 'dangling carrot'

cracking  spell after the new ball today, which suggests the pitch will not favour the batting side tomorrow

TMS is worth it if you cannot watch

perfect sun all day, well set up for a final day

Not too much point in batting too long - a draw and we can’t win the series anyway so may as well go in for a penny in for a pound and just try to skittle them.

There used to be an umpire on here many years ago on the original forum that went under many names but the last one was TWERP. Our member NEVERMIND will remember him. I would love to know what he thinks of out test team these days. He used to have some harsh words for test teams in the past.  Myself I think we have a good crew to select from.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Not too much point in batting too long - a draw and we can’t win the series anyway so may as well go in for a penny in for a pound and just try to skittle them.

Dangle the carrot

Though I suspect the Windies will want to bat out for the draw

Let's hope it is not settled before tea, and it goes into the final hour

Smash them around for a few overs then declare, could be an exciting final day. Basically got to treat it like a 20/20 innings this morning.

There is a chance. Need a couple of wickets in the next 50 minutes.

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Great win today, glad I took half a day off work to listen 

Series set up for Friday, but apparently the long term weather forecast isn't good 

It’s Manchester, the long term weather forecast is never good!

Cornwall on for his first over, was hoping to see pace 😀but more of an off break.
A game for all shapes and sizes, good to see👍

Edited by Van wink

21 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Cornwall on for his first over, was hoping to see pace 😀but more of an off break.
A game for all shapes and sizes, good to see👍

Yes, looks like Denzel has had a few pasties though🍔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes, looks like Denzel has had a few pasties though🍔

That was one hell of a catch for a pasty, dont think he could get out of the way......but seriously great catch.

Fantastic by Broady this morning, up to 497 wickets now. Could we see him wrap up a series victory with his 500th on Tuesday? That'd be some story!

Jimmy only 11 away from 600 too... would expect him to get there this summer for sure.