On 11/07/2020 at 21:21, Highland Canary said:

Southampton have had successive billionaire owners permitting not only higher wages, which empirically is causally linked to PL success, but also purchasing power in the transfer market.

And we cannot attract one 😂

35 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Looks like even after Sunday's escapades that the current bottom three will all go down. Villa with Arsenal and West Ham left to play.

image.png.fefca10fdda3fc4d118b326ce4065870.png

If West Ham and Watford draw tomorrow then Villa or Bournemouth would need to take six points from last two games. Seems unlikely looking at the fixtures.

• Like 1

If Watford lose at West Ham, then they could lose their last 2 games Man City (h) Arsenal (A). That could, depending on goal difference, mean that Villa 'only' have to win at West Ham to stay up

From a football perspective I hope Villa beat Arsenal and Watford beat West Ham and take it to a relegation play-off on the final day.

Yes but they’re going to have to win by 5 clear goals if it’s the same gd as it stands.

Just now, Indy said:

Yes but they’re going to have to win by 5 clear goals if it’s the same gd as it stands.

If Watford ship a load in their 3 (losing)  games  the gd won't be the same. If it was then Watford would have secured points

59 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

And we cannot attract one 😂

I thought we did but they were just the shy, retiring type billionaires that get seen off at the door?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If Watford ship a load in their 3 (losing)  games  the gd won't be the same. If it was then Watford would have secured points

No but if West Ham beat Watford then it won’t be a direct decider, the point being if West Ham lose to Watford and stay only three pints above Villa, the last game would be a playoff type game!

6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I thought we did but they were just the shy, retiring type billionaires that get seen off at the door?

They don’t even get to the door as it has NOT FOR SALE! 😉

• Haha 1

West Ham v Watford to morrow night - which could see one of them clear, barring a huge drop in goal average

With WHU v Villa on the last day - possibly being a 'game of death'

in the meantime

B'mouth have S'ton and Everton

WHU v Man Utd

Villa v Arsenal

Watford v Man City & Arsenal

so I can't see many points there for those on death row

https://www.theguardian.com/football/premierleague/table

1 minute ago, Bill said:

West Ham v Watford to morrow night - which could see one of them clear, barring a huge drop in goal average

With WHU v Villa on the last day - possibly being a 'game of death'

in the meantime

B'mouth have S'ton and Everton

WHU v Man Utd

Villa v Arsenal

Watford v Man City & Arsenal

so I can't see many points there for those on death row

https://www.theguardian.com/football/premierleague/table

I hate say it, but I cane see Villa staying up on goal difference! I really hope Watford beat West Ham or even a draw!

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If Watford lose at West Ham, then they could lose their last 2 games Man City (h) Arsenal (A). That could, depending on goal difference, mean that Villa 'only' have to win at West Ham to stay up

Not if Bournemouth win their last game, then Villa and Watford would come down.

42 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

...and too shy to rile up the local media 😝

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

No but if West Ham beat Watford then it won’t be a direct decider, the point being if West Ham lose to Watford and stay only three pints above Villa, the last game would be a playoff type game!

So where does the 5 goal winning margin come into play then? There is a 12 goal difference between West Ham and Villa, unless you think Watford will beat West Ham by two goals or more? Then does it come down to goals scored if the gd is the same?

45 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Not if Bournemouth win their last game, then Villa and Watford would come down.

I was just presuming Bournemouth are down (even though their fixtures could garner points). That freak 2nd half vs Leicester could  be the difference

1 hour ago, Indy said:

This is a problem. Perhaps some of you could take it in turns to stand on the corner and help these poor souls to the door and stand with them, shoulder to shoulder, until the door is opened, then give them a gentle shove across the threshold 🙃

7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Nooooo you can’t say that on here! You get shot down and hit with a load of (un)true facts about Delia

7 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So where does the 5 goal winning margin come into play then? There is a 12 goal difference between West Ham and Villa, unless you think Watford will beat West Ham by two goals or more? Then does it come down to goals scored if the gd is the same?

Exactly that, Watford would need to win so gd would come down, 5 or 6 goals will be needed, but that depends on loss margins.

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is a problem. Perhaps some of you could take it in turns to stand on the corner and help these poor souls to the door and stand with them, shoulder to shoulder, until the door is opened, then give them a gentle shove across the threshold 🙃

Wow really, sense of humour needed......was just having a laugh, wasn’t being serious!👍

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Nooooo you can’t say that on here! You get shot down and hit with a load of (un)true facts about Delia

Uhhhh

If Villa go down, do their previous FPP problems in the Championship come back to bite them ?

I can't be bothered to work it out but is there still a chance villa and West ham could come down? That would be my dream scenario!

I’m hoping for a draw between Watford v West Ham tonight and then the Gunners to shoot the Villains down for us next Tuesday 😉

Both Watford and West Ham would be very strong teams in the Championship. I feel Villa and Bournemouth would meltdown if relegated 

14 hours ago, Indy said:

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

5 hours ago, Indy said:

Wow really, sense of humour needed......was just having a laugh, wasn’t being serious!👍

Think it bypassed you buddy.

Like I really meant you stand on the corner?

BTW if you do, the Barclay/Main Stand corner is the coldest place in Norwich so be sure to put on your winter vest and an extra jumper 🙃

On 11/07/2020 at 21:21, Highland Canary said:

Southampton have had successive billionaire owners permitting not only higher wages, which empirically is causally linked to PL success, but also purchasing power in the transfer market.

Southampton have made profits for several years (6 out of 7 from memory). The higher wages are paid for by player sales not owners contributions - Southampton FC subsidise the billionaire owner, not the other way round!

Looking at the accounts below they made profits on player sales of £111 million in the two seasons mentioned. Wages to turnover 62% and 74%.

Edited by Badger
Added extra information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Southampton have benefited from having a really good youth set up

I would suggest this is the direction we are heading, with the ability to sig promising young players who are a bit further along in their development... as with Maddison and Buendia

Shame some still seem unable to grasp what the club is working towards

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Southampton have benefited from having a really good youth set up

I would suggest this is the direction we are heading, with the ability to sig promising young players who are a bit further along in their development... as with Maddison and Buendia

Shame some still seem unable to grasp what the club is working towards

Yep.

Then you have the other end of the scale, Villa, who's best player is their homegrown lad - but lost over £110m (officially) last year, and spent money hand over fist trying to buy a place in the PL. it's failed and as per the thread title they are in the doo doo in more ways than one. Best thing about this season as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1