So are we back to discussing the two teams that we want to accompany us in the drop?

Based upon their perceived strength next season, that is. 

For me it's Bournemouth and Villa.

Bournemouth because, despite big money, are small and have had their 'Seasons in the Sun,' for now. Small town losers.

Villa because I do not rate their manager, they will probably sell Grealish and they seem to be stuffed with Naismiths, under performing, expensive players on big money, who would drain them financially and would  likely not be incentivised sufficiently enough to cope with the rigours of the Chumps. Big time Charlies.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Villa’s remaining fixtures are Palace (h), Everton (a), Arsenal (h), and West Ham (a). They currently have to win a minimum of 2 to stand any chance of survival, 2 more defeats would guarantee relegation, and if West Ham and Watford both get 3 pts out of their remaining 9 available they would have to go through those fixtures unbeaten, winning at least 3 of them.

To make matters worse for them, West Ham and Watford play each other next Friday, and you’re guaranteed that at least one side will get something out of the game. Watford’s fixtures after that are quite tough though  - Man City (h) and Arsenal (a).

Villa might just scrape survival, but I think we’ll have to wait and see how the table looks after they’ve played Everton on Thursday

Am desperate for them to join us though, as I don’t think they deserve to stay up regarding the amount they spent on players in comparison to their league position. Not bothered who else comes along with them though 

Edited by HazzaJet

Villa have probably got the **** ache with us now but they would do well to remember we gave them their fair share of points. 

That included a 5-1 drubbing so there can't be too many complaints. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

25 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Villa have the financial backing to manage the transition between divisions without the perennial need for a firesale.

Cannot believe that would have been part of their project though..........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

9 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Villa have the financial backing to manage the transition between divisions without the perennial need for a firesale.

I like how people continue to ignore the fact that Norwich are now perfectly fine financially and are don't need to sell players.

Players will move because that what happens in football but it sure as hell won't be a 'fire sale'.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I like how people continue to ignore the fact that Norwich are now perfectly fine financially and are don't need to sell players.

Players will move because that what happens in football but it sure as hell won't be a 'fire sale'.

Don't let facts get in the way of an opportunity to hit your own club with a stick, KS. Especially when it needs your patience and support more than ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highland Canary said:

That's exactly what was said last time they sent down. 

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

That's exactly what was said last time they sent down. 

Yep it doesn’t matter what clout you have, if the players want out like some say about ours then they’re in the ****e the same as the rest.

As mentioned I think they ave more players who think they should be playing top flight football and could well be a totally different 11 come next season start.

In fairness it could be argued that villa have the financial backing to have established themselves at this level. That hasn’t panned out and I see nothing other than a transition season for them next season, trying to offload expensive failures and balance the books 

Villa are in the s*it with FFP.

Sorry it doesn't fit your anti-Norwich agenda but there we are

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

For how long are Norwich secure?

10 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

For how long are Norwich secure?

For as long as the current owners refuse to risk our future by spending beyond our means.

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

For as long as the current owners refuse to risk our future by spending beyond our means.

So you are telling me we won’t be selling players to balance the books, If we become stuck in the championship?

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

So you are telling me we won’t be selling players to balance the books, If we become stuck in the championship?

How do you work that out? That's nothing at all like what I was saying.

It is part of being a self-financing club that you have to sell players to balance the books. Southampton have done pretty well out of doing just that, for example.

All I'm saying is that the board won't risk our financial stability by overspending.

1 minute ago, Highland Canary said:

I’m not sure that Southampton is a good comparator.

Would you care to explain why, so we can have a discussion about it?

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Fixed.

I'm not disputing that the current owners want to retain control. I quoted earlier from the interview with Gary Neville where Delia said she wanted to carry on 'forever' (obviously with tongue in cheek).

Can you not accept that it's pretty good that we have no internal or external debt, and probably around £100m of playing assets through our Academy?

Southampton have had successive billionaire owners permitting not only higher wages, which empirically is causally linked to PL success, but also purchasing power in the transfer market.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Would you care to explain why, so we can have a discussion about it?

Probably because Southampton have been bankrolled by a succession of billionaires

1 minute ago, Highland Canary said:

Southampton have had successive billionaire owners permitting not only higher wages, which empirically is causally linked to PL success, but also purchasing power in the transfer market.

Yes, you’ll do well to find a team that’s equally comparable to what we are try to achieve here. I think the majority of fans were so impressed with Webber’s dealings at championship level that we were excited to see what he could achieve at this level with a decent budget. I was under the impression that the so called model was to buy young players and nurture them to sell at significant profit. Like many I was expecting to see some exciting transfers this season in the several millions of pounds bracket that we could nurture and sell on for serious money, like what Southampton have done. Unfortunately for us the purchasing power as you say wasn’t there

Southampton have spent the best part of the last decade being able to regularly buy £15-20m players. It really is a skewed comparison.

10 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Okay, good point well made.

But before the billionaires, they built it up slowly by producing lots of outstanding youth players that they sold on for huge fees (Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Bale, Shaw, Chambers). I think that aspect of their club is something we aspire to, but in hindsight it probably wasn't the best comparison.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Okay, good point well made.

But before the billionaires, they built it up slowly by producing lots of outstanding youth players that they sold on for huge fees (Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Bale, Shaw, Chambers). I think that aspect of their club is something we aspire to, but in hindsight it probably wasn't the best comparison.

Only a few of those were on the scene before the money came in, and Southampton really weren't going anywhere fast at those times. Selling Walcott and Bale didn't help elevate the club.

Looks like even after Sunday's escapades that the current bottom three will all go down. Villa with Arsenal and West Ham left to play.

image.png.fefca10fdda3fc4d118b326ce4065870.png

On 11/07/2020 at 21:09, Feedthewolf said:

How do you work that out? That's nothing at all like what I was saying.

It is part of being a self-financing club that you have to sell players to balance the books. Southampton have done pretty well out of doing just that, for example.

All I'm saying is that the board won't risk our financial stability by overspending.

I’d love us to do a Southampton, they do sell but will give a decent portion of the money to invest in new players. Guess we will see depending on who leaves very soon.