Sign in to follow this  
City fan

Disgusting

Anyone who just watched the Bournemouth Spurs game would have seen everything that is wrong with the premier****e. Bournemouth had a perfect goal disallowed as the ref pulled the game back to award Bournemouth a free kick. Fecking joke. 

It wasn't for offside, the ref gave the free kick. For the tackle on a Bournemouth player. Shocking. Watch it, you will see the ref took it back to the point of the tackle. 

On the other hand VAR did not give a stonewall penalty to Spurs in the first half. Media and ex -footballers watching stated it was clear and obvious (a two handed push on Kane). But Oliver, the VAR official saw nothing wrong. Ridiculous. Perhaps the ref was trying to revert a 'wrong'?

Edited by sonyc

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Haven’t seen it, but if the Bournemouth player crossing it was offside, bringing play back for the free kick was correct.

That is correct, No advantage accrued.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Haven’t seen it, but if the Bournemouth player crossing it was offside, bringing play back for the free kick was correct.

6 minutes ago, Pugin said:

That is correct, No advantage accrued.

Not seen it, but the OP says the free kick was for Bournemouth. How is a goal not an advantage?

Don't get worked up about it guys as it will be of no concern to us next season thank goodness.

The goal was correctly ruled out for handball, which meant no advantage was gained and the play brought back for the Bournemouth free kick. Absolutely superb refereeing. 

However Oliver not advising the ref to award a penalty for Spurs was a shocker. 

And in this evening's match the Man Utd penalty given shouldn't have been!

Hope VAR is not brought into the Championship

• Like 2

Just now, sonyc said:

And in this evening's match the Man Utd penalty given shouldn't have been!

Hope VAR is not brought into the Championship

The United penalty was actually a foul on the Villa defender, shocking. 

I hope and pray its not brought into the Championship, totally killing the game 

• Like 1

Come on chaps, from the start of the EPL we have been told the game is too important to be left to the referee.  We have the technology so why don't we use it. A bad decision could relegate a team and cost them millions.

It will bring football into the 21st century and stop the big teams always getting the decisions.

Well the technology could just have relegated Villa. Even without crowd pressure they can't get it right.

I said some months ago that all VAR would do is transfer the decision making from an idiot on the pitch to another idiot off the pitch. The decisions tonight were shockingly bad. If VAR so consistently gets it wrong I don't see what point it has. It does seem to favour the bigger teams most of the time so has done nothing to create the level playing field - but it's not the technology which is to blame, it's the numpties looking at the screens.

If they keep it,  I agree with Dion on MOTD tonight - they need to use ex-players to help them; referees have always been very easy to fool when they haven't played the game to any standard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I said some months ago that all VAR would do is transfer the decision making from an idiot on the pitch to another idiot off the pitch. The decisions tonight were shockingly bad. If VAR so consistently gets it wrong I don't see what point it has. It does seem to favour the bigger teams most of the time so has done nothing to create the level playing field - but it's not the technology which is to blame, it's the numpties looking at the screens.

If they keep it,  I agree with Dion on MOTD tonight - they need to use ex-players to help them; referees have always been very easy to fool when they haven't played the game to any standard.

Decent idea

can you imagine any two people agreeing, though... the debate will rage on & on in the VAR studio! And the delay feels bad now!

Even pundit ex-players will disagree amongst themselves on a given incident. Even with endless slow-mo from different angles. Comes down to gut feeling / bias which vary between individuals.

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Decent idea

can you imagine any two people agreeing, though... the debate will rage on & on in the VAR studio! And the delay feels bad now!

Even pundit ex-players will disagree amongst themselves on a given incident. Even with endless slow-mo from different angles. Comes down to gut feeling / bias which vary between individuals.

Yes, fair point about the potential delay, but still better than getting such crucial decisions wrong - whilst we can assume Villa would still have lost the game yesterday that first goal was critical and it then influences the response. We all know what it feels like when VAR gets it wrong.

I confess I hate it - I hated the original concept of it and I still hate it because it does nothing we didn't already have apart from add someone else's opinion. I would rather it was just available to the referee to look at a pitch side screen so he could re-look at anything remotely controversial. I'd rather every decision rested exclusively with the referee who is supposed to be in charge.

38 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Yes, fair point about the potential delay, but still better than getting such crucial decisions wrong - whilst we can assume Villa would still have lost the game yesterday that first goal was critical and it then influences the response. We all know what it feels like when VAR gets it wrong.

I confess I hate it - I hated the original concept of it and I still hate it because it does nothing we didn't already have apart from add someone else's opinion. I would rather it was just available to the referee to look at a pitch side screen so he could re-look at anything remotely controversial. I'd rather every decision rested exclusively with the referee who is supposed to be in charge.

To be fair to FIFA, that's what they envisaged too. It was the FA who decided to go a different route and meant we ended up with the farcical system we've experiences this season. With FIFA taking over again and mandating that referees should be told to go over and review the monitor I'm hoping this will see an improvement, at least the guy in the stadium with a feel for the game can review the incident and decide whether to change his decision, rather than some faceless person in a control room somewhere. It will also give the fans more indication of what's going on, as they won't need to wait for a message on the screens if the ref just jogs over to the monitor.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I see anything that introduces a delay which stops play as attempt to shoehorn in a slot for advertising. Ditto drinks breaks.

• Like 1

Keep american  broadcasting ideas out of English football. Surely we can manage 45 mins without some company trying to sell us something we dont need. If we needed  it , it would already be at the forefront of our  minds to get/buy it.  Wont watch american football  for exactly this reason. 

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I see anything that introduces a delay which stops play as attempt to shoehorn in a slot for advertising. Ditto drinks breaks.

Spot on. We need to resist it. 

18 hours ago, City fan said:

Anyone who just watched the Bournemouth Spurs game would have seen everything that is wrong with the premier****e. Bournemouth had a perfect goal disallowed as the ref pulled the game back to award Bournemouth a free kick. Fecking joke. 

Ref was spot on, the player was offside. So if he played the advantage the goal is disallowed for offside. So instead he bought play back for a free kick as the foul happened before the offside.