Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Funny Money, Silly Season

Sheffield United feel they can attract Todd Cantwell for £10 million and £40k per week.

We feel we can offload a 6 foot nothing centre half Ben Godfrey for £50 million when 6 foot 2 is fairly standard with some being 6 foot 5 or thereabouts.

If we want a Romanian striker £10 million upwards is apparently the price.

What is reality? I am guessing around £20 million each is the average kind of price we can get for Cantwell, Godfrey, Buendia, Aaron's and Lewis.

Do we sell them all? As soon as 1 or 2 go do the rest become restless? As a local lad and perhaps the best of the crop do we perhaps make Todd an exception to our wage structure and tempt him to stay? 

What would we do with the monies received? My guess is hold some back to cover Covid losses and effectively create a further fund in case we don't get promoted under parachute. 

If we sell 4 or 5 at these prices we should still have enough money for Man if we really want him not to mention a quality tall Centre Half.

We need to make the choices somewhere to complement the recruits we have already made and the quality that will hopefully remain like Krul, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Hernandez etc.

Although risky we should be trying to get most if not all of our signings in before we sell anyone then try and drag out negotiations for the players we sell until really late on, that way clubs won't assume we're flush with cash and we can hopefully attract a few desperate bids for our players. Much easier said than done of course but I think we can approach this window safe in the knowledge that at some point big bids will come in for some of our younger players and we can afford to risk holding onto them until late in the window. 

I'm not really sure what Godfrey's height has to do with anything.

Fabio Cannavaro was the World Cup winning captain in 2006. He's 5'9".

Carles Puyol and Sergio Ramos, 2010 World Cup winners, two of the most decorated centre backs of all time, and two of the greatest of their generation are 5'10" and 6' respectively.

If you're good enough, you're tall enough.