Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Just for the record

Yes, I know it isn't going to happen, but even if we pick up enough points to get above Bn'mth, it will give some satisfaction. 

Games to play -

Watford fixtures  -  Newcastle home, West Ham away, Man City home, Arsenal away

On 31 points - I'll give them one point against Newcastle. 

32 total.

Villa fixtures - Crystal Palace home, Everton away, Arsenal home, West Ham away. Maybe three points against Crystal Palace

30 points total

Bournmouth fixtures - Leicester home, Man City away, Southampton home, Everton away.

No easy ones there, maybe not even one point

27 points total

Norwich - West Ham home, Chelsea away, Burnley home, Man City away.

Beat West Ham, Burnley, Chelsea, Man City

33 total

Positions end of season -

17. Norwich            33

--------------------------------------

18. Watford             32

19. Villa                   30

20. Bournemouth   27

Or, we show the same performance we have in the rest of the games since lockdown lose 2-0 to the spammers and are relegation is confirmed, I like your optimism Lakey but I know which one I would bet on 😂

2 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I'll have a cup of what you're drinking please.... Although can you imagine the socially distanced scenes 🥳............... 🥳............... 🥳............. 

'Been watching City v Newcastle, then Brighton v Liverpool. Now off to bed, up at 5 for work. Enjoy the rest of your evenings'

What happened, couldn't you get the lorry started - or was the A11 too busy ?.............🤭

ps I shall avoid suggesting how you can manually start a lorry engine

Looking at those fixtures again I don't think my points tally for the rest of the teams is far wrong and 33 points might have been enough for us.  Such a shame we didn't just manage to pick up a few more points along the way to enable us to get there. 

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, I know it isn't going to happen, but even if we pick up enough points to get above Bn'mth, it will give some satisfaction. 

Games to play -

Watford fixtures  -  Newcastle home, West Ham away, Man City home, Arsenal away

On 31 points - I'll give them one point against Newcastle. 

32 total.

Villa fixtures - Crystal Palace home, Everton away, Arsenal home, West Ham away. Maybe three points against Crystal Palace

30 points total

Bournmouth fixtures - Leicester home, Man City away, Southampton home, Everton away.

No easy ones there, maybe not even one point

27 points total

Norwich - West Ham home, Chelsea away, Burnley home, Man City away.

Beat West Ham, Burnley, Chelsea, Man City

33 total

Positions end of season -

17. Norwich            33

--------------------------------------

18. Watford             32

19. Villa                   30

20. Bournemouth   27

"a wob a bob bob?"
image.jpeg.4aeda68e65d31c96b3371f41736bd5db.jpeg

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, it's not optimism this time, I know it isn't going to happen, but no harm in dreaming it!  I'd be happy just to beat West Ham and keep them down near the bottom three.

Much as I dislike West Ham and the awful Karen Brady surely losing to the Hammerswould be the best scenario as it’s another nail in Villa’s coffin ? They appear screwed by the FFP rules and I would think less of a threat of an immediate return to the PL.

Anyway just for a bit of pride and a few extra bob in the bank it would be nice to finish above rock bottom.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

They appear screwed by the FFP rules

I read something the other day that suggested that because of the way they cooked the books they might get away with it. Would still have problems though 

And there lays the frustration. Pre lockdown we had an outside but achievable chance of avoiding the drop, but generally the 6 point gap was viewed as too much. As it happens the others in the relegation zone have actually done as much as they can to help us, but since the restart we have been diabolical. We came out a different team post lockdown, I don't know why?

No near, so far. We had a great opportunity but we blew it. Onwards and upwards next season 

OTBC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

'Been watching City v Newcastle, then Brighton v Liverpool. Now off to bed, up at 5 for work. Enjoy the rest of your evenings'

What happened, couldn't you get the lorry started - or was the A11 too busy ?.............🤭

ps I shall avoid suggesting how you can manually start a lorry engine

Was at the depot at time of posting, now in a layby on the A47 near Wisbech, but I can give you access to my tracker if you're that concerned with my wellbeing 😉🤷‍♂️😂

12 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Was at the depot at time of posting, now in a layby on the A47 near Wisbech, but I can give you access to my tracker if you're that concerned with my wellbeing 😉🤷‍♂️😂

Pop into the Coronation cafe for breakfast. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Looking at those fixtures again I don't think my points tally for the rest of the teams is far wrong and 33 points might have been enough for us.  Such a shame we didn't just manage to pick up a few more points along the way to enable us to get there. 

I completely agree with you Lakey.  It was fully possible for us to get up to 33-35 points which will likely be enough to survive, and it wouldn't have been a miracle by any stretch.  We've had perfectly winnable games.  We've simply been poor ever since lockdown and have never had a game where as a viewer you felt "we should be winning this" - unlike quite a few games pre-lockdown.

The biggest frustration for me this season is we've never really recaptured the quality of play we showed last season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I completely agree with you Lakey.  It was fully possible for us to get up to 33-35 points which will likely be enough to survive, and it wouldn't have been a miracle by any stretch.  We've had perfectly winnable games.  We've simply been poor ever since lockdown and have never had a game where as a viewer you felt "we should be winning this" - unlike quite a few games pre-lockdown.

The biggest frustration for me this season is we've never really recaptured the quality of play we showed last season.

Or what we showed in the first 2 months this season. 

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We came out a different team post lockdown, I don't know why?

Lack of preparation, planning, fitness and intent.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

All teams down at the bottom have also struggled since the restart. The likelihood is that if coronavirus had not appeared they would all have performed better then they have done, so we would still be in the bottom 3.

The only time since lockdown was released since I felt we looked remotely competitive or dangerous was in the most recent match against Watford. It was more our type of play than the other 4 games. In a strange way I feel we deserve relegation based on what I've seen which is better than feeling robbed because of ill fortune or some shocking mistake by a referee. It is what we are. Before lockdown with 9 games I didn't see how 12 points was ridiculous out of 27 and even felt we might scrape to 34 or 35 (which looking at the other teams I felt was enough). My confidence surely was not misplaced either at the end of last season, where our football and will to win was outstanding? It's been a big let down but it has served to show me, in the cold light of day, I actually know nothing.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This is exactly the sort of thing that justifies people in calling you out.

On the one hand you’re saying that you think you’re not far wrong in forecasting other teams final point totals then on the other you’re forever telling us to be positive and anything can happen.

How is it then that with positive thinking we can get the points but teams around us somehow cannot ?

Completely contradictory isn’t it ?

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

On the one hand you’re saying that you think you’re not far wrong in forecasting other teams final point totals then on the other you’re forever telling us to be positive and anything can happen.

How is it then that with positive thinking we can get the points but teams around us somehow cannot ?

I agree Lakey is a bit over the top, but while there’s a difference between being realistic  and hoping for the best, they’re not complete contradictory. I know we’re down, but if we beat Wet Spam there will still be a tiny part of me that thinks “if we could win the rest of our games...”.

We have desperately missed home advantage. The crowd would have made a massive difference in the Southampton, Everton and Brighton games. Without it, the better players usually come out on top - which is why the bottom clubs have done so badly.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

No.

Because positive thinking for your own team is possible without being as positive thinking about other teams.

There's nothing to gain from calling relegation before it happens. There's no prize for being the first to do it. Until/unless relegation is confirmed Lakey is right to say being positive could have a positive effect.

Anyway, you guys don't really accept relegation until it happens. I've lost count of the must win games you've flagged up and the melt downs afterwards when you decided it was all over.

If relegation happens it will only happen once.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No.

Because positive thinking for your own team is possible without being as positive thinking about other teams.

There's nothing to gain from calling relegation before it happens. There's no prize for being the first to do it. Until/unless relegation is confirmed Lakey is right to say being positive could have a positive effect.

Anyway, you guys don't really accept relegation until it happens. I've lost count of the must win games you've flagged up and the melt downs afterwards when you decided it was all over.

If relegation happens it will only happen once.

I think you misunderstood Nutty.

Lakey always bangs on about ‘ anything can happen ‘ so the same must apply to all the other teams too. Positivity is not the argument here.

Why does Lakey think probability only applies to other teams but Norwich are somehow so ‘ special ‘ that it doesn’t apply to them ?

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Aything CAN happen, good or bad to NCFC or anyone else. My thoughts that those above us won't do well is based as much on wishful thinking as anything else, but then the way they have been playing, they don't look as if they are going to get many points.

My message (if I have one) isn't just "be positive", although it's much better to be positive than negative, it's to "be open to all possibilities" - good or bad.  Keep an open mind and you never know.  What constantly amazes me that people make up their minds exactly what is going to happen well in advance, even though there are so many variables and unknowns.

I sit here and think - we're not going to win the last four games, for sure -  but then am I closing my mind to the possibilities?  I try not to look at the past as a guide, I try not to look at the future simply because it is unknown. What I do know is football is a strange old game and anything can happen at any time.

I look at Leeds and think, no, they are nowhere near promoted yet (which is what I thought about us last season) and I look at Brentford and I think they are more likely to do it. So it's a mixed situation - some positive, some negative - but I also know Leeds are in a better position and Brentford are further back, so the logic does not follow the thought processes.....but then that is the point - there is more to football than logic/stats/certainties......and that is why we love it so much.

I hope Leeds don't get promoted, I hope Brentford do, so that colours my thinking.  Maybe that is why I appear so positive - because I hope so much that NCFC will do well. Maybe I'm not typical, I don't know, but for me, hope is better than expectation. 

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think you misunderstood Nutty.

Lakey always bangs on about ‘ anything can happen ‘ so the same must apply to all the other teams too. Positivity is not the argument here.

Why does Lakey think probability only applies to other teams but Norwich are somehow so ‘ special ‘ that it doesn’t apply to them ?

Because Norwich are his team.

On Rays Funds we send PUPpower to a team we want to score. Sending PUPpower to other teams may have a positive influence but we have no interest in doing it.

Norwich City are so 'special'. To believe they are not brings any support to being passive at best.

Edited by nutty nigel

8 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I read something the other day that suggested that because of the way they cooked the books they might get away with it. Would still have problems though 

Everyone will blame Covid for their losses . FFP will be a busted flush . 

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Because Norwich are his team.

On Rays Funds we send PUPpower to a team we want to score. Sending PUPpower to other teams may have a positive influence but we have no interest in doing it.

Norwich City are so 'special'. To believe they are not brings any support to being passive at best.

As you know Norwich are my team too. I want them to do well as do most supporters ranging from the ' Percy Positives ' to the  'Negative Nancys ' and all combinations in between.

Some of us are realistic others unrealistic in our expectations but we're all biased at least to some extent toward our own.

That means we often can't see the wood for the trees but like most things in life it all comes out in the wash eventually.

It's only football after all.....😉

5 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

As you know Norwich are my team too. I want them to do well as do most supporters ranging from the ' Percy Positives ' to the  'Negative Nancys ' and all combinations in between.

Some of us are realistic others unrealistic in our expectations but we're all biased at least to some extent toward our own.

That means we often can't see the wood for the trees but like most things in life it all comes out in the wash eventually.

It's only football after all.....😉

You did it for me by claiming an opinion can be more or less realistic. That perceived  realism is only another part of your opinion. Like writing it underlined in bold font.

🙃

BTW I wasn't suggesting that positive Lakey is a better fan than negative Smiffy. You asked why Lakey viewed Norwich as being so 'special'.

Edited by nutty nigel