Sign in to follow this  
curious yellow

Buying Top Players

Let's face it, any player that is worth a hefty transfer fee is not going to want to come to Norwich.

We have to bring in promising young players and develop them, this is working better now than ever. 

Unfortunately we have paid the price this season in terms of our league position but if we continue to spend wisely we could find a team that can last in the top flight. 

I think Idah could be one of our greatest success stories, some time in the Championship will greatly help him. 

I mentioned something similar to this in another thread - we have historically had success buying players from smaller clubs, who are on their way up.

Our 'flops' have been the players who have come from bigger clubs, who are probably here for the money (Naismith, RVW, etc).

I agree with the other points that you have made though. Several posters are questionning the 'plan', yet lack the intelligence to see that Webber's description is becoming a reality - we have £100+ million worth of talent that we can reinvest, if we choose to sell them. 

No problem with buying young players who are on the "up", would just like to see us spend money on a higher calibre of said players. We have the right idea but need to take it to the next level. Nobody wants to see another Naismith.

The days of Naismiths on big fees and wages are long gone. Thank god.

As a self funded club we have to be looking at players lower down and abroad who we know after a season or 2 will be worth big money. Like obviously Maddison was and Buendia will be.

It's all about signing players who have a resale value. Not players who are 30+ picking up wages that no other club will pay him.

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

No problem with buying young players who are on the "up", would just like to see us spend money on a higher calibre of said players. We have the right idea but need to take it to the next level. Nobody wants to see another Naismith.

I think that's what they tried to do - we signed players from Man City, Sevilla and Schalke.

It has proven to be a tricky thing to do, and I can understand their thinking.

Maybe next time we are in the PL, we need to find quality players from smaller clubs around Europe, who are worth less than 10 million, may be the way forward?

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

The days of Naismiths on big fees and wages are long gone. Thank god.

As a self funded club we have to be looking at players lower down and abroad who we know after a season or 2 will be worth big money. Like obviously Maddison was and Buendia will be.

It's all about signing players who have a resale value. Not players who are 30+ picking up wages that no other club will pay him.

I agree with the majority of what you're saying, but I don't think it's about money.

We haven't broken the bank with any of our signings but most of them haven't worked out.

I think it's the psychology of joining Norwich, and where they're coming from.

People keep saying, if we choose to sell them. Do you really think that stopping players getting well paid moves to the premier and forcing them to stay will work out well?

We were never planning to become established in the top flight with Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Cantwell starting most games, of this I am certain.

The youth conveyor belt is there to fund the gradual building of a squad that compete at the top level. 

Max and Jamal are great, sure, but they have their drawbacks. Byram is often cited as 'better defensively' than the two but not as good going forwards- but if you think back, SB has probably popped up in the opposition box more often and had more chances than both put together when he has played. It isn't that he's not as attacking, he simply has the experience and patience to know when to push on and when not to; players of this calibre are the next step. 

Unfortunately it does mean we will have to keep 'moneyballing' and taking risks on players that other teams don't value- Byrams injury record, for example. 

13 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

People keep saying, if we choose to sell them. Do you really think that stopping players getting well paid moves to the premier and forcing them to stay will work out well?

It depends. 

Maddison, yes. Pritchard and the Murphy twins, no.

Webber had a great point recently - he has told the players to look at the Liverpool players and track their career.

Van Dijk went from Holland (I think), to Celtic, to Saints and eventually joined Liverpool in his mid twenties. Same with Mane and Salah.

It's great advice. Those players (Salah aside, when he went to Chelsea) didn't join a bug club and sit on the bench. They worked their way up, playing games and learning their trade. 

It is tricky for the players - it could be their one chance to join a big club, and they are one injury away from retirement. However moving could hamper their progress.

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere yet, so on the subject of transfers we have genuine interest in Dennis Man From Steaua. 

Would be a chunk of a fee, big potential. To be honest I would have thought he was out of our scope, being relegated.

1 minute ago, NFN FC said:

He's over 6', are we allowed? 

I have it on good authority we will ask him to shave his head and scooch down a bit to make sure he doesn't scare the other players

The plan of buying and bring through excellent young players is fantastic and is clearly working. I would also love us to give a chance to the odd lower league player who may be more mature who has a good record in their particular position but never been given a chance higher up the pyramid. They would be more street wise, physically developed and very hungry, Grant Holt and Ricky Lambert were both excellent examples of this, they were in the same Shrewsbury side together

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

We have £100+ million worth of talent that we can reinvest, if we choose to sell them. 

Do we really though? This is the covid world, lockdown has cost the clubs millions and will continue to do so.

Asides from the true giants or oil backed clubs you may find that spending is very conservative this summer.  

Cantwell, Lewis, Buendia are good... But they aren't Man Utd good, they are more Everton or Newcastle good. 

Max Aaron's and possibly Ben Godfrey the only two that will, at this stage, interest the top 4/5/6. 

I really can't see many clubs outside of those dropping £20m on players. Palace may on the striker they are desperate for, but I'm expecting austerity. 

43 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

It depends. 

Webber had a great point recently - he has told the players to look at the Liverpool players and track their career.

Van Dijk went from Holland (I think), to Celtic, to Saints and eventually joined Liverpool in his mid twenties. Same with Mane and Salah.

It's great advice. Those players (Salah aside, when he went to Chelsea) didn't join a bug club and sit on the bench. They worked their way up, playing games and learning their trade. 

It is tricky for the players - it could be their one chance to join a big club, and they are one injury away from retirement. However moving could hamper their progress.

It could also be the clubs only chance to accept a great fee, injuries can come and a player who once was wanted becomes unwanted.

Let's not forget the huge mistake in not selling oliveira when we should have

I believe, like mccallum, we will purchase a couple of £3-5 million players if we sell a few of the young players.

But these will players on the up.

I do also feel we have completed good business and have young players coming through that deserve to play.

I do like the odd addition like a Gary o'Neil, he knew how to grind out results. We need that in this team so we grind out results and, as mentioned on other topics, give us some physicality.

46 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

It depends. 

It's an interesting, but also fairly one eyed viewpoint that obviously works in our favour.

You could just as easily look at Joe Gomez who left Charlton after 21 games and is now a key player at Liverpool. 

Also I imagine a player like Aarons might suggest he's done his 'working his way up' with us, unless we're suggesting he move to a midtable Premier League club first.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Do we really though? This is the covid world, lockdown has cost the clubs millions and will continue to do so.

Asides from the true giants or oil backed clubs you may find that spending is very conservative this summer.  

Very true. I guess that works for and against us.

We may get a few bargains from desperate clubs, whilst not getting quite as much as we had hoped for our boys.

It will be an unpredictable transfer window, which will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's an interesting, but also fairly one eyed viewpoint that obviously works in our favour.

You could just as easily look at Joe Gomez who left Charlton after 21 games and is now a key player at Liverpool. 

Also I imagine a player like Aarons might suggest he's done his 'working his way up' with us, unless we're suggesting he move to a midtable Premier League club first.

For every Raheem Sterling, there's a Jack Rodwell, I guess. 

It would probably be up to the players to judge whether they have a realistic chance of starting week in, week out at their prospective clubs.

4 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

For every Raheem Sterling, there's a Jack Rodwell, I guess. 

It would probably be up to the players to judge whether they have a realistic chance of starting week in, week out at their prospective clubs.

Yep, each player would need to judge it on its own merits.

For instance if I was Aarons I'd be pretty confident I could oust Aurier at Spurs but I wouldn't be moving to Liverpool to play second fiddle to TAA.

• Like 1