Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Pukki- Time to cash in and sell or do you think he will regain his form in the Championship?

Beacause ever since his injury he has looked an absoloute shadow of a man. So many missed chances he would have banged straight into the back of the net earlier in the season.

Do you think the Pukki party is over? Is it time for him to move on and Idah to step up? Or, as the Question asks-

Do you think he will return to scoring for fun in the 2nd tirer?

Depends if he wants to be here or not.

Same with the rest of them.

If he does, keep.

If he doesn't, sell.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Difficult to say if he has been worked out worn out or staved of chances. He is a shadow of the first half of the season which is a big worry, any potential buyer may think that too. Keep him and have competition for places would be my choice

He is at the age where it’s the last opportunity to get a decent transfer fee in. On his form this year I believe the club would be very tempted to sell. 

Pukki is a tough one, he's now hit the wrong side of 30 and his game seems to already be a yard slower, whether this is is the start of his decline or that he's simply not fit currently I don't know.

I'm not sure we'd get a massive fee for him now (age, form etc), so I'd be inclined to keep him if he's happy to stay (which is another question), but I equally wouldn't be disappointed if we went with Idah as our No1 striker next season.    Just as long as we manage to get shot of Drmic in the summer, and i'd be happy.

100% keep him. He was a level above the rest of the league and I'm sure that he'll find his form again once we create more chances for him.

He usually got 4/5 chances per game in the Championship. He's lucky if he gets 1 in the PL.

• Like 5

Has to be a keep for me if he wants to stay. I think he represents our best chance of competing to come back up next year. 

I feared earlier in the year that someone would buy him from the premier as it would represent his last chance to play at that level meaning he was likely to leave but now I’m not sure there will be loads of suitors. However, to argue with myself and the point made above, if someone was to offer £10-15m for a player we got on a free then by the design of our model surely we would have to sell.

it will be interesting to see what happens in the striker roles over the shortened window, will we keep Idah as a genuine option or will he go out on loan for regular football? Will drmic stay and if he does will he be useful at the lower level?. My guess is that we will keep Pukki and Idah and maybe get one more, Jordan Rhodes on a free maybe? 

Keep him, keep him, keep him. He's worth a lot more to us than whatever anyone else would be prepared to pay for him. Same with Krul. They're experienced players whom we signed on free transfers, and we need their experience to complement the youth in the squad (and even if we sell most of our top young players, more will come into the team, whether through the Academy or the transfer market).

• Like 2

Agree, if he wants to stay, keep him. He has cost us nothing but wages and will be paid less next season by us.  If for whatever reason he wants to go , then we should understand, say thanks for the goals and the excitement  and take as much as we can get for him , without blocking his path. He came in good faith , played I  good faith and if he leaves it should be the same way, he owes us nothing. 

• Like 1

Pukki got off to a flying start this season then he completely fell apart. Hopefully he’ll get back into form next season but if he doesn’t I think we might have to think about selling him or signing someone else in January. I don’t think he’ll be quite as good as the Pukki of last season though - yes I think he should still score quite a few goals, but no I don’t think he’ll be the top scorer in the Championship.

3 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Will posters on here please move on from Jordan Rhodes. That boat has sailed and docked elsewhere!. Rather take a punt on a unit such as Meite at Reading.

I agree but I think I’m right in the assumption that his contract expires this summer so it is a natural linkage 

7 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Will posters on here please move on from Jordan Rhodes. That boat has sailed and docked elsewhere!. Rather take a punt on a unit such as Meite at Reading.

Meite is a good shout. Can't imagine he will come cheaply, though, and may well attract interest from PL clubs.

Not sure that any club in the EPL would want him.

Has turned into a bit of a one hit wonder and he is getting on a bit.

Could recover his form but it would be a big gamble for anyone to spend big bucks/wages on him.

Would probably end up warming the bench so he might prefer to stay here.

Wouldn't sell him to a rival in the Champs so I'd try & persuede him to stay.

Given he's 30, given he's had a bad six or seven months, given he's probably got an eye on the European championships next summer, I would expect if we got a bid of between £12m to £15m we would have to have a very long think about what we do.

Otherwise I'd keep him. Goalscorers are hard to find. Despite his struggles, he's scored 45 in 78. A great return. The question would be where we could get that sort of return from elsewhere if we were to sell. 

Ya , its  very easy for us on here to say hes finished ,done etc , but if it's your job to decide and then find a better replacement it's not so easy. Has anyone  checked on FM ( I'm getting  the hang of the lingo) to see how he'll  do next season?.

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Meite would require a big transfer fee, the club isn't willing to pay those... so it makes more sense to be talking about Rhodes than it does him. Pukki and Drmic both free transfers, no reason to believe that the club is going to change course and drop £10m on a young and up and coming talent like Meite.

We should be paying close attention to Wigan right now though, linked to Morsy in the past. Kipre is quality as well. If they go under then those players become free agents. 

Meite scored against us at reading didn't he? I agree even then he looked a good option to look at.

Pukki will have interest from premier league teams. He has proved he can score and troubled defenders throughout the whole season. 11 goals this season and in a team with more help would have scored more.

He has been injured and playing with little rest this season with drmic and srbeny as back up.

Once buendia was dropped he had his supply drying up, then he has been isolated.

Pukki is a fantastic striker that I hope we can keep but I do think there will be interest

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Not sure that any club in the EPL would want him.

Has turned into a bit of a one hit wonder and he is getting on a bit.

Could recover his form but it would be a big gamble for anyone to spend big bucks/wages on him.

Would probably end up warming the bench so he might prefer to stay here.

Wouldn't sell him to a rival in the Champs so I'd try & persuede him to stay.

You might need to brush up on your persuasion techniques 🙃

Pukki is the best centre forward we've had since Grant Holt. Sure he's well off form now but I do wonder if there is an underlying issue with his foot.

He will come good again. No brainer for me that we do everything to keep him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Meite would require a big transfer fee, the club isn't willing to pay those... so it makes more sense to be talking about Rhodes than it does him. Pukki and Drmic both free transfers, no reason to believe that the club is going to change course and drop £10m on a young and up and coming talent like Meite.

We should be paying close attention to Wigan right now though, linked to Morsy in the past. Kipre is quality as well. If they go under then those players become free agents. 

As David Coleman said "goals pay the rent". Strikers cost money. Goals get you out of the championship. Its proven.If you have to pay,you pay. We know, with the way Farke sets out his footballing stall,we will never defend well enough to win on a consistent basis without our strikers doing the business at the other end.Unless he changes his philosophy and do we want that?

46 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

As David Coleman said "goals pay the rent". Strikers cost money. Goals get you out of the championship. Its proven.If you have to pay,you pay. We know, with the way Farke sets out his footballing stall,we will never defend well enough to win on a consistent basis without our strikers doing the business at the other end.Unless he changes his philosophy and do we want that?

Pukki didn’t cost a thing and he got nearly 30 last time.

at the top level you are absolutely correct, money tends to buy quality but that doesn’t mean you can’t pick up a bargain. I expect quite a few championship clubs to have to severely tighten their belts this summer due to COVID and therefore there might be some interesting options available for cheaper than usual to a club like us that bizarrely in the championship terms will be cash rich (assuming we sell some of the stars) 

Keep him, he's is gonna come good. He hasn't had the supply this end of the season so I don't think we should right him off yet. That's assuming he wants to stay. 

Need to get rid of Drmic for sure! Isn't there a clause in his contract about misrepresenting the club? His music is offensive to my ears and the videos are offensive to my eyes. So based on that can we fire him? Please? 

Then, we can spend a bit on another youngish striker. 

53 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You might need to brush up on your persuasion techniques 🙃

Pukki is the best centre forward we've had since Grant Holt. Sure he's well off form now but I do wonder if there is an underlying issue with his foot.

He will come good again. No brainer for me that we do everything to keep him.

Not a lot to choose from though is there? Jerome bagged 38 in 138 appearances and didn't look washed up when sold to Derby. Not sure Pukki is that much better. Jerome could actually head a ball as well. Agree about a possible lingering injury. If that is an issue at all then I would sell subject to suitable replacement. 

Surreal times in our football world right now, here are, more than a week into July and we are still reigning Championship Champions for a wee bit longer, virtually relegated from the Prem and already looking ahead  to the summer reshuffle with the likes of Pukki and others and looking ahead to regain our Championship crown in a season we dont know when it'll start.

If Teemu is happy to stay then we should all be happy, with hopefully Idah breaking thru to it could be a fearsome striking department, if theyre given the chances to deliver. Hoping that DF  has learnt a lot from his first Prem season and SW has learnt a lot from last summer's transfer window. Even with relegation we still lay above our  southern cousins in the divisions so there is a glow of optimism in me about the next season, whenever it arrives and despite this present long, long season that we all just want  to see end.

Stick with him, but as the old famous Paul Lambert always used to say, he "needs a hand"

He has massively missed having Jordan Rhodes push him/ link up with him this season.

While I have big hopes for Idah to play a part, we are in desperate need of a more physical striker to work next to Pukki or off the bench when he is struggling. Drmic has been completely hopeless this season so I don't have much hope he would be up to anything next season either, hes also injury prone so can't be relied on.

MOTD analysing him now. Shearer says he's coming towards the ball too much. He's forgotten how to run in behind defenders.

Hes clearly frustrated with the service he's getting to have changed that behaviour

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

MOTD analysing him now. Shearer says he's coming towards the ball too much. He's forgotten how to run in behind defenders.

Hes clearly frustrated with the service he's getting to have changed that behaviour

Yes, interesting analysis, could be just the advice he needs.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Yes, interesting analysis, could be just the advice he needs.

haha, he's no doubt well aware, he isn't getting in behind but then is that his fault or is it the incompetence of the lot behind him in getting the through balls to him?

I feel our threat is far too narrow, the "flying fullbacks" have been one of the biggest let downs this year, especially since Jan and I get the impression that neither of them really want to be here any more (heads turned)