Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

What do we want?

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I don’t know what I want, but that is most definitely what I do not want.

Oh absolutely, me either. I'm just saying that the most common way to succeed with lesser means in the PL is to make yourself big, strong and difficult to break down. To do it playing our style of football, on our budget, isn't far from impossible. I admire us for trying, though.

• Like 1

It's not that we necessarily need to be bigger, just more athletic. Hernandez isn't the biggest but his ability to hold onto the ball physically under pressure is class.

PL players are strong & fast- last year, so much was made of Jamal Lewis' background as a sprinter and how he was the fastest thing on two legs. Fast forward to the Brighton game where Aaron Mooy, who isn't a 'fast' player, matched him for pace for their goal, and yesterday where Sarr had him on toast.

A lot of our outstanding assets from last year are simply average at this level. And I think that caught Webber & Farke out too.

I agree it’s not just about being physically strong but also having players who can dominate the pitch and have almost an ‘aura” about them.

Maddison is probably a relevant example of that or taking it to a ridiculous extreme Messi (and no I’m not suggesting that’s who we should be looking at). Not particularly’big’ but still strong on the ball and you don’t often see them being brushed aside.

I thought that Buendia would be our man but despite his brilliant footwork he does quite command the pitch as I hoped (although was ironically as close as he has got last night)

FTW, I can see Leicester were not playing total football in the way Liverpool and Man City do, but they were different to the run of the mill "get the biggest players in you can find" school of football that some clubs seem to have done. 

Norwich's style of football was not a long way from doing really well this season, maybe a settled defence would have helped, maybe too much reliance on youth, but overall, the way we play - the basics of which does not look set to change - is what will get us back to the PL, hopefully better for the experience this year and with improvements, allowing us to actually beat some of these lower clubs, whose play I would call bulldozer football - effective up to a point, not pretty, but keeps them in the PL.

I would settle for a promotion where we come back up and play the same way we did this season, but do it better next time. Attractive to watch, a few more goals, more confidence and get amongst the teams higher up the table.  Playing bulldozer football is not for me, I want the beautiful game and DF appears to want that too.  More power to him, to aim for the top and the highest ideals - it may not get us to the top, but at least it will have been tried and no compromises made to those that just want to stay in the PL at all costs with no prospect of ever doing much else than just staying where they are. 

Aim high and who knows you might one day get there. Aim for mid-table and you might as well not bother.

42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

FTW, I can see Leicester were not playing total football in the way Liverpool and Man City do, but they were different to the run of the mill "get the biggest players in you can find" school of football that some clubs seem to have done. 

Norwich's style of football was not a long way from doing really well this season, maybe a settled defence would have helped, maybe too much reliance on youth, but overall, the way we play - the basics of which does not look set to change - is what will get us back to the PL, hopefully better for the experience this year and with improvements, allowing us to actually beat some of these lower clubs, whose play I would call bulldozer football - effective up to a point, not pretty, but keeps them in the PL.

I would settle for a promotion where we come back up and play the same way we did this season, but do it better next time. Attractive to watch, a few more goals, more confidence and get amongst the teams higher up the table.  Playing bulldozer football is not for me, I want the beautiful game and DF appears to want that too.  More power to him, to aim for the top and the highest ideals - it may not get us to the top, but at least it will have been tried and no compromises made to those that just want to stay in the PL at all costs with no prospect of ever doing much else than just staying where they are. 

Aim high and who knows you might one day get there. Aim for mid-table and you might as well not bother.

No worries Lakey. All I was saying is that the tactics they employed were totally different to the ones we employ, and you get that. They weren't just mindless hoofball merchants, but it was a million miles from the way you and I like to see football played.

However, I don't think it would necessarily compromise our ideals to have some players who are stronger and faster than the ones we currently have. Although we prefer patient build-up, to be able to use pace on the counter-attack would be a useful outlet in the PL, where by definition we will spend less time on the ball. Having players in a similar mould but with more physical strength will result in fewer situations like, for example, the one yesterday where Sarr just skittled McLean.

We seek technical players, which is great, but if we can get back up to the PL next season we should be able to pay a bit extra to purchase technical players who offer us a little more in terms of speed and strength.

• Like 1