cambridgeshire canary

Godfrey- Worth £50 Million?

48 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Everyone else seems to have missed the obvious.  Godfrey's agency team includes Rio Ferdinand.  All this valuation talk is purely a plant by him, as I am sure he talks to journalists every day.  Agent's, and I include ex-players who do this, are just looking to enhance their share of future fees, they aren't worried about the player or clubs particularly. 

If I had my way I'd get rid of them all, kick Taylor out of the PFA and get that organisation to do a proper advisory job for players on contracts etc.  That way more money would stay in the game.

if Rio wants to pimp him out and get us £50m for him then he can crack on! I get your point though, its more a soap opera these days football is.

I'd happily have the top 6 **** off to a super league and take all the money and circus with them.

• Like 2

Godfrey's best position would be as part of a back 3 but Farke has never had a fit squad to play that system even if he wanted to. I agree that he doesn't have the positional awareness to be a dominant CB, but alongside a Van Dijk he would look awesome.

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Godfrey's best position would be as part of a back 3 but Farke has never had a fit squad to play that system even if he wanted to. I agree that he doesn't have the positional awareness to be a dominant CB, but alongside a Van Dijk he would look awesome.

At the age of 22 he doesn't yet have the Premier League experience to be a dominant CB!  However, he's getting that valuable experience and he's getting better all the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

A near like for like replacement for the player(s) we lose. There's a very good thread on here 'a squad in flux' which nicely categorises our current squad and also highlights our strengths and weaknesses. Lose some or all of the 1st category and don't replace like for like in terms of ability then we can forget about promotion. We already look bottom heavy in category 5 vs our core players in my opinion. Hopefully they will all come good but they might not so we need more balance with proven players.

If you replace players who move on with purchases, which is going to be more of an option if we are getting the sorts of numbers being suggested as fees, where is the path to the first team for the academy squad? We have to continue to be attractive to young players with potential because 1) we have history of developing young talent and 2) they can see that if they do well, they will get a shot at making the first team. Like has happened for Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis. And now Adam Idah and Josh Martin. If we slam the door on the route to the first team, potential recruits won’t see us as a good place to go and we will go back to the days when the best the academy produced over several years was Mickey Spillane and Chris Martin.

Norwich centre-back Ben Godfrey is wanted by Serie A pair Roma and AC Milan (Calciomercato)

It's a good thing Big Ben now speaks fluent German, French and Norwegian after all his semi-fit CB partnerships over the season, what will all this continental interest. Maybe Webber should increase the asking price up to a cool 75m due to his linguistic proficiency.  

4 hours ago, Olano said:

Norwich centre-back Ben Godfrey is wanted by Serie A pair Roma and AC Milan (Calciomercato)

The idea of Godfrey in a Milan shirt passing it to Zlatan at the San Siro does give me a laugh

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The idea of Godfrey in a Milan shirt passing it to Zlatan at the San Siro does give me a laugh

It gives me a laugh too - considering the San Siro is soon going to be knocked down! (And I agree with your assessment that the ageing Ibrahimovic isn't good enough anymore to be in the same team as our Ben). 

45 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It gives me a laugh too - considering the San Siro is soon going to be knocked down! (And I agree with your assessment that the ageing Ibrahimovic isn't good enough anymore to be in the same team as our Ben). 

A swap deal then. It would be fitting  for Ibra to finish his career with Norwich City. He owes us for having scored the only goal in the centenary match.🤓

Doesn't matter what he's really worth, it's the price someone is prepared to pay. What with Dortmund also being interested along presumably some EPL clubs, the price just keeps going up.

Personally I rate him currently lowest for all of our young players who have been playing regularly, so would think its crazy gamble for someone to pay 50M for only raw talent. He is good with ball and tackles, but i think he is not even decent championship quality on marking and positioning which has cost tons of goals against us this season.

Therefore it is very hard to see that any team capable to splash 50M would buy him to starting eleven, and very unlikely that anyone spends that kind of sum for a guy who is not going to be starter.

I think if he played in a Team with a very strong CB he would learn and progress very quickly 

He has pace and and from his Midfield days can pass better than most defenders 

He reminds me of a  Young Chris Smalling When he was at Fulham