cambridgeshire canary

Godfrey- Worth £50 Million?

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Here we go again, if we do not sell at £50m we are "collapsing". Is it too much to ask that there is a proper discussion on this without the negativity?. Every season, in every professional league across the world there are situations where a player is valued at "x" and ends up being sold for "y", it really is nothing new. Like any other professional footballer Godfrey is worth what another club is prepared to pay for him, regardless of opinions on here, what the media say etc.........

True. 

52 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Where did I say 2 players at £25m? The board has said we don't need to sell so we won't.  If we weaken the squad then we won't be promoted unless we replace like for like. The goal is to return to the EPL immediately.

What do you think we will do with the money?

If we did get £50 million I would NOT invest it all in the first team. Maybe buy one or two upgrades like a Tettey replacement, another CB as cover or improvement for Klose, but it is key that  we invest in academy players and infrastructure too. We can’t purely replace players with purchases, we have to demonstrate a progression from the academy to the first team to remain attractive to recruits like Adshead, Mumba (has that actually happened?) and the rest.

If you want to spend it *all* on the first team, but on more than two players, how would you do it?

Edited by Nuff Said

34 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I may be in a minority but seeing him on occasions doing some midfield runs against Watford when we were chasing the game i wonder if we have missed a trick in using him as a CB as opposed to midfield. He is a box to box man for me good shot, decent in the air and bags of energy. As for the fee £50m is an awful lot of money for a CB in a defense that is bottom of the league and conceded so many goals. I am sure the best of him is  yet to come. Add to that we do not know the impact of COVID on the transfer market and TV funding. I cannot see anyone paying much more than £25 M with add ons at the moment

I never understand why this idea gets the reaction it did from the poster underneath your comment. He played the holding role at Shrewsbury (granted League 1 level), and was stand out there.  I've always said he has all the attributes to play that holding role in front of a back 4, I know this season injuries have dictated but had all our CBs been fit at one time he'd have still played CB.  If he is to be carried on in defence (which he will), I'd like to see him in a back 3 which would much suit our style of wanting both FBs to bomb on at the same time.  Again, I concede we've had no opportunity to play this way, but if that was ever the plan you have to go with more than 4 CBs in the squad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I never understand why this idea gets the reaction it did from the poster underneath your comment. He played the holding role at Shrewsbury (granted League 1 level), and was stand out there.  I've always said he has all the attributes to play that holding role in front of a back 4, I know this season injuries have dictated but had all our CBs been fit at one time he'd have still played CB.  If he is to be carried on in defence (which he will), I'd like to see him in a back 3 which would much suit our style of wanting both FBs to bomb on at the same time.  Again, I concede we've had no opportunity to play this way, but if that was ever the plan you have to go with more than 4 CBs in the squad.

Agreed. I have been saying from the first day that Ben was  given the centre back role by Farke (and described as a 'potentially world class centre back') that he was not a natural defender. At the time I was scorned left right and centre by a load of posters who suggested otherwise. They may still be right of course but I doubt it. Over a year later he still switches off and gets caught out particularly at near post crosses where he is seemingly unaware of where the attacker is. Whoever buys him will (I believe) see this for themselves (if the haven't already) and shove him into the role you describe. He could be awesome in that position. He will not reach that level as centre back.  

• Like 1

Not sure which of Godfrey at DM or loan back Aarons is going to be the title of the season DVD, but it's going to be close.

Godfrey has a massive blindspot in his defensive positioning and reading of the game. Its his main issue as a centre back and he would get eaten alive at DM in the Premier League- Tettey isn't vital because he's really fast and can play a nice diagonal pass, it's the mental side of the game that makes him so important.

If he had that part to the game he wouldn't always be a yard off the play at CB. I joked last week that he has the 'Luke Chambers' trait of always managing to be in the action shot of goals being conceded making this face 😲 and sure enough, though admittedly he's far from the main culprit here...

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_cb34e712-c08b-11ea-a824-905810f36b8c.jpg

20 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I never understand why this idea gets the reaction it did from the poster underneath your comment. 

If you search for “Godfrey defensive midfield” or something similar on here, you will get many thousands of hits. It’s been debated endlessly for two seasons, Farke has said he isn’t going to play him there, Godfrey has said he’s a centre back himself. It’s not happening. End of.

3 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

My apologies, I didn't realise this how debate works on here..... 😉 

It’s the “endlessly” part of the debate that I’m talking about. For sure, let’s argue something, but for two year when the two main players have said it won’t happen? 🥱

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He'd be great at DM. Unfortunately Farke disagrees.

Amazing how everybody thinks hes a CDM based on a spell he played there in league one. You can see from his build, passing ability and his pace that he will become a very good ball playing centre back once he moves on to play with better players where he has the time to learn the role. He is still a way off this but he will definitely get there, just not here.

Whilst I agree it would’ve been worth trying him as CDM it’s not really been an option as we haven’t had 2 other fit CBS most the season.

id mainly had liked Farke to try it just so people wouldn’t keep going on about it. As others have said, I don’t think he had the vision or footballing knowledge to play CDM. I think we’d see the same as we do as CB -the occasional majestic stride through the middle of the park but in most games he would simply go missing and always just seem to be a few feet away from the action and where he should actually be.

He May yet learn and end up being as brilliant as Rio No doubt thinks he is...but at the moment I’d snap up any offer above £25m and use that money to buy a ‘proper’ CDM.

35 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed. I have been saying from the first day that Ben was  given the centre back role by Farke (and described as a 'potentially world class centre back') that he was not a natural defender. At the time I was scorned left right and centre by a load of posters who suggested otherwise. They may still be right of course but I doubt it. Over a year later he still switches off and gets caught out particularly at near post crosses where he is seemingly unaware of where the attacker is. Whoever buys him will (I believe) see this for themselves (if the haven't already) and shove him into the role you describe. He could be awesome in that position. He will not reach that level as centre back.  

Completely agree, he will be play in mid field in the premier next season

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He'd be great at DM. Unfortunately Farke disagrees.

Looking forward to his move to a top club where their manager plays him in midfield.

There is loads of competition for a DM with the attributes of Godfrey and while he can do that job I think it is a very clever move to have him at centre back as we have seen even in the top tier of the prem some centre halves cannot move the ball as Godfrey, have the pace to make a recovery, make strong challenges etc.

I think in regard to financial value we will get more interest with Godfrey as a CB and so I am happy that is what Frake has done and I think we will get more £££ as there is so much European competition for really good defensive midfielders.

Again the fee will be negotiated by both clubs, but where I think it helps here is that the agency working for Godfrey seems to have the ears of many and will work non stop for a move for their client when they know the opportunity as at the highest point, the murphys are a fine example.

£50 million, well with add ons and sell on fees etc, it will be higher than some of the figures touted (£20 million etc); but either way we will get a good deal for Godfrey due to all the components required to make a move happen.

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Not sure which of Godfrey at DM or loan back Aarons is going to be the title of the season DVD, but it's going to be close.

Godfrey has a massive blindspot in his defensive positioning and reading of the game. Its his main issue as a centre back and he would get eaten alive at DM in the Premier League- Tettey isn't vital because he's really fast and can play a nice diagonal pass, it's the mental side of the game that makes him so important.

If he had that part to the game he wouldn't always be a yard off the play at CB. I joked last week that he has the 'Luke Chambers' trait of always managing to be in the action shot of goals being conceded making this face 😲 and sure enough, though admittedly he's far from the main culprit here...

Yeah, a lot of here who point out his defensive issues, fail to see that reading the game is so much more important for a defensive midfielder. If you struggle at centre back you'll struggle more in defensive midfield.

It’s the “endlessly” part of the debate that I’m talking about. For sure, let’s argue something, but for two year when the two main players have said it won’t happen

Virtually every topic is debated over a number of years. That doesn't make them invalid anymore. And things do change. So if we had been blessed with no injuries to CBs but MacLean and Tettey had been out for months you wouldn't think they might consider BG in what a lot of us say is worth trying.

Lets face it, many on here think the coach isn't up to it. And how do we know Ben didn't agree with the coach for the sake of it. He didn't turn down the role at Shrewsbury. And he was bought from York as DM/CB.

Mike Walker said Chris Sutton was a better CB yet Henrik Laursen said Sutton was the best striker he had played alongside.

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

If we did get £50 million I would NOT invest it all in the first team. Maybe buy one or two upgrades like a Tettey replacement, another CB as cover or improvement for Klose, but it is key that  we invest in academy players and infrastructure too. We can’t purely replace players with purchases, we have to demonstrate a progression from the academy to the first team to remain attractive to recruits like Adshead, Mumba (has that actually happened?) and the rest.

If you want to spend it *all* on the first team, but on more than two players, how would you do it?

A near like for like replacement for the player(s) we lose. There's a very good thread on here 'a squad in flux' which nicely categorises our current squad and also highlights our strengths and weaknesses. Lose some or all of the 1st category and don't replace like for like in terms of ability then we can forget about promotion. We already look bottom heavy in category 5 vs our core players in my opinion. Hopefully they will all come good but they might not so we need more balance with proven players.

If Norwich play hardball then we might have player on our hands who don’t want to be here, it’s happened before. Godfrey wants to play at higher level 

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A near like for like replacement for the player(s) we lose. There's a very good thread on here 'a squad in flux' which nicely categorises our current squad and also highlights our strengths and weaknesses. Lose some or all of the 1st category and don't replace like for like in terms of ability then we can forget about promotion. We already look bottom heavy in category 5 vs our core players in my opinion. Hopefully they will all come good but they might not so we need more balance with proven players.

We won't be getting like to like players in terms of talent though- certainly not proven talent.

If we sell Aarons to Spurs it means they view him as ap otential top 6 full back. We clearly won't b able to sign a player of similar talent. So what we have to do is find someone who we think is good enough to be a top Championship players and potentially more in the future. 

McCallum is a good example of that sort of thinking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Godfrey has said he’s a centre back himself. It’s not happening. End of.

Hmm, so did Russell Martin 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

Yeah, a lot of here who point out his defensive issues, fail to see that reading the game is so much more important for a defensive midfielder. If you struggle at centre back you'll struggle more in defensive midfield.

Yup. Quite a bit of this. He struggles with what's going on over his shoulder. Then you put him in midfield where there's even more going on around you.

I read "up to £50m" as including staggered payments, add ons etc. We did the deal for Maddison in such a way that we got a lot of money upfront, whilst foregoing significant add-ons. Fact is we are in a position to play hardball with our top talent right now, and we actually would WANT to stagger payments over several years to reduce the tax burden. Add ons based on success are easier to swallow for buying clubs than guaranteed payments because if they are triggered it means the player has already provided value for money. So, I see £40-50m including several substantial add-ons as quite realistic for an England under 21 captain with a full season performing well in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, GJP said:

Yup. Quite a bit of this. He struggles with what's going on over his shoulder. Then you put him in midfield where there's even more going on around you.

To counter that though, in a CDM role he would have 2 CBs in his ear telling him what's going on over his shoulder, and at least if his lack of awareness does lead to a mistake in the game he's not the last line before the keeper.   Just playing devils advocate here 

Now I'm getting abuse from Leeds fans for us "taking the ****" and "stifling his career" with valuing him at £50m.

a) it's a load of guff that Sky Sports have created.

b) why are they still so bitter about us?

c) we are free to value him what we like, he has a long contract with us.

d) I am not Stuart Webber or in any way involved in running Norwich City, why is it always directed at me?

They really are a horrible bunch aren't they?

Reminds me of the Robbie Brady deal we did a while ago when Hull asked for £15m supposedly after we had bid £2m and then we met in the middle.

• Like 1

This story is getting hammered on twitter and strangely a lot of Leeds fans commenting, one even said that if Godfrey is worth £50m then Ben White is worth £200m.

They don't even own Ben White as he's on loan from Brighton 🤷‍♂️

They're a strange bunch up there....

If McGuire is worth 80 million then of course Godfrey is worth 50 million......it’s purely a valuation placed upon a talent, who has a long term contract at our club. Godfrey in a Liverpool back four alongside Robertson, Van **** & Arnold, with would easily look like a 50 million pound defender. For one the opposition doesn’t have the ball enough to attack like they do against us, he’d have more time to recover and not be under constant pressure to defend.

In our team it’s easy to say he can’t be that good as we’ve conceded so many goals....well when you don’t have the players, we rely on an ageing Tettey or McClean to help out...

I’m sure Leicester or Newcastle could stump up the 25 million plus with add ons and he’d be gone.

Everyone else seems to have missed the obvious.  Godfrey's agency team includes Rio Ferdinand.  All this valuation talk is purely a plant by him, as I am sure he talks to journalists every day.  Agent's, and I include ex-players who do this, are just looking to enhance their share of future fees, they aren't worried about the player or clubs particularly. 

If I had my way I'd get rid of them all, kick Taylor out of the PFA and get that organisation to do a proper advisory job for players on contracts etc.  That way more money would stay in the game.

If a player with no PL experience was worth £25m back in 2018 (Maddison), then a first team regular in the PL this season is worth £50m

Maddison wasa goal scorer and clearly a massive, massive talent.

Godders has had limited PL experience in any case, and in a  notoriously leaky defence to boot.

Joke figure.

The whole game is awash with promising youngsters with England potential. Many without such clear flaws/things to learn.

£25m max PLUS hefty add-ons. Very hefty.

Edited by BroadstairsR

54 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

This story is getting hammered on twitter and strangely a lot of Leeds fans commenting, one even said that if Godfrey is worth £50m then Ben White is worth £200m.

They don't even own Ben White as he's on loan from Brighton 🤷‍♂️

They're a strange bunch up there....

honestly, they're getting ridiculous at the moment. I live nearby so know a lot of them. Had to leave a few WhatsApp groups recently as it is just getting stupid.