cambridgeshire canary

Godfrey- Worth £50 Million?

I think he is the best of the bunch in terms of what he could bring to a team. But the stats say he is part of a poor defence so £50M isn't fooling anyone. In fact it is harming the lads progress.

As I've said before, if Godfrey is worth £25m to £50m then we basically gave Maddison away at the price we got for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

As I've said before, if Godfrey is worth £25m to £50m then we basically gave Maddison away at the price we got for him.

We had to give Maddison away as we were up the creek without a paddle financially, plus we don't know (people have speculated) what any additional clauses were added to his sale, ie sell on fees.

Now we are not in the same financial mess and don't need to sell, we needed to sell Maddison, thats the difference.

Having said that we clearly will sell Godrey I suspect it will end up at around £25-30m. And that's based on the crazy number that is being discussed for Bellingham from Brum.

Norwich have said nothing at all.

The claim is Archant's. And no-one who makes such decisions at the club has rung up the EDP to say "...just to let you know we're going to demand £50 million for Ben Godfrey".

The problem is, if we do now sell him for £20 million, people will be on the clubs back saying, "....so much for them saying they wanted £50 million".

The fact we're briefing about prices already suggests we're open to selling him, just want to show we won't be soft touch. If we get £30m for him then that is a job well done IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Shuck said:

Norwich have said nothing at all.

The claim is Archant's. And no-one who makes such decisions at the club has rung up the EDP to say "...just to let you know we're going to demand £50 million for Ben Godfrey".

The problem is, if we do now sell him for £20 million, people will be on the clubs back saying, "....so much for them saying they wanted £50 million".

What have Archant got to do with it? The claim is on Sky Sports website unless I've missed something?

Also, whoever made the claim won't have just pulled a number out of thin air- I'd imagine someone at the club is giving an anonymous briefing out there to make sure interested clubs won't think we'll be open to selling on the cheap.

I think clubs tend to take a longer term view on players now. Commoli was saying he got sacked for signing Jordan Henderson for £20m at Liverpool (though it's probably Andy Carroll that really did for him). He's now been there nine years, played over 250 times and won the Chmapions League and the Premier League.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

As far as I'm aware, nobody has paid more for a player from the Championship that hasn't kicked a ball in the top flight than Leicester did for Madders. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

The fact we're briefing about prices already suggests we're open to selling him, just want to show we won't be soft touch. If we get £30m for him then that is a job well done IMO.

I think £30m would be a great price because whilst I'm sure he could be an England CB, he's only had a 'good' first season in the Prem individually as opposed to an excellent one.

Hoping the Rio hype etc really helps us get a good fee.

I also don't think the team misses him as much as others.

"up to £50million" is just media talk, you can bet your bottom dollar no one from the club has been quoted as saying "yeah we'll take 50million".  Also "up to" very ambiguous, a quid is in that bracket.  If we're honest we all know a bid of around the £20 million mark will probably see him gone.

This summer is going to be unusual in terms of transfers, I suspect a lot of loan deals will be done as opposed to permanent deals (in football in general not just Norwich), I'm not sure even the big clubs (Chelsea aside it seems), will be splashing big cash.

As I’ve said many times, the board has said that we have no need to sell players this summer. As our objective next season will almost certainly be to bounce straight back up, we will need to keep as strong a squad as possible so we are going to want as much money as possible for our first team regulars in order to replace them.

If players have/want to leave this summer, I can live with that as long as they go for good money. That does of course mean the club is going to have to divulge said figures which has not been their preference in the past.

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

If players have/want to leave this summer, I can live with that as long as they go for good money. That does of course mean the club is going to have to divulge said figures which has not been their preference in the past.

So you want the club to tell everyone how much they’ve got to spend ?

Its a great stance to take.

He won't go for that but we are effectively saying 'we don't need to sell, so be prepared not to get away with taking the p!ss'

Nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I don't think Webbers that stupid. He'll let the media speculate - us fans have no 'right' to this information, especially if it disadvantage us in the transfer market.

I would accept £30m  and throw in Cantwell in a bogof deal 

Edited by Uncle Fred

22 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

As I’ve said many times, the board has said that we have no need to sell players this summer. As our objective next season will almost certainly be to bounce straight back up, we will need to keep as strong a squad as possible so we are going to want as much money as possible for our first team regulars in order to replace them.

Agreed. Let's frame this post. There's no guarantee we will get replacements anywhere near as good, or indeed have them already. We know what is required to earn promotion from the Championship and we certainly won't achieve it with a weaker squad than we have now.

The current squad is not not strong for the EPL we know that, but it is good enough to get promotion. We absolutely cannot weaken it. If we have to sell we sell but at a totally unfair high price, then we invest every penny back into the first team.

Godfrey has been our best outfield player since the restart by quite a distance. As I keep pointing out every time there's talk of his possible transfer - Adam Webster went from Bristol City to Brighton for a fee of £20 million rising to £22 million. Webster was 24 at the time and had never played in the Premier League -that's the benchmark. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

We went up to the EPL and spent no money, it's obvious we've got some cash. Usually I would agree with that approach however after such a bad season and the potential of selling so many of our young exciting players, I think they may have to make an exception his time as the last thing the club needs is an additional level of negativity from the fans some of whom will assume that if we don't publicly state that we got good money that we've rolled over and sold too cheaply.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agreed. Let's frame this post. There's no guarantee we will get replacements anywhere near as good, or indeed have them already. We know what is required to earn promotion from the Championship and we certainly won't achieve it with a weaker squad than we have now.

The current squad is not not strong for the EPL we know that, but it is good enough to get promotion. We absolutely cannot weaken it. If we have to sell we sell but at a totally unfair high price, then we invest every penny back into the first team.

Absolutely not! We are where we are (by which I mean in the PL having won the Championship comfortably playing great football) because of buying under appreciated players and playing great academy youngsters. Do you seriously want to swap to spunking £25 million each on a couple of over-priced British players?

I may be in a minority but seeing him on occasions doing some midfield runs against Watford when we were chasing the game i wonder if we have missed a trick in using him as a CB as opposed to midfield. He is a box to box man for me good shot, decent in the air and bags of energy. As for the fee £50m is an awful lot of money for a CB in a defense that is bottom of the league and conceded so many goals. I am sure the best of him is  yet to come. Add to that we do not know the impact of COVID on the transfer market and TV funding. I cannot see anyone paying much more than £25 M with add ons at the moment

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I may be in a minority but seeing him on occasions doing some midfield runs against Watford when we were chasing the game i wonder if we have missed a trick in using him as a CB as opposed to midfield.

8A116206-4BBC-4A48-B96A-545E2D23BAAB.jpeg

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Absolutely not! We are where we are (by which I mean in the PL having won the Championship comfortably playing great football) because of buying under appreciated players and playing great academy youngsters. Do you seriously want to swap to spunking £25 million each on a couple of over-priced British players?

Where did I say 2 players at £25m? The board has said we don't need to sell so we won't.  If we weaken the squad then we won't be promoted unless we replace like for like. The goal is to return to the EPL immediately.

What do you think we will do with the money?

Ben's value and ability is still on the rise. Young and English with room to grow, and on long term contract. 

Sell him now for 50m, or keep him another year or two then sell him for 50m - sounds good to me.

The Maddison price thing - potentially we did sell him cheap, but sadly our hands were tied. This time they aren't - let's get a much as we can!

Edited by Decemberists

I would be surprised if we get £50m! He is not that good, perhaps in the future. I guess it will be nearer £12-15m with add ons.

He will be off soon.

Here we go again, if we do not sell at £50m we are "collapsing". Is it too much to ask that there is a proper discussion on this without the negativity?. Every season, in every professional league across the world there are situations where a player is valued at "x" and ends up being sold for "y", it really is nothing new. Like any other professional footballer Godfrey is worth what another club is prepared to pay for him, regardless of opinions on here, what the media say etc.........

14 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I may be in a minority but seeing him on occasions doing some midfield runs against Watford when we were chasing the game i wonder if we have missed a trick in using him as a CB as opposed to midfield. He is a box to box man for me good shot, decent in the air and bags of energy. As for the fee £50m is an awful lot of money for a CB in a defense that is bottom of the league and conceded so many goals. I am sure the best of him is  yet to come. Add to that we do not know the impact of COVID on the transfer market and TV funding. I cannot see anyone paying much more than £25 M with add ons at the moment

He is a midfielder not a defender. He would be a good defensive midfielder.

• Like 1