Tommo

£10m Cantwell to Sheff Utd... no chance

We will get whst the club thinks he is worth. Thats it. Nobody in their right mind thinks we will get more than Maddison. That boy was extra special and has proved it. Todd is good but not in the same class as Maddison.

Of course, £10M is stupid.

44 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Closed your eyes then when Buendia had the ball? 

I think that Buendia is a wonderfully skillful player, but the critical difference is he didn't (hasn't now) score any PL goals. With Maddison you "know" he's going to put one into the top corner.

I wonder If covid has affected valuations? Clubs might be a bit wary of paying lots of money when the outlook is so uncertain.

49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Closed your eyes then when Buendia had the ball? 

Oh Emi is pure class, I don't doubt that for a second. But Maddison's all-round contribution, consistency, attitude, ability to play in either a deeper or more advanced role, awareness of team-mates... and he scored a ton of goals too.

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I wonder If covid has affected valuations? Clubs might be a bit wary of paying lots of money when the outlook is so uncertain.

Fair point. Everyone will be cutting back a bit surely. 

46 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fair point. Everyone will be cutting back a bit surely. 

There's no sign of that happening. Maddison was individually the best player I've seen play for Norwich in terms of ability and he has proven himself in the EPL but still hasn't convinced Southgate. Cantwell has had his good year in the PL and has proved he can play against the better teams, without being  someone who controls the game - Personally I think he needs another season in the Championship dominating matches for us before he's in Maddison's class. But I suspect if we get a £20m+ offer he'll be off. In fact I think if we get £20m+ for anyone they'll be off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highland Canary said:

Given the relative wealth of the club’s owners the stage looks set for yet another firesale.

We have over 20 years of their awful ownership , the pattern is set.

i wish they would just do the decent and honourable thing and sell up and let the club move on.

the trouble is their level of narcissism will not let them do the right thing for the club 

5 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Given the relative wealth of the club’s owners the stage looks set for yet another firesale.

Based on what? We are external debt free. There are no more hidden clauses like paying Everton £1m for Naismith despite him leaving a couple of years ago. We've signed players already for next season. 

Look, let's make this clear. Having poor (by football standards) owners currently means we simply can't throw lots of money around. Not that we have to sell to keep the club going.

It's a dilemma, do you cash in for say £20 million+ or keep in the hope that you come straight back up. Remaining in the championship beyond next season will see all the better players leave for less money than you'd get now. 

Its possible that the Covid crises depresses transfer prices over the coming months, that is yet to be seen. I cannot see the TV companies paying out anywhere as much next season if there are no spectators. Almost everyone i have spoken to that have watched games say its been garbage and will not pay as much or at all to watch. On pre covid transfer prices  Cantwell has had an excellent season and scored 7 in a very poor side and against some top teams £25m upwards for a young English player would have been reasonable

Even Sheffield United fans are laughing at the price quoted.

Gist of the thread on their forum is they's love him but Norwich will ask for, and get, at least £20 million.