1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

You got a credit...

Can i redeem that credit against 5 places in the PUPs League table ?

This stuff about Tom is also "what might be". If the present days can teach us anything then it's that we can't predict the future.

Whatever might happen in the future subsequent events will happen.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Can i redeem that credit against 5 places in the PUPs League table ?

Nope 🙃

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

"In the modern game it shouldn't".   What does that mean?  Is it saying modern football is so f****d up that the only thing that matters is money and not the quaity or commitment of the owners of a family style club?   I would have thought it's even more important to have clubs like ours, where money is NOT the only requirement to having a successful club.

As for your second sentence, what the heck is wrong with handing on shares rather than trying to sell them?   If Tom gets them, he has the opportunity to continue the family style club that would disappear the instant the shares are sold to someone from outside the club. 

Family, community, self-sustainability......these are all things that are gradually starting to come back into fashion in all sorts of areas of life and frankly we should all be supportive of those kinds of values - the value of money will continue to become less and less.  You can see it now in football with so many clubs having so much money, but not actually doing very much better than they were before and in some cases a lot worse. 

We have a fantastic football club. The last nearly twenty five years have seen us evolve through huge ups and downs in fortunes on and off the field into a vibrant, modern, forward thinking, debt free, self sustaining club with a brilliant academy and plenty of really good young players ensuring the future will be bright. So what's not to like?  What's wrong with wanting that stability and excellent situation to continue?  Because we can't sustain a PL place? Well if we get another chance, we may well be in a better position to stay up - but then that has always been the plan.....but then some people don't even like having a plan, or refuse to accept there is one.

It's a bit sad that people are so against the idea of the owners passing on their shares to TS - after all passing family assets to a family member is a respectable thing to do. I think some of it is down to jealousy "why should he get them" I've seen written several times - well he is entitled to them, if that is what the owners want to do with them.  It's quite extrordinary that people would rather get the club sold off to someone who will not be a fan, who may only stay a few years and then sell on to another one who is not a fan and who may not have the well being of the club at heart.  What there is a real danger of, is that the club gradually declines, with huge debt building up, a loss of identity and ending up in League 1.  We've been there, we know what it's like - in huge debt and relegated to L1 - we don't need that again. Even if we went down to League 1 now under current ownership, we would still not be in debt and we would still have the ability to bounce back.

People need to be really careful what they wish for.  There are no guarantees in football, but there is one thing that will help us in the modern game - keeping our identity - and that means keeping the club run in the same kind of way that it is now. Selling out to nearly anyone is something we should not be considering. There are no super fans with millions like Brighton have - but that would be the one thing that might be a good option if one could be found - but it won't, because they don't exist.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

Get off your high horse Lakey.......first it doesn’t matter to me as I cat be bothered to complain......I have zero power to change things, so it doesn’t matter who owns my club!

Second, if the owners were really so focused on the best for the club, they wouldn’t have made that decision two years ago and public ally broadcast that the fans can like it or lump it! Surely it’s best to see what options are on the table before treating the community club as if it’s something of their own, they are majority shareholders and have a duty to the city to ensure the best for the club.

You might think handing it down like a Victorian sideboard  is OK, that’s fine I think I’m entitled to think differently. But like I said I couldn’t give a toss as I have absolutely no say in anything the same as anyone else on this forum.

8 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Absolute and utter nonsense, having no debt does not drive the cost up at all, quite the opposite. If someone is buying a business, if that business is saddled with debt, the first thing you are doing is purchasing that debt.  For example our dishevelled neighbours down the A140, you might be able to buy them for a ridiculous fee of say £1 , but your true purchase cost is over £100million as that is what Evans is owed, then the cost of running the club are significantly higher before they even look at investment in the playing field as they have to pay large amounts of rent for their ground, hence why they will be totally unable to sell their club to anyone other than these slush fund type groups.

Anyone buying a business, looks at the assets, the net worth etc.  People like you and this Moss chap seem to be under the illusions that the only types of owners are Man City level owners, dodgy foreign types (Venkys etc), or the likes of Delia.  You seem to think, (or want) that football clubs need to be owned by fans of the club like in the good old days (Delia wasn't a fan pre 1997 BTW, although Michael was).   A majority of the clubs in the top 2 leagues are now owned by businessmen/groups that are of the financial levels that people like you claim do not exist, or want to get involved in football.  Clubs, similar sizes to us, have managed to find investors to make them more competitive on the playing front, we can't because Delia won't even entertain the idea.  Do these people exist? Who knows? Delia certainly doesn't, and if we think Tom Smith is the answer then we're in for a nasty reality check.  The worry of course when Tom takes over is he isn't the "beloved nation treasure from the tele", so won't be protected from fans complaints in the way Delia is.

Finally, you again make the ludicrous notion that fans are supposed to have in depth knowledge of the investment world to come up with names, as if we're suggesting a new manager, that counter argument is utterly laughable, would you have even considered Delia Smith before Watling asked her and Michael to get invovled?

Wow, what a burst of hot air. A majority of the clubs in the top 2 leagues are now owned by businessmen/groups that are of the financial levels that people like you claim do not exist, or want to get involved in football.  Clubs, similar sizes to us, have managed to find investors to make them more competitive on the playing front, we can't because Delia won't even entertain the idea. In case you haven't noticed the majority of clubs in the top two divisions are below City now, were below City last season and less compitive than City.

Tony Bloom is on record that it cost him £200 million to get Brighton where they are today. If you think there is a queue of "businessmen/group" with that level of funding and the willingness to invest that in a provincial mid-size football club please point them out and we can all get behind them. Until then you are just a fantasist chasing unicorns.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This stuff about Tom is also "what might be". If the present days can teach us anything then it's that we can't predict the future.

Whatever might happen in the future subsequent events will happen.

He blew it when he brokered the Galway Roast sponsorship deal. We all got an insight into his business acumen with that “performance”.

Although I should say that his personal wealth could, in all probability, be relatively equivalent to that of Delia and Michael. 

What would it take to invite someone to pull up a chair and join the board in exchange for an investment to move the club forward not necessarily buy the club lock,stock and barrel ?

4 hours ago, lappinitup said:

Another line being towed.

Where are you towing them to and what are you doing with them?

Another one with a good eddikashun. Just off to clip my tow nails 😇👍😉

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

to whatever Gonzos was called when it was really shady and open until 6am😂

Fun. I believe. 

59 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

What would it take to invite someone to pull up a chair and join the board in exchange for an investment to move the club forward not necessarily buy the club lock,stock and barrel ?

Good point. Burnley have 5 such Directors on their Board who each own 3%. It has served them well.

20 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Havana’s 

That's right! God, that brings back some rather hazy memories.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Brown envelope  stuffed with cash and no interest in controlling  the Club.?

I've  been told there are  11 golden jewel encrusted  footballs hidden somewhere  on Mousehold. 

You may have more luck finding one of them.

In all seriousness  though , it  would be ideal, money but with the brakes held on a bit  by our current   board. 

Is Rick Parry reading this thread?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53341269

Roan: Does this all show that the ownership rules need to be tightened?

Parry: "It's no use just talking about owners' and directors' tests as if that is going to solve all of the problems. You really need to go back to why did we end up with Chinese owners in the lower reaches of the Championship in the first place?

"Why can we not have community owned, sustainable clubs? That goes for all the structural issues that I have been telling anybody who will listen, and most people who won't listen, for the past x number of months, from the select committee onwards.

"The Championship is a financial nonsense. We've got clubs spending 107% of their income on wages, we've got the major distortion of parachute payments, we've got £400m of owner-funding required - £16m per Championship club. There are owners gambling on getting into the Premier League, it's unsustainable.

"We need to make our clubs sustainable - we shouldn't be relying on random foreign owners."

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BigFish said:

Wow, what a burst of hot air. A majority of the clubs in the top 2 leagues are now owned by businessmen/groups that are of the financial levels that people like you claim do not exist, or want to get involved in football.  Clubs, similar sizes to us, have managed to find investors to make them more competitive on the playing front, we can't because Delia won't even entertain the idea. In case you haven't noticed the majority of clubs in the top two divisions are below City now, were below City last season and less compitive than City.

Tony Bloom is on record that it cost him £200 million to get Brighton where they are today. If you think there is a queue of "businessmen/group" with that level of funding and the willingness to invest that in a provincial mid-size football club please point them out and we can all get behind them. Until then you are just a fantasist chasing unicorns.   

Its surely relevant though that Brighton were playing in an athletics stadium in front of about 7,000 fans and were pretty sh*t. As stated elsewhere, we are kind of "oven ready" or indeed are currently "in the oven."

11 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Is Rick Parry reading this thread?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53341269

Roan: Does this all show that the ownership rules need to be tightened?

Parry: "It's no use just talking about owners' and directors' tests as if that is going to solve all of the problems. You really need to go back to why did we end up with Chinese owners in the lower reaches of the Championship in the first place?

"Why can we not have community owned, sustainable clubs? That goes for all the structural issues that I have been telling anybody who will listen, and most people who won't listen, for the past x number of months, from the select committee onwards.

"The Championship is a financial nonsense. We've got clubs spending 107% of their income on wages, we've got the major distortion of parachute payments, we've got £400m of owner-funding required - £16m per Championship club. There are owners gambling on getting into the Premier League, it's unsustainable.

"We need to make our clubs sustainable - we shouldn't be relying on random foreign owners."

This should be sent out to every fan who thinks we are on the wrong track.

14 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Havana’s 

14 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

That's right! God, that brings back some rather hazy memories.

Shadiest thing about that place was how packed it always was, definitely not safe. And being told it was "full" wasn't an issue if you slipped the bouncer a tenner each. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Shadiest thing about that place was how packed it always was, definitely not safe. And being told it was "full" wasn't an issue if you slipped the bouncer a tenner each. 

And those stairs up to the roof terrace with the rope running up the side... I saw soooo many people f**k over on those.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This should be sent out to every fan who thinks we are on the wrong track.

And yet not only has he stood by and let it happen, he is powerless to stop it. If he can't beat 'em, we have to join 'em.

18 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

And those stairs up to the roof terrace with the rope running up the side... I saw soooo many people f**k over on those.

One of my mates got turned away for being too drunk- you know you're really ****ed if even Havana's won't let you in.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

True.The thing is we will probably never know just how much of a closed shop Delia has made of our club over the years.

She does seem to be rather over-possessive, whilst hiding behind that extra large yellow and green rosette.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

One of my mates got turned away for being too drunk- you know you're really ****ed if even Havana's won't let you in.

He must have been unconscious.

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

True.The thing is we will probably never know just how much of a closed shop Delia has made of our club over the years.

She does seem to be rather over-possessive, whilst hiding behind that extra large yellow and green rosette.

Also, she does seem to like the celebrity life-style that owning a football club  continues to evoke, even though she has long outlasted the allure and connections that being a tv chef afforded her.

There's been a constant succession of the famous:

Stephen Fry – Stephen was appointed to the Norwich City board back in 2010, and often attends matches (when his busy hollywood schedule allows) and can often be seen tweeting about events at the club and on those match days when he can’t attend.

Jake Humphrey – Sporting fanatic and television presenter Jake Humphrey is from the East, and went to University in Norwich, he is a huge fan of the club and gets involved in matters at the club whenever he gets the chance (and isn’t presenting F1 or otherwise).

Simon Thomas – Local lad, former Blue Peter and current Sky Sports News presenter Simon Thomas is not only a lifelong fanatic of the club, but is vice-president of the Norwich Supporters Trust.

The Darkness – A band who you either love, or, like the majority of people, find mind-numbingly annoying (sorry), but the local lads are big fans of Norwich City Football Club and have even talked about recording a song for the club (cringe).

Sir David Frost OBE – David Frost began his career as a presenter on ITV, which is local to Norwich. He had confirmed in his later years that he was a fan of the Canaries.

Hugh Jackman – Perhaps the strangest on the list, and another Hollywood actor to join the Norwich fanclub. The Australian star of the ‘Wolverine’ films has a mother from Norfolk and has talked in interviews about his love for the club, perhaps Wolverine might be able to do a job for the club in a Roy Keane style midfield role.

Myleen Klass – The popstar and talented musician as well as classical composer is another from Norfolk and is said to be a supporter of the Yellows.

And, of course, Ed Balls.

As a socialite, even Guislaine Maxwell might pick up some tips from our Delia.

Any more to add? 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Why was Tom Smith appointed to the board other than an avenue to pass on the club within the family. No money to put in, no knowledge of football finance ( at the time of his appointment ) no contacts in the world of football , very little evidence that he is a raging success in the world of business ( does anybody actually know anything about his photographic business ? )but merely given a chair to sit on.

That shows to me anyway what the intention was from the day of his appointment. Please don't tell me that somewhere out there there was not a local businessman better qualified to fit in.

Stephan Philips appointed back in 2010 when CEO at Archant at a time when the club were starting to get an uncomfortable ride in the local press following the drop into League One. Taken on board to sing from the club hymn sheet maybe and put a stop to the negativity creeping down from the top of Rouen Road ?

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Why was Tom Smith appointed to the board other than an avenue to pass on the club within the family. No money to put in, no knowledge of football finance ( at the time of his appointment ) no contacts in the world of football but merely given a chair to sit on.

That shows to me anyway what the intention was from the day of his appointment. Please don't tell me that somewhere out there there was not a local businessman to fit in.

Stephan Philips appointed back in 2010 when CEO at Archant at a time when the club were starting to get an uncomfortable ride in the local press following the drop into League One. Taken on board to sing from the club hymn sheet maybe and put a stop to the negativity creeping down from the top of Rouen Road ?

I don't think Delia and Michael would pretend there was any other reason, would they? It's their shareholding, and they want to keep it in their family. Wouldn't you do the same if you had something extremely valuable that you cared about?

As for your theory about Stephan Phillips, again I don't think that's a huge stretch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was in the board's thinking when they appointed him.

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think Delia and Michael would pretend there was any other reason, would they? It's their shareholding, and they want to keep it in their family. Wouldn't you do the same if you had something extremely valuable that you cared about?

As for your theory about Stephan Phillips, again I don't think that's a huge stretch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was in the board's thinking when they appointed him.

Not only that, but it's giving Tom 'on the job' experience without the responsibility at the moment. Remember, most new prospective owners won't have owned a football club before, he will, in theory, be better experienced to do so than a lot of them!

This isnt a 'Tom should take over the club' post, because I don't know anything about him so couldn't comment, but it doesn't stop the above being true.

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

That is 2 people on the board then appointed to sing from her hymn sheet . You are more or less saying she can do whatever she wants with scant regard to the views of 6,000 shareholders who hold 47% .

Edited by TIL 1010

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Its surely relevant though that Brighton were playing in an athletics stadium in front of about 7,000 fans and were pretty sh*t. As stated elsewhere, we are kind of "oven ready" or indeed are currently "in the oven."

Very true, @Jim Smith. Bloom is a fan and had the money to indulge himself. There are a number of points this raises. Firstly, if you are willing to burn through £200 million (with no return) it is possible to get a club with no ground, few fans and a crap team into the Prem and keep them there for a while. Secondly, that investment is already baked into City (or at least some of it). If one of this mythical business men/groups wanted to buy City what would the purchase price be? I would suggest upwards from £100 million which limits the market already. And that is before the so called "investment" to take the club to "the next level". How much extra is that - probably another £100 million? Thirdly, are there any City fans who could raise these sort of figures without any expectation of a financial reward. Fourthly, why would any "investors" offer this sort of a figure for a provincial mid-sized football club that needs a new stand. I have always thought that Cambridge would be a better option for a glamour investor in the region. Cheap to buy, world renowned city, close to an international airport, an hour from London & booming economy. They could be in the Prem with a shiney new 40,000 capacity stadium within three years with £200 million.