Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

...aaaaaaand breathe.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I wouldn't agree with that. I agree that we are accepting of being relegated. I think most fans reasonably went into this season thinking if relegation happened, it would be understandable. 

I don't think anyone expected to be relegated. I expected us to put up a good fight. We definitely haven't done that.

I think some did. It hurts but here’s hoping one day lessons are learnt and here’s to a good campaign next season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not until you get back in position and start pulling your weight.

… and I never did (and that is probably why I hated them).

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I feel bad about saying this but I think our defence will be better if we sell Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis. No doubt they all have huge potential but none defend well enough and it’s just disastrous as a combination.

Hanley, Zimmerman, Byram and one kid (Lewis or the cov lad) will be stronger and more able to cope in championship 

But those three did very well in the Championship before, didn't they? A lot of fans were raving about how three of our back four were products of our own Academy and we were top of the league. They'll have two years' more experience under their belts next season.

They've been exposed horrendously this year, and it obviously hasn't helped their development, but I wouldn't be seeking to sell all three of them. I would be surprised if at least one of them isn't snapped up by a bigger club, but if they wanted to stay then I'd be delighted.

15 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not sure I agree with that. We got Maddison out the door very early and had most of our new players signed by the start of July. Many people commented at the time how proactive Webber's approach to the close season is compared to those windows of old where Doomcaster or McNally were still trying to force through any old deal to fill the squad on deadline day.

Obviously pre-season will be shorter, and that will be an issue for everyone.

I'm worried that we have a few young players; Max, Ben, Emi and Todd who I would love to keep, but are likely to leave. Lose them all on the last day or towards the end of the window and it will be difficult to replace them no matter how much money we get. We have an unprecedented crop of youngsters, which is great but I just can't see the club turning down any big bids. They're are so vitally important to us.

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I feel bad about saying this but I think our defence will be better if we sell Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis. No doubt they all have huge potential but none defend well enough and it’s just disastrous as a combination.

Hanley, Zimmerman, Byram and one kid (Lewis or the cov lad) will be stronger and more able to cope in championship 

I agree with that. Klose/Hanley is up for debate (both probably capable at Champs level) but the point stands. Byram will be awesome at Champs level and defensively we look a lot stronger when he's in the team.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm worried that we have a few young players; Max, Ben, Emi and Todd who I would love to keep, but are likely to leave. Lose them all on the last day or towards the end of the window and it will be difficult to replace them no matter how much money we get. We have an unprecedented crop of youngsters, which is great but I just can't see the club turning down any big bids. They're are so vitally important to us.

There are rumours (unsubstantiated, I know) that Aarons to Spurs is already a done deal. I wouldn't be surprised if two or three players leave relatively early after the season ends (one or two of Godfrey, Cantwell or Buendia as well as Aarons), but the others stay. Plus, now we know we'll be in the Championship, the option of a season-long loan back becomes a possibility again.

Edited by Feedthewolf

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

But those three did very well in the Championship before, didn't they? A lot of fans were raving about how three of our back four were products of our own Academy and we were top of the league. They'll have two years' more experience under their belts next season.

They've been exposed horrendously this year, and it obviously hasn't helped their development, but I wouldn't be seeking to sell all three of them. I would be surprised if at least one of them isn't snapped up by a bigger club, but if they wanted to stay then I'd be delighted.

I've mentioned before - I've heard Aarons to Spurs has been done since Feb. Absolutely trust that info 100%. Cantwell to Liverpool was in the works but not a done deal and don't know where that's at now. 

Would be totally unsurprised to see Godfrey go to Man United. Maguire and Godfrey is a very complementary partnerships in terms of strengths and Rio Ferdinand is BG's agent. 

If we lose both of those two, then I'd be reluctant to see Jamal go too, but we spent a decent sum (by our standards) on McCallum so we obviously rate the lad.

Today's starting 11 was 2 different from the one which ended last season v Villa. 

The 2 players missing would have played if they were fit, we really miss Zimmerman, we don't win many games he doesn't play. 

The management have wanted us to try to survive on what we already had. 

I can understand why they have done it, we're in a massively better position than when Webber started. Farke has the ability to make good players out of kids and cast offs. 

I look forward to another rebuild. 

34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yep, I'm with FTW, very apt thread title. 

Plenty of positives when you look forward to next season, Martin looks good, Idah will do well in the championship, Pukki will find his touch again, Vrancic, Hernandez, any of the youngsters that stay, Krul, Zimmermann and Hanley back fully fit, Klose to hopefully stay (but know he might not), Duda going back to his home club, Drmic to find some form, the club as a whole healthy financially, a furtther improvement to Farkeball and getting it functioning at it's best again. Webber to find one oir two gems again.  

Really, difficult as this season has been in every way, we can think there is something to look forward to.  Shame 1p5wich won't be there to get six points from, but that is the only negative I can see.

Trouble is Lakey with the pandemic spikes we are seeing not only in the UK but across the world I don't see crowds being allowed to return to football stadiums at all for a season due to start in August or September. Whilst many want to witness what you advocate, will the club remain in the healthy position you speak of. Will football continue in the vein of restart? The ride is going to be very very tough indeed for all supporters.

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I agree with that. Klose/Hanley is up for debate (both probably capable at Champs level) but the point stands. Byram will be awesome at Champs level and defensively we look a lot stronger when he's in the team.

There's a bit of a Catch-22 here. Last season, the strengths of Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey stood out because we were on the front foot so often. We were successful playing attacking football, even though we did get found out a bit at the back.

This season, those strengths have largely been nullified, and the weaknesses (largely strength and positioning) have been ruthlessly exposed. I guess it's up to Farke whether he thinks it's worth switching up his style to be more defensively solid, in the hope that this will serve us better at the top level should we go up again.

But if we do that, what message does it send to those players (Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey included) who have been nurtured over three years to play that system and style? It's a dilemma, for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I thought Aarons was superb last season but his size has really been his weakness this season and I think he is easily bullied. I don't think that Lewis has a football brain / enough quality to his attacking play  (just having a good engine to 'be forward' doesn't make him good enough at attacking, he often makes the wrong / the easy pass when he is forward) and Godfrey has everything, apart from the natural defensive knowledge and positional play - physically and technically he is there.

I think (in almost reverse of what I thought at the start of the season) that Godfrey has the best chance, if he can be coached to be a better defender and Lewis and Aarons may struggle to 'make it' at a big club.

If we could just combine the best parts of them all, we'd have one hell of a player!

Edit, for clarity, I think they are easily good enough for us next season and I would be delighted if we kept them all. I was just discussing their chances to succeed at a 'big club'.

Edited by All the Germans

Gosh! Some folks seriously are labeling Pukki now as lost case? Quite a short way from being one of the top scorers of league earlier in season to not having enough in Championship... and still being involved in over 50% of goals we have scored this season!

I'm very confident he'll be scoring for fun for us next season again. Unless he is snatched by some Prem club. Confidence and form may take dips, but the quality does not get lost in couple of slow months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Gosh! Some folks seriously are labeling Pukki now as lost case? Quite a short way from being one of the top scorers of league earlier in season to not having enough in Championship... and still being involved in over 50% of goals we have scored this season!

I'm very confident he'll be scoring for fun for us next season again. Unless he is snatched by some Prem club. Confidence and form may take dips, but the quality does not get lost in couple of slow months.

We tend to forget he scored 11 goals prior to everything going to pot.

3 minutes ago, hepphep said:

I can understand people being negative given how awful our performances have been since the restart. I thought Pukki had his poorest game of the whole season today, but that doesn't mean he has lost it. The morale and form in the whole squad is rock bottom, but if Teemu wants to stay with us then I'm confident he will regain his goalscoring form next season. I doubt he will hit 30 again, but he'll still be up there.

25 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Byram is certainly capable, but he’s managed to be fit for only a couple of months this season - with him I don’t think it’s ability that we need to worry about, more how we get a decent run of games out of him.

17 minutes ago, hepphep said:

I think the concern mainly stems from the fact he's not been a consistent goalscorer throughout his career- so there is a worry that his purple patch has just come to an end. Won't know until next season though.

At a time of crisis you need strong leadership at the club, how often have we heard from the stowmarket 2 over the past few months in these unprecedented times

their very passive ownership of the club is one of the many huge problems the club faces. I am thinking about sending in Gordon Ramsey in his new series? Football nightmares 

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Byram is certainly capable, but he’s managed to be fit for only a couple of months this season - with him I don’t think it’s ability that we need to worry about, more how we get a decent run of games out of him.

Agree 100% with this.

He looks a fantastic acquisition when he plays but his injury record explains why we got him so cheaply. I somehow get the feeling he’ll be another Matt Jarvis but probably not so costly financially.

13 hours ago, king canary said:

I think the concern mainly stems from the fact he's not been a consistent goalscorer throughout his career- so there is a worry that his purple patch has just come to an end. Won't know until next season though.

Hmm.. When in his career he was not consistent goal scorer? This season has been his worse since 15-16 when he only scored in average of once per three games. Even in his lots critized Celtic visit his average was scoring per each 171 minutes he played. Even in his darkest career moment he scored once for every two games. Even in his worst Bundesliga season years back he scored a goal per each 145 minutes he played. 

I know that his inconsistency does come up every now and then, but season stats for long period does not support that at all. I remember him having some dry month or two in some earlier seasons back then, but always coming back, and that is common for about all strikers out there. 

9 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I would like us to treat the last five games as our pre season and give some of the youngsters and fringe players a run out where we can.........

Judging by the results and performances, I think we treated the previous five games as pre-season too... 😉

• Haha 1

It looks like the Champs season is starting either 29th August or 12th September, which isn’t that far away (and a couple ose season of c1 month).   I’m not sure how clubs will play it - for us, there’s certainly something to be said for using these coming games as glorified practice matches, protecting some players as we certainly don’t want injuries going into the new season.  

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It looks like the Champs season is starting either 29th August or 12th September, which isn’t that far away (and a couple ose season of c1 month).   I’m not sure how clubs will play it - for us, there’s certainly something to be said for using these coming games as glorified practice matches, protecting some players as we certainly don’t want injuries going into the new season.  

Absolutely, it's a free hit. I'm all for playing these last four games like pre-season. Under normal circumstances, with a full house of fans, you would never be able to get away with it; under these circumstances, however, it seems inherently logical.

17 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not until you get back in position and start pulling your weight.

Post/thread of the day so far, no offence ATG , yours was good but Wolfo made me choke on my mcvities  plain choc digestive. You're  playing a blinder lately Wolfo, we need to make sure some forum with real ambition doesnt poach you. You will be vital to maintaining balance if god forbid we lose a game next season.  

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Post/thread of the day so far, no offence ATG , yours was good but Wolfo made me choke on my mcvities  plain choc digestive. You're  playing a blinder lately Wolfo, we need to make sure some forum with real ambition doesnt poach you. You will be vital to maintaining balance if god forbid we lose a game next season.  

Not to worry corky because the forum is in a position where it doesn't need to sell. If FTW goes it'll be on our terms.

£50 million for FTW?

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Not to worry corky because the forum is in a position where it doesn't need to sell. If FTW goes it'll be on our terms.

£50 million for FTW?

I'm sure there are some on here who would like to see me loaned out to a forum in the Dutch second tier.

4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

£50 million for FTW?

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm sure there are some on here who would like to see me loaned out to a forum in the Dutch second tier.

Maybe , but for your positive and yet realistic attitude , its Sloughbottom park  for you my lad.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Maybe , but for your positive and yet realistic attitude , its Sloughbottom park  for you my lad.

I've already done my time at Sloughbottom, we moved 'upmarket' to Eaton Park after a couple of years. Pitches were still covered in bobbles, broken glass and dogshít, though.