Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

...aaaaaaand breathe.

I'm hoping this thread gets more replies that whatever cack Keith Scott decides to post in the next half an hour.

Now we can all accept that our campaign is completely, utterly, 100% finished, can we all take a few deep breaths? Nothing else matters a huge amount until our first game of the Championship season.

There may well be four more defeats to stomach. There will be ins, there will be outs. There will be soundbites, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If there's sufficient movement among the fans to try to oust Delia & Michael / Webber / Farke / whoever, now's the time to nail your colours to the mast, start the recruitment drive and make your voices heard. 

Otherwise, let's all just take a step back, accept that we are where we are, and have some sensible discussions about where we go from here. Post-season starts now.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm hoping this thread gets more replies that whatever cack Keith Scott decides to post in the next half an hour.

Now we can all accept that our campaign is completely, utterly, 100% finished, can we all take a few deep breaths? Nothing else matters a huge amount until our first game of the Championship season.

There may well be four more defeats to stomach. There will be ins, there will be outs. There will be soundbites, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If there's sufficient movement among the fans to try to oust Delia & Michael / Webber / Farke / whoever, now's the time to nail your colours to the mast, start the recruitment drive and make your voices heard. 

Otherwise, let's all just take a step back, accept that we are where we are, and have some sensible discussions about where we go from here. Post-season starts now.

Time for the Stowmarket 2 to say something 😂

Looking forward to next season. Just wish we didnt have to put up with the rest of this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, yellow_belly said:

Time for the Stowmarket 2 to say something 😂

Riiiiight. Thanks for that. Anything further to add?

Just now, hogesar said:

Looking forward to next season. Just wish we didnt have to put up with the rest of this season. 

It's bloody awful, isn't it. Can't even get that excited about Idah and Martin coming on, as we're just so totally bereft of any kind of confidence you just worry for them really. Next season can't come soon enough.

I'm always thinking ahead anyway FTW. Looking forward not back. It's over and we've fallen badly short. Yet, it's an experience that might be good for some players. I'm already looking towards a new set of players though. Martin looked decent in his brief cameo.

OTBC.

Well, pre-season for next season starts now. Identify who is staying, and nurture them.

This is the ceiling of the club with our current owners and that is the fact of the matter. It won’t be possible to establish ourselves without investment. I’ve accepted that.

Just now, sonyc said:

I'm always thinking ahead anyway FTW. Looking forward not back. It's over and we've fallen badly short. Yet, it's an experience that might be good for some players. I'm already looking towards a new set of players though. Martin looked decent in his brief cameo.

OTBC.

I think we need to look back at the lessons we've learnt from this season, and if we do manage to get up again next season then we'll certainly need to modify our approach if we're going to stay up.

I just want a couple of months to forget about this season and focus on the cricket... Test match starts tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Well, pre-season for next season starts now. Identify who is staying, and nurture them.

This is the ceiling of the club with our current owners and that is the fact of the matter. It won’t be possible to establish ourselves without investment. I’ve accepted that.

It won't be impossible, but it will be very, very tough. I certainly think we have a chance of coming straight back up, and if we're prepared to spend a bit of money in the right areas and avoid another ridiculous injury crisis, we could survive. A lot of ifs and buts there, though.

Yep, I'm with FTW, very apt thread title. 

Plenty of positives when you look forward to next season, Martin looks good, Idah will do well in the championship, Pukki will find his touch again, Vrancic, Hernandez, any of the youngsters that stay, Krul, Zimmermann and Hanley back fully fit, Klose to hopefully stay (but know he might not), Duda going back to his home club, Drmic to find some form, the club as a whole healthy financially, a furtther improvement to Farkeball and getting it functioning at it's best again. Webber to find one oir two gems again.  

Really, difficult as this season has been in every way, we can think there is something to look forward to.  Shame 1p5wich won't be there to get six points from, but that is the only negative I can see.

Relegation should be official on Saturday.

For me, Aarons can go if we get offered big money for him. He's a great player but Byram is more than capable. Same goes for Cantwell. Hernandez is excellent at Champs level and Josh Martin sniffing around the first team too.

Critical we hold on to Buendia and Krul for me.

Pukki, I hate to say it, but I think he's shot. He's lost that instinctive finishing that made him so deadly last season. Hopefully he can get his mojo back but I do worry it's gone for good. We certainly need alternate options, and Drmic ain't the answer. Idah is definitely in the convo but I do think we probably need one more up top (and to ship Drmic out).

We could do with some bite in midfield. Kenny can go as far as I'm concerned, jack of all trades, master of none. Looks like that Danish lad might be lined up to fill Tettey's boots.

We also need to bring in a strong leader. A Bradley Johnson/Grant Holt/Malky type. We've got a lot of quiet players and we need that kind of character in the dressing room imo.

Most of the squad is probably fine to be honest. Personally cannot wait for next season. I hate the Prem. So dull unless you're in the top 6 or throwing money at it like Wolves (and even then no guarantees, see Villa. A). No VAR, proper grounds with proper fans and none of this pointless fighting to finish 15th or 16th as if it's some magnificent achievement. Rather be big fish in a small pond than vice versa.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

Farke needs to have a long hard look at this squad. Personally I think we're well short on terms of winning the Championship. 

Trouble is we'll go right to the wire in the transfer window in terms of who will leave and we need every bit of pre season training possible to get new players to gel.

Relegation was widely anticipated by most on here, but the manner of it has been more damaging than we thought.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Relegation was widely anticipated by most on here, but the manner of it has been more damaging than we thought.

Yep, this sums it up. I am happy to go down, I expected to go down, I was clear we would go down from about October.... I can deal with all that. What I struggle to reconcile is the utterly gutless displays we've put in week in and weekout this season. I don't mind losing but the strecth from October-Dec and since the restart has been damning.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

A sensible and well reasoned post from a sensible and well reasoned poster.

For me, I think we need to acknowledge the failures of this season. There have been many. Recruitment. Tactics. Team selection. Game management. 

Although little has gone right, we have seen the emergence of Todd Cantwell, a player who last season was vilified as being too weak, not quick enough, not skillful enough. A player often compared unfavourably to Emi Buendia. Now we have a player who is consistently linked to Liverpool and Arsenal and spoken about alongside Tim Krul as our player of the season.

Efforts should be made to keep our best players and give us the best chances to come back up. I would like to see Emi and Todd stay in particular, and the side built around them. Players should be sold only when offers of a substantial amount are made. We then need to work on our problem areas.

We need a defensive midfielder capable of replacing Tettey and we need a striker capable of replacing Teemu Pukki if, as I think it is reasonable to fear, he has proven to be a season and a half wonder. I would also sign a central defender. We need someone capable of sorting out the mess at the back that has consistently plagued us. If that means moving on one of Hanley, Klose, Zimm or Godfrey, then so be it. 

I would allow Leitner (regrettably, I like him), Heise, Drmic and Rupp (although I acknowledge this last one won't happen) to go. 

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farke needs to have a long hard look at this squad. Personally I think we're well short on terms of winning the Championship. 

Trouble is we'll go right to the wire in the transfer window in terms of who will leave and we need every bit of pre season training possible to get new players to gel.

Not sure I agree with that. We got Maddison out the door very early and had most of our new players signed by the start of July. Many people commented at the time how proactive Webber's approach to the close season is compared to those windows of old where Doomcaster or McNally were still trying to force through any old deal to fill the squad on deadline day.

Obviously pre-season will be shorter, and that will be an issue for everyone.

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

We also need to bring in a strong leader. A Bradley Johnson/Grant Holt/Malky type. We've got a lot of quiet players and we need that kind of character in the dressing room imo.

Hanley is absolutely a leader, and has more than enough to be our captain next season. Zimbo also is a hyper-competitive guy (another player said in an interview that Zimbo was the most competitive guy he'd ever met!), and seems to be intelligent and respected in the dressing room.

A big, strong and vocal replacement for Tettey could be the key ingredient.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hanley is absolutely a leader, and has more than enough to be our captain next season. Zimbo also is a hyper-competitive guy (another player said in an interview that Zimbo was the most competitive guy he'd ever met!), and seems to be intelligent and respected in the dressing room.

A big, strong and vocal replacement for Tettey could be the key ingredient.

Hanely is that kind of character, agreed. Zimbo is a leader but more in the quiet/thoughtful mold - a bit like Pukki I guess. He doesn't strike me as a "rally the troops" kind of guy. Could be wrong of course. Feel we need more Hanley types.

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Blah blah blah (good lord I write a lot)

Forgot the main point! Farke needs to learn from this. We need to adopt man marking for set pieces. We need to learn to be better organised. He needs to react sooner when a game isn't going our way. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich fans accept and expected to be relegated again. It’s quite sad really when you think about it. 

What's quite sad for me, is the fact the Prem is such a stale and malignant product. Top 6 compete for the league. Everybody else hopes to be mid-table. Everybody sets up to avoid defeat for 80% of games rather going out to win. It's so boring.

The sooner the big boys FO and create a European super-league and leave the rest of us to enjoy proper football, the better imo.

• Like 2

Just now, kick it off said:

Hanely is that kind of character, agreed. Zimbo is a leader but more in the quiet/thoughtful mold - a bit like Pukki I guess. He doesn't strike me as a "rally the troops" kind of guy. Could be wrong of course. Feel we need more Hanley types.

When I played - admittedly at an incredibly low level - I hated those guys, the ones who shouted and screamed pointless cliches to try to rally us. They never inspired anyone. Ever. I preferred someone who lead by example - like I expect Zimmerman does - than a screamer.

Just now, All the Germans said:

When I played - admittedly at an incredibly low level - I hated those guys, the ones who shouted and screamed pointless cliches to try to rally us. They never inspired anyone. Ever. I preferred someone who lead by example - like I expect Zimmerman does - than a screamer.

Can appreciate what you're saying but we have too many indians and too few chiefs at the moment. Farke isn't the hairdryer type, and someone needs to hold players accountable. It doesn't need to be a screamer, but it needs to be someone vocal and assured.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

"YELLOW HEAD ON THIS"

"WHO WAAAARNUT?"

"WE'VE GONE QUAAAAAART"

"FIRSTS AND SECONDS"

"TIME... TIME... MAN ON!"

"GET STUCK IN"

"BOX 'EM IN!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

"YELLOW HEAD ON THIS"

"WHO WAAAARNUT?"

"WE'VE GONE QUAAAAAART"

"FIRSTS AND SECONDS"

"TIME... TIME... MAN ON!"

"GET STUCK IN"

"BOX 'EM IN!"

Please stop!

Again with hindsight perhaps it have been so much kinder if the season had been abandoned and we'd been put out of our misery on PPG.

Since the restart its been like watching a favourite pet sliding downhill but not wanting to do the right thing and to take it to the vets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Please stop!

Not until you get back in position and start pulling your weight.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich fans accept and expected to be relegated again. It’s quite sad really when you think about it. 

I wouldn't agree with that. I agree that we are accepting of being relegated. I think most fans reasonably went into this season thinking if relegation happened, it would be understandable. 

I don't think anyone expected to be relegated. I expected us to put up a good fight. We definitely haven't done that.

I feel bad about saying this but I think our defence will be better if we sell Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis. No doubt they all have huge potential but none defend well enough and it’s just disastrous as a combination.

Hanley, Zimmerman, Byram and one kid (Lewis or the cov lad) will be stronger and more able to cope in championship 

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Can appreciate what you're saying but we have too many indians and too few chiefs at the moment. Farke isn't the hairdryer type, and someone needs to hold players accountable. It doesn't need to be a screamer, but it needs to be someone vocal and assured.

This is the crux of the matter for me. 

It is no coincidence that just after Tettey went off was the first time our midfield got totally stranded upfield and we conceded a breakaway goal.

Our team lacks the experience and calm of campaigners that have been here, done this. We have (had) a wonderful young side full of guile but very few characters that can hold the line when PL sides start asking tough questions.

Defensive injuries have played a key role but I'd expect a few more slightly uglier, PL experienced players to come in in the foreseeable.