Sign in to follow this  
Rivvo

Kick over the statues

Apparently the club are considering erecting statues to Duncan Forbes and Justin Fashanu, I wonder where they’ll site them?

Why Justin Fashanu though? 

Why not a manager who lifted a trophy like Ken Brown, or Jeremy Goss for his famous goals including the Bayern volley? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

How disappointing-I thought this was going to be about one of the greatest bands ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

How disappointing-I thought this was going to be about one of the greatest bands ever.

Indeed, the power is yours.

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Says whomst?

Morty  told me, or is that you?

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

No they are not.

Well I said apparently as I don’t know the source myself, my son passed it on to me and he used to work at the club and still has connections there. I guess we’ll see if it’s true or not in the coming weeks.

Wouldn’t the most obvious candidate for a statue be Delia Smith? Saved the club and has overseen the development of the club top to bottom into the slick, professional and successful operation that it is now. 

That’s what I thought of too! I must be getting old, I have a vague recollection of seeing them live, but I couldn’t swear to it. Did they do the Red Wedge tour?

Edited by Nuff Said

4 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Wouldn’t the most obvious candidate for a statue be Delia Smith? Saved the club and has overseen the development of the club top to bottom into the slick, professional and successful operation that it is now. 

BF2C62A9-11AE-4108-BEAF-4D983E7B6E54.jpeg

Great live.... Met X Moore? Once.... Nice fella. Saw them play behind the old GLC buildings... Bit of a ruck with some Nazis who got chased over the bridge... 

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That’s what I thought of too! I must be getting old, I have a vague recollection of seeing them live, but I couldn’t swear to it. Did they do the Red Wedge tour?

I think they thought Red Wedge wasn’t political enough so they didn’t join up.

22 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Definitely. We should start a campaign: DELIA OUTside the Jarrold.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Great live.... Met X Moore? Once.... Nice fella. Saw them play behind the old GLC buildings... Bit of a ruck with some Nazis who got chased over the bridge... 

Yeah, I went to that one-The Smiths headlined. Some friends of mine found themselves among a group of NF supporters during The Redskins’ set and heard them planning to storm the stage-it was pretty hairy!
I’ve always said that more music is written and played by left wingers than right wingers-and there aren’t many musicians more left wing than X Moore 😄

25 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Yeah, I went to that one-The Smiths headlined. Some friends of mine found themselves among a group of NF supporters during The Redskins’ set and heard them planning to storm the stage-it was pretty hairy!
I’ve always said that more music is written and played by left wingers than right wingers-and there aren’t many musicians more left wing than X Moore 😄

Was extremely hairy... Remember Misty in Roots dealing with the nazis pretty effectively 😂

14 hours ago, Rivvo said:

Apparently the club are considering erecting statues to Duncan Forbes and Justin Fashanu, I wonder where they’ll site them?

Amazing how rumours get distorted in this internet age. There is a statue planned - but of Geoffrey Watling, carrying a large wallet.🤓

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rivvo said:

Well I said apparently as I don’t know the source myself, my son passed it on to me and he used to work at the club and still has connections there. I guess we’ll see if it’s true or not in the coming weeks.

My comment was based on conversations via phone and e-mail which resulted in a meeting with Ben Kensall in his office following the death of Roy Blower. I had asked whether the club would consider naming a room in memory of Roy and Ben stated that he was not a fan of that type of memorial as eventually you run out of rooms over time. This meeting came about after i spoke to Delia briefly at the AGM where she agreed that Roy should have a permanent reminder and said that the executive directors would look into it. I was rather sceptical that it would move forward but hey ho it appears not to be the case.

The death of Big Dunc came shortly before this initial meeting and it was obvious that he would also be remembered in a permanent way and Ben was to be in conversation with the Forbes family.

The plan involves using the footprint around the whole ground which gives scope to be added to over many years to come. I have seen what it would involve and Ben gave me a couple of documents as a guide to what he has in mind which i have given to Beryl, Roy's widow seeking her views.

It does not involve statues i can assure you but until the plan progresses and is made public it is not right that i publish it on a football forum. Obviously events since mid March have stalled the proposed project.