cambridgeshire canary

'DOOMED' Norwich stars to see wages cut in half

Then why post here about it?

The forum is filled with enough nonsense as it is.

But The Sun pedalling 'DOOMED, ALL OF THEM. DOOMED I TELL YA'.

Does it get any lower?

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Presumably there is some truth in this, relegation clause and all that, but on the other hand they will be promised a massive bonus should we get promoted again.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I reckon there's probably one or two this is true for, but 'A few of Norwichs players have relegation clauses of 50%' won't get as many clicks as 'entire squad doomed, Norwich adding 50% of total wage bill to mysterious pile of cash'.

I've holstered my grief about this season now until the first game of next season. I'm strangely optimistic about the in-between time. 

Just now, Mason 47 said:

I reckon there's probably one or two this is true for, but 'A few of Norwichs players have relegation clauses of 50%' won't get as many clicks as 'entire squad doomed, Norwich adding 50% of total wage bill to mysterious pile of cash'.

I've holstered my grief about this season now until the first game of next season. I'm strangely optimistic about the in-between time. 

Given how our players are being paid the lowest wages of any Premier Leauge club, and are also amongst the lowest in the Championship too-

Would be interesting to see the full payroll if every player gets them cut in half..

After the mistakes of the past i would be gobsmacked if all the players did not have substantial relegation clauses whether that be 50% or 40% Even that will not leave much wriggle room next season despite parachute payments if most or all the season is lost to paying customers. It does add to the likelihood that some of the young talent will go if there are attractive bids for them as the club will be on a tight financial string and players would look to boost their income

I thought the whole point was that all clubs learnt from the likes of Pompey, in that relegation clauses were a must.  There’s nothing new in it at all, it’s a complete ‘nothing’ story.

• Like 1

The vast majority of the squad signed new contracts after promotion so it is possible that they all had a relegation clause, but Hanley, Lewis and Leitner signed their contracts in 2018, when promotion was a twinkle in the eye so would they have had exactly the same % clause?

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought the whole point was that all clubs learnt from the likes of Pompey, in that relegation clauses were a must.  There’s nothing new in it at all, it’s a complete ‘nothing’ story.

Players return to level of pay when they were last in the Championship

(headline in the Daily Bill)

Seems sense to me

• Like 1

Let's say our ceiling was £10k last year, the young players signed contracts of £20-25k this year, back down to £10-12k next year...even assuming that's remotely in the right ballpark, it's going to be very tough to convince them to stay if EPL clubs come knocking offering to triple or quadruple their wages every week (even the mid-lower table clubs would be offering that sort of cash).

More reason for our prized assets to leave if this is true. 

Could even have an impact on the amount we recieve if players choose to force transfers as a result. 

You would like to think that with everything that’s gone on this year that things couldn’t possibly go back to how they were, could they?

I'm not holding my breath Though.

Someone quite knowledgeable  maybe Bethnalo said only recently it was around the 35% cut mark. Sounds about right . even 40 I could believe  but 50, that's a tough call on anybody not on over 200 grand a year  . Given that they will have big financial commitments  themselves.

The above paragraph only  applies to the rarified atmosphere of the  pro footy bubble. I'd happily take 100 grand a year btw ....if anyones offering. Not prepared to move from where I live , or commute for more than 30 mins each way...preferably  passing a river , lake or patch of coastline during the journey  . Also prepared to work from home for 95 k.   Max 12 hrs per week , Including  meal breaks and transindental meditation  1 hour in 4. Company car not important.

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

The vast majority of the squad signed new contracts after promotion so it is possible that they all had a relegation clause, but Hanley, Lewis and Leitner signed their contracts in 2018, when promotion was a twinkle in the eye so would they have had exactly the same % clause?

I’d imagine there was a wage increase on promotion and the clauses will be different in their contracts. You’d think this will effect the 13 who signed new deals last summer.

Unbelievable that people think certain  players will be philosophical regarding a pay cut and be chomping at the bit to help the club next season. 

On a positive note there’s going to be bucket loads of cash in the pot to purchase fresh talent. Let’s hope a decent percentage is made available to mount a serious challenge next season. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Someone quite knowledgeable  maybe Bethnalo said only recently it was around the 35% cut mark. Sounds about right . even 40 I could believe  but 50, that's a tough call on anybody not on over 200 grand a year  . Given that they will have big financial commitments  themselves.

The above paragraph only  applies to the rarified atmosphere of the  pro footy bubble. I'd happily take 100 grand a year btw ....if anyones offering. Not prepared to move from where I live , or commute for more than 30 mins each way...preferably  passing a river , lake or patch of coastline during the journey  . Also prepared to work from home for 95 k.   Max 12 hrs per week , Including  meal breaks and transindental meditation  1 hour in 4. Company car not important.

Funnily enough, I mentioned on a thread last week that on Football Manager the whole first team squad was on a 35% cut. I don't know whether that means that FM is right or if Bethnal was just getting his info from FM 😀

Corky, I could have sworn I saw an ad looking for an angling and TM consultant out on Dursey Island, 94K per year + luncheon vouchers, two days working from home for 6.5 hours each day, with a DeLorean company car thrown in. Would you be interested? 

7 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Corky, I could have sworn I saw an ad looking for an angling and TM consultant out on Dursey Island, 94K per year + luncheon vouchers, two days working from home for 6.5 hours each day, with a DeLorean company car thrown in. Would you be interested? 

Get the Delorean  out of the deal, they could use it for the cable car carriage, it doesnt tickle me at all. Are the luncheon vouchers for organic  lunches?  Other than the extra half hour per day which I'm not sure about  committing to ( tides wait for no man) the deal seem reasonable enough.  I'm a bit more than half an hour away, even in a Delorean,from Dursey ( who isnt) though. So I'll politely  decline. Thanks for thinking of me though Paddyo. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Funnily enough, I mentioned on a thread last week that on Football Manager the whole first team squad was on a 35% cut. I don't know whether that means that FM is right or if Bethnal was just getting his info from FM 😀

Bethnalo could be getting unfairly quoted, maybe it was you and I missed the FM bit.  To me FM means Frequency Modulation, so I have to double take whenever its mentioned on here as I've never seen the game.... am I allowed to call it that?  Seems its quite the thing for a few posters. 

Bethnalo could be getting unfairly quoted, maybe it was you and I missed the FM bit.  To me FM means Frequency Modulation, so I have to double take whenever its mentioned on here as I've never seen the game.... am I allowed to call it that?  Seems its quite the thing for a few posters. 

Just don't start singing Jonathan Richman's Roadrunner 😜 

Oops, just read the lyrics, they mention AM a lot but not FM!

Edited by Mr Angry

Got to feel sorry for these overpaid NCFC players