Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Sheff Utd borrowing to buy back stadium (and hotel)

It has just been revealed that following the ownership shenanigans earlier this season, the Prince that won ownership as part of the deal had to buy the ground, the training complex and the hotel in the corner of the ground as part of the court decision.  And how has this been managed; by the club borrowing £50 million.  This part of the deal only went through on 1 July.   

Yet another owner using the football club as a piggy bank to support his new plaything.  Lucky they were injury free for so much of the season, and thus staying up, else they'd be in the ****e now. Still at least they will be EPL next year.  But this will surely restrict their ambition in transfer market in the summer.  We could be waving at them as we return next summer and they go the other way.

Anyone think we could replace the City Stand with borrowing & building costs etc. for £50m all in when next we get promoted? 😉

Be interesting if they struggle next season, which is incredibly possible.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Leeds, Brighton and Sheffield Utd for the drop then? 

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Alreay been found out, no barcalona away euro trip as their fans thought.

Second season syndrome will hit them hard next season

9 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Why can’t we be northern

They don't come much further north than your neck of the woods.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Are Leeds up already, I must have missed that?😉

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Pardon ?

Next season, the dream for me would be West Ham, Leeds and Brighton all to come back down. I suspect West Ham won’t be quite as bad next season, Leeds could go either way, Brighton look as weak as anyone and are at the moment my favourites to finish bottom of the table

That would be nice.

The ownership stuff going on behind the scenes does make the job Wilder has done that much more remarkable.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Next season, the dream for me would be West Ham, Leeds and Brighton all to come back down. I suspect West Ham won’t be quite as bad next season, Leeds could go either way, Brighton look as weak as anyone and are at the moment my favourites to finish bottom of the table

How are Brighton that weak based on 2 matches you’ve seen them in? 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How are Brighton that weak based on 2 matches you’ve seen them in? 

They looked better the first time we played them earlier in the season, but I thought they looked absolutely bloody dreadful against us on Saturday - and that’s saying a lot given our performance!

That gets me thinking actually, if business travel and tourism / the night time economy is hit hard for the longer term, Holiday Inn may have a rethink about their location strategy? 

Could be a possible opportunity to buy back the hotel on the cheap (cancel lease and return their £1m?) and just bulldoze it? 

Lots of companies making decisions about locations right now, Pret just announced 30 branch closures including Norwich Chapelfield.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

They looked better the first time we played them earlier in the season, but I thought they looked absolutely bloody dreadful against us on Saturday - and that’s saying a lot given our performance!

I really like Neil Maupay though, would have loved us to sign him as the Pukki competition and eventual successor. 

Was £20m though and I think its clear we didn't have that sort of money to spend this time. 

But if they do go down they will be going down with a Championship top scorer contender and at 23 he'll only get better if he remains clear of serious injuries. 

Very good set of centre backs they have too. If given the option to swap our group of centre backs with theirs, in their entirety, then I'd be sad to lose Zimermann but I'd definitely do that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Noted.

Look forward to bouncing this next season  You lot never learn. 

Edited by peter72

21 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, no teams having to do too much to turn us over lately. 

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I really like Neil Maupay though, would have loved us to sign him as the Pukki competition and eventual successor. 

Was £20m though and I think its clear we didn't have that sort of money to spend this time. 

But if they do go down they will be going down with a Championship top scorer contender and at 23 he'll only get better if he remains clear of serious injuries. 

Very good set of centre backs they have too. If given the option to swap our group of centre backs with theirs, in their entirety, then I'd be sad to lose Zimermann but I'd definitely do that. 

Can’t disagree with any of that, TvB, that is where their strengths are, I think Maupay has shown he can be a nuisance in the PL and whereas I think we’d all agree he wouldn’t end up in a top 6 side, you kind of feel like he’d move on if Brighton get relegated next season - you never know, he might even finally end up joining us if we go up and Brighton come down. Be interesting to see if Dunk etc hang around or move up the pecking order to a Burnley or Palace this summer, I thought Spurs or Arsenal were interested in Dunk at one point - reckon they’ll do well to keep hold of him. The rest of their team just looks ‘ok’ to me, just like us, they didn’t struggle for no reason and would likely be right in the shoite if the season wasn’t curtailed given their atrocious form at that point. I honestly thought they were one of the worst teams, if not the worst team, I’d seen us play this season on Saturday. And that’s really saying something given how useless we were. They were better at the Amex against us though, I think it’s fair enough to say that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Can’t disagree with any of that, TvB, that is where their strengths are, I think Maupay has shown he can be a nuisance in the PL and whereas I think we’d all agree he wouldn’t end up in a top 6 side, you kind of feel like he’d move on if Brighton get relegated next season - you never know, he might even finally end up joining us if we go up and Brighton come down. Be interesting to see if Dunk etc hang around or move up the pecking order to a Burnley or Palace this summer, I thought Spurs or Arsenal were interested in Dunk at one point - reckon they’ll do well to keep hold of him. The rest of their team just looks ‘ok’ to me, just like us, they didn’t struggle for no reason and would likely be right in the shoite if the season wasn’t curtailed given their atrocious form at that point. I honestly thought they were one of the worst teams, if not the worst team, I’d seen us play this season on Saturday. And that’s really saying something given how useless we were. They were better at the Amex against us though, I think it’s fair enough to say that. 

Should imagine Maupay would have half an eye on winning a France cap or two at some stage so status of club will be important.

You could see him perhaps wanting to play for one of the bigger French sides (outside of PSG of course), e.g. Lyon or Marseille.

But yeah possibly another Premier League move, Newcastle seems to have a long association with French players... always seem to have a few! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

At least two of those promoted will go straight down - probably West Brom and whoever goes up in the playoffs. Think Leeds will be OK with Buendia creating chances for Pukki!

As an aside, Leeds sold Elland Road in 2004 to pay off debts after relegation and were paying £2 million+ a season in rent until the current owner (Radrizzani) paid £20 million to buy it back in 2017, without his investment the club wouldn't be where they are now.