Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Jens Berthel Askou remembers Canaries stay

He was agricultural, perhaps that is a good term. Not the quickest to react to the play but whole hearted in tackling. Not the worst we've had by a long chalk. Can't remember if he left under Lambert because Whitbread got the gig? 

29 minutes ago, sonyc said:

He was agricultural, perhaps that is a good term. Not the quickest to react to the play but whole hearted in tackling. Not the worst we've had by a long chalk. Can't remember if he left under Lambert because Whitbread got the gig? 

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/askou.htm

I listened to the podcast. It's long! But if you listen from 35m there's some fascinating stuff about his time in Turkey, his time here and a loan spell at Millwall. 

It seems he got his contract partly because our players weren't particularly fit when they returned after relegation to League One. But I love how he talks about our club. Remember this isn't an interview meant for us to hear. Our club has such a good reputation all over the world spread by those with first hand knowledge.

Will he be back here one day as a coach? He'd clearly love to. He's doing well where he is and I'm sure is somewhere on our club's radar. But his philosophy is more like Lambert than Farke.

Thanks for that Nutty. I always enjoy reading what ex players think (with the one exception possibly ...more may come to mind, yet Danny Mills certainly). He always looked committed. And clearly he loved the attention he got and appreciated it. Perhaps, players who don't  always go on to bigger things still have something to prove and their energy goes into management by default because they live football every minute.

It's a great thing to hear stuff as you say, not even specially written for our domestic audience. Lots of ex players are positive aren't they? I read about Earnie recently too, very kind towards us. Wished we had kept him longer. Same with Giallanza before his injury (as an agent, he pointed us to Klose I recall?)

Will follow Askou's progress.

Edited by sonyc

He weren't terrible from what I can remember, looked decent in League One and not very often beaten in the air but weren't the quickest, that was probably his level. 

The Danish Sean Raggett probably the best way to describe him. 

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/askou.htm

I listened to the podcast. It's long! But if you listen from 35m there's some fascinating stuff about his time in Turkey, his time here and a loan spell at Millwall. 

It seems he got his contract partly because our players weren't particularly fit when they returned after relegation to League One. But I love how he talks about our club. Remember this isn't an interview meant for us to hear. Our club has such a good reputation all over the world spread by those with first hand knowledge.

Will he be back here one day as a coach? He'd clearly love to. He's doing well where he is and I'm sure is somewhere on our club's radar. But his philosophy is more like Lambert than Farke.

The lack of fitness is what did for Gunn I think- lots of rumours at the time about McNally being shocked at how poor our preparations were during pre season.

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

The lack of fitness is what did for Gunn I think- lots of rumours at the time about McNally being shocked at how poor our preparations were during pre season.

Askou certainly felt he had a fitness advantage pre season when he joined. Colchester 1-7 I didn't think Holty looked anywhere near fit. Yet I went down to Yeovil a few days later and he looked the real deal scoring a perfect hat-trick. Then Lambert came in and banished Wes and The Doc. Were they not fit? Who knows but they're both good pros and both came back to play a huge part in our subsequent promotion.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Askou certainly felt he had a fitness advantage pre season when he joined. Colchester 1-7 I didn't think Holty looked anywhere near fit. Yet I went down to Yeovil a few days later and he looked the real deal scoring a perfect hat-trick. Then Lambert came in and banished Wes and The Doc. Were they not fit? Who knows but they're both good pros and both came back to play a huge part in our subsequent promotion.

Michael Bailey did an article about it for the Atlantic and I'm sure it mentioned about why those two got frozen out- I'll go back and check. 

I think those two and Darrel Russell were some of our highest earners too so there might have been some thought of moving them on.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Michael Bailey's a PUP. You can trust him implicitly 👍

Just looked back- Lambert says he thought Wes was overweight during the 7-1 and told him so when he joined. Maybe the same for the Doc?

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just looked back- Lambert says he thought Wes was overweight during the 7-1 and told him so when he joined. Maybe the same for the Doc?

Maybe. We will never really know.

But it's great to hear interviews like this one with Askou. Because it wasn't done for any Norwich publication there's no bias. Our club comes out of it very well and I no longer just remember Askou for hoofing it over the Jarrold...